Workout to fix eating over calories?

Options
Is it possible to use the math of creating a deficit to stay on track after a bad week?

If I'm over my calories for the week by 985 am I able to make that up by working out to burn that extra 985 I went over in one day?

Does it work like this?

Replies

• peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Technically thats what we are doing here. We ate and ate over the passed years and now we are exercising and exercising to make up for it.

But generally the consensus I have found on here is that each day is a new day and you cant exactly make it up a few days later. Things break down, things get stored and turn into fat, etc.
  • Crysiira
    Crysiira Posts: 7
    Options
    I kind of agree. I mean, I tend to work out more on some days than others but I don't see it as "making up for a bad week". Pretty much what Peanut said, every day is a new day!

Then again I do go over my calorie goal on some days, and sometimes I'm 100+ calories under. And I've lost going on 20lb. So it's working for me. You just have to find what works well for you! :) Good luck!
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think you ought to do what works for you. I would just take care not to turn it into a kind of punishment, you know?
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I know of some people who use a weekly calorie goal rather than daily. I don't do that personally, but it works for some. I'm assuming they go over goal on some days, and under on other, but total it up for the week. You may want to try something like that.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been known to have a heavier workout to offset some "overeating" earlier in the week. I've done it to prepare for an upcoming event or something. Do I think working out on Saturday offsets the fact I overate on Monday? Not really, but I do not think everything is rest at midnight either. Seems to work for me.

I also figure while doing an extra workout might not offset anything I did earlier in the week, it's not going to negativity affect me either. Mentally it makes me feel better to do the extra exercise.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Yep. Focus on the weekly, not the daily.

I went over by nearly 1,200 in one meal within the first few weeks of starting MFP this round. Reduced the calories a bit here and there to level out the deficit. Still lost a pound that week.

Don't feel so guilty over a 'bad' food day. Enjoy the food! Don't make it all or nothing. Keep on keepin' on. You'll do just fine. :smile:
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. i really like the idea of having weekly goal. i wonder if i could stick to something like that.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use a weekly calorie goal. My body doesn't have a cut-off at midnight to burn fat, so I see it as a continuous process. And you know, if I'm slightly over or under one week, I might even make it up the next week.

It's handy for there to be a "start over" button. If we overeat one day, we get to start anew the next. But if you can handle it, there's nothing wrong with working it out over a longer period. I like feeling like I can't screw anything up in one day. My body can use all the fat and carbs in that slice of cheesecake...but it might have enough to go on for a while :)
  • rsensenig
    rsensenig Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you are working towards a goal, monitoring your food, and being active. Those things will all lead to a healthier "YOU" and that is what this is all about. Don't stress over a day here or there where you might eat more thatn your goal. Keep up the good work and don't torture yourself while working toward your long term goals. ENJOY THE RIDE..
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have learned to not to workout just because I ate a little over plan and I wanted to quickly burn those evil extra calories off. What I was doing was equating exercise as punishment for eating too much. Those extra workouts did not improve my eating habits and I stopped exercising for extended periods of time due to frustration/burnout.
  • d3v3r3aux
    d3v3r3aux Posts: 4
    Options
    This is what I like about MFP. If at 5pm I have reached my caloric goal for the day nut am still hungry, I know I HAVE to workout if I want to eat more. It motivates me to keep on track and stay active. Putting it off for another day or the end of the week is what got me overweight in the first place.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    As other posters said, a weekly goal may work better for you than daily. Our body doesn't reset at midnight. Sometimes it takes a few days for our bad behavior to show up on the scale just like it can take some time for the scale to show our positive efforts. ff you do feel like you had a bad week, I don't see anything wrong with stepping it up exercise wise the next week. Even if it doesn't have an impact on the scale, it may help you feel more proactive about your journey and not get discouraged for last week's slip ups.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you are working towards a goal, monitoring your food, and being active. Those things will all lead to a healthier "YOU" and that is what this is all about. Don't stress over a day here or there where you might eat more thatn your goal. Keep up the good work and don't torture yourself while working toward your long term goals. ENJOY THE RIDE..

And I second this as well. Stressing over each day and a every calorie can sometimes set you up to fail. Sometimes we slip up, sometimes we are in the red, sometimes we miss our workouts. It is hard to be perfect 100 % of the time. Just do your best and keep pushing.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options

And I second this as well. Stressing over each day and a every calorie can sometimes set you up to fail. Sometimes we slip up, sometimes we are in the red, sometimes we miss our workouts. It is hard to be perfect 100 % of the time. Just do your best and keep pushing.

Couldnt say it better.