Condiments & Dressings

Options
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing well on my diet but I still have a way to go. The problem I have is with condiments and dressings. I'm a big fan of Mayo and when I have a salad I like to use a lot of dressing. I've found lower calorie options but they just taste horrendous to me. There are some good light dressings out there but their calories still add up due to their small serving size.

Any good replacements or something I can make on my own? Thanks!

Replies

• skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I replace mayo and cheese on my sandwich with Lucerne whipped cream cheese (w/ chives). Tastes delicious and satisfies that mayo craving :)
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm doing well on my diet but I still have a way to go. The problem I have is with condiments and dressings. I'm a big fan of Mayo and when I have a salad I like to use a lot of dressing. I've found lower calorie options but they just taste horrendous to me. There are some good light dressings out there but their calories still add up due to their small serving size.

Any good replacements or something I can make on my own? Thanks!

Can you measure/weigh appropriate portions of your favorite dressings? You don't necessarily have to have diet food when you are trying to lose weight.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Try doing the serving size of your favorite dressing (2 tbsp) in a salad...but put it in the bottom of a container, add your salad/add-ins, put a lid on it and shake it up. Or toss it somehow. Coat your salad. You won't be deprived of the good stuff and it gets evenly distributed.

Salsa is a very nice low-cal 'dressing.'

As for sandwiches...yeah, can't help you as I'm not a huge sandwich condiment fan other than mustard (which is a somewhat no-cal food item). Try avocado in place of mayo? It's a good fat. Mashed up well, it spreads like mayo. It tastes amazing with anything.

Or just have mayo. A serving size or two. Work it in to your day.

None of it is bad! No need to give up the stuff you love just because you're trying to eat better. Treat this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. :smile:
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My salad dressing is straight balsamic vinegar, more than enough flavor for me.
    I don't buy the cheap stuff though, I think the bottle I buy is around $20 but it lasts a long time since I use just a small amount as the flavor is so intense.

I also am a fan of Sriracha sauce for my quinoa and brown rice.

Cholula hot sauce for my wraps of cheese and kippers.

Never been a fan of mayo, so don't know what a replacement would be. On the occasional sandwich I use a high quality mustard. Again, I pay more up front but use less of it each time because it has a lot of flavor.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I replace mayo and cheese on my sandwich with Lucerne whipped cream cheese (w/ chives). Tastes delicious and satisfies that mayo craving :)

What a fantastic idea!! Thanks for that. I also like mayo a lot, but my hubby doesn't like the low-fat stuff, and I don't want to spend money on two in the house when I don't use it a ton. I do keep Laughing Cow cheese around though, so I could definitely use it like this!

OP, I just measure out the amount I want to use if I have room for it in my day. If not, I use less of it. But the above ideas are all great! You don't have to give up your fave foods.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't replace mayo, I use an Olive Oil mayo and have just learned to living with a smaller serving. You can "cut" mayo with a little vinegar or lemon juice, makes it a little runnier (and a little tarter), but it also goes farther in a salad.

I've been subbing mashed avocado for mayo on my sandwiches lately and I love that. It' actually more calories, but nutritionally more dense. So good!
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You might try mixing mayonnaise with non-fat plain yogurt (1:1). I like it more than any of the "lite" mayonnaises.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use one tbsp. of rea mayo with 1 tbsp light ranch salad dressing, mixed together. Cuts down a little bit and it tastes just as good I think.:drinker:
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Personally - I am a honey mustard loving FREAK - would pour that stuff in my cereal if my family would let me lol. LOVE LOVE LOVE honey mustard - so i went out on a limb and tried something....

0% fat oykos PLAIN greek yogurt + mustard + honey + seasonings (just had to play around with it til it 'worked').....
    and there I had honey mustard!

Still a bit too tart - as greek yogurt can be - so I wouldn't say this version I would eat off a spoon or nothing lol - but it still worked as a replacement for honey mustard on my sandwhiches - and dipping nuggets into - etc.

plain greek yogurt - what a lovely gift! lol :)
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Holy crap these ideas are amazing!!! I never even thought of 'cutting' my mayo with something. Nifty tips. Thanks!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Fat-free Miracle Whip has 15 calories/tablespoon, and I don't taste a difference between that and the original -- unless you're a mayo-only kinda guy. As for dressing, eat the one you love. I'm the type of person who enjoys a lot of dressing on my salad. With my favorite creamy caesar (Pure Kraft), two tablespoons is plenty for a large'ish salad.