Random Question for Trainers

Options
Hello...

So, I just have a random question for all the trainers out there, or maybe others who know stuff about the body... I have been in a regular running routine for the last few months, and I usually feel great after a run, your usual workout glow, no big thing. I've also been getting into nice long-ish walks as of late...

Okay. So after I come in from a long walk, my legs are always jumping and ticking all over, like a car cooling down after a long drive.... it's so weird.... my muscles are having all these little spasms all over as they calm down after the walk... but -- this never happens after I run! And I would assume that muscles would be more prone to jump all over after running than walking... Or maybe because my strides are longer when walking, the muscles are doing more...??

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone knows what this is or has experienced something similar...

:)

Replies

• beachmommy87
    beachmommy87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am TOTALLY curious to know the answer to this as well....because the EXACT same thing happens to me when I walk!!! I run 4 miles every morning & it never happens after I run....only when I walk....hmmmmmm???

Can't wait to hear the answer to this!!

-M :)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Me too! I know that I stretch more after a run and not so much after a walk, so maybe the stride-length thing plays a role...
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's simply benign fasciculation syndrome. Lactic acid pools around your muscles as your relaxed after a work out. When you move around, the lactic acid moves around, ceasing the twitching sensation. Another reason would be the motor neurons are revved up and ramped up after a work out, causing a twitching sensation in the muscle, sort of like over excitement. At least that's what I learned in my anatomy and physiology classes in medic school.
  • elyse09
    elyse09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a herniated disc in my lower back and have just found out I also have busitis in bith hips. I work almost full time hours and have been told by my doctor to cut back the amount I walk for exercise.

I cannot run or ride a bike for exercise. I find water good but cannot do it very often because of the weather and access to a public pool.

What kind of exercises should I be doing and how often? Can anyone help me???
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    have you tried yoga? or maybe nia?