Replies

• AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to your breathing next time.

When I first started running, I would not notice it but I breathed with each step. Made my heart rate sky rocket and I was pooped after 2 miles. When I changed my breathing, I could do 6 miles.

It's worth seeing if you are breathing right.

also running uses different muscles than cycling, so don't be hard on yourself that the one you do more you are better at.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hey... sorry if I missed the party and someone else already mentioned this. You don't necessarily need an HRM or expensive watch to be a runner. I use GMap-Pedometer.com to plan my routes and it provides me a fairly good idea of my distance.

I take a note of when I leave and when I return. Time vs distance gives me an idea of my pace. No HRM or GPS required. Your heart rate can be determined with a watch and two fingers.

From the sounds of things however, you are running too hard for your fitness level and are running into the anaerobic zone. You want to keep in the aerobic zone. Can you speak in full sentences while running? If not, you are going too fast and should slow down to a more conversational pace. Simplistically speaking, running at a slower pace teaches your body to burn fat ahead of glycogen. If weight loss is your goal... this is a good thing.

Feel free to add me if you have questions.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A big part of it is simply adaptation. I know people who can run forever but say they struggle with being able to jump rope for more than 30 seconds. Me, I can jump rope for 45 minute sessions but can't run for more than a minute. Practiced activity becomes easier regardless of fitness level.

^^^so true. i used to be a runner. i could easily head out and run for many miles non-stop and not feel overly exerted. Then various injuries sidelined me and i ultimately switched to other activities, primarily plyometric interval routines and tabata drills. I also have been doing lots of calisthenics & circuit training. So i'm conditioned to do those types of exercises now. and i am quite good at it. I have been walking as well, and i can walk 5.0mph which is pretty fast. but every time i try to get back into running i end up giving up because it is so hard. or i get injured because I keep trying to force it.....

The past few weeks I have decided to give it a go again, but i decided that this time around I should give my body time to adjust. So I am doing walking/jogging interval training to build up stamina & endurance. I do it several times a week and each time i head out i increase the time of the running intervals. This is allowing me to slowly build up to a "real" run.

For me, it is not only difficult as far as my breathing & perceived exertion, but also trying to get my form right (i underpronate & am a heal striker prone to shin splints). So the interval training is working well for me.......

You could try the intervals like i am & see how that works for you...Or since you can already able to sustain a run for about a 1/2 hr non-stop, maybe you just need to take it down a notch so that you won't feel that winded & sick afterwards. Give yourself time to build up to a faster pace.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think the burn numbers you have are likely not correct. Burning 1000 calories an hour requires a lot of effort, as in continuous strain, for just about any activity. So I question whether you are really burning 1500 on a bike in 90 minutes. It would be almost impossible to do where I live because of the hills. If you peddled with effort you would have to go crazy fast down the hills and if you do any coasting there is no way you would get that much burn. Not trying to be snarky, just pointing out that you may not be comparing apples to apples.

Also, once you get used to running it becomes easier. I now suspect that Endomondo gives me too much credit for running because I can run 4 or 5 miles and still have plenty of energy left. Yes, I still need to cool and I still sweat like crazy, but it doesn't wipe me out anymore.

Are you using a HRM with the Endomondo? Whole different ball game.
    No. I know I would get better numbers with one. When I was fat and out of shape, the numbers seemed pretty good based on what I ate and how much I lost. Now I am at 25 BMI and don't get winded easily and I think I am seeing fantasy numbers.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yeah I run regularly and cycle occasionally. I wore my Garmin on my last bike ride - 120 minutes on a dirt trail (flat-ish mostly) and got just under 700 calories burned. If I run an hour I get those same 700 calories burned. So cycling burns about half for me, but then the perceived effort is much lower than running too. I'd be wary of a 1500 calorie burn for 90 minutes unless you're doing hardcore fast road riding or uphill mountain biking.

350 calories in 28 minutes is a great burn.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I love the expression on your baby's face looking up at the monster. LOL He is a cutie.

Like the other posters stated, your calorie burns are off, but what you really need to know is that youre running too hard.

Run slow and at a pace that allows you to carry on a conversation using complete sentences. You will feel silly going so slow, but that is the best and safest way to build your cardio. Run slow and easy, if you get tired slow down even more. Dont push it, relax and enjoy the run.

Most of us long time runners can run for hours and not lose our breath or get tired, and it's not because we are superstars, it's because we stay within our groove. Dont give up on running, cuz you will be amazed at how easy it really is to do.

Feel free to inbox me if you have questions. Like all runners, I enjoy sharing the running life.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yeah, everybodys different. For me running is easy and enjoyable. It's lifting that's incredibly difficult and leaves me sore as all hell the next day
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Running kicks my butt as well. Though in terms of calorie burn a half hour at an 11min mile burns the same amount of calories as me riding at 20mph for an hour. Running is a full body work out and burns more than riding, though I suppose you could be riding all out and get it close.

I agree with the HRM mentions, I use one and it is really amazing to see what it takes to get my heartrate going. Calorie burn is subjective to how hard your heart is working...also another thing to consider is body weight, not everybody burns the same calories (like me at 310lbs vs. my 140lb coworker).

I say keep at it, and maybe get a runner friend to go out with you and help pace you, I have a coworker I run with and it has been a huge difference having her pace me than me trying to kill myself haha...
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a few months and have added some biking recently.

As far as I know, running is the most calorie burns cardio (about 110 calories / mile for me)
    Calorie burn from biking is about 30 - 40 calories / mile (got info from bikers at different websites)

Most people would traverse a specific distance faster by biking than by running. So, of course biking the same distance would result in fewer calories burned than had you run the distance. But if you run and bike for the same amount of *time* and at the same level of intensity, which would cause more calories to be burned?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's jus a matter of what particular activity your body is conditioned for. I find running easier than backpacking, so go figure.
  • woodyj30
    woodyj30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    wow, a lot of replies!! all a little complicated and missing the point. your fitness level for running is not good enough to get a huge calorie burn. pace is everything. the faster you run (for extended periods) the more calories burned. I've done 20mi at 8 min miles and burned about 2500 calories. tonight ran just under an hour at 7:41 and burned almost 1100. running sucks, but with patience determination and punishment you can get the big calorie burns your looking for!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a few months and have added some biking recently.

As far as I know, running is the most calorie burns cardio (about 110 calories / mile for me)
    Calorie burn from biking is about 30 - 40 calories / mile (got info from bikers at different websites)

Most people would traverse a specific distance faster by biking than by running. So, of course biking the same distance would result in fewer calories burned than had you run the distance. But if you run and bike for the same amount of *time* and at the same level of intensity, which would cause more calories to be burned?

Assuming everything else is equal (which is a big assumption), running will generally burn more calories than cycling sure to a higher workload.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    wow, a lot of replies!! all a little complicated and missing the point. your fitness level for running is not good enough to get a huge calorie burn. pace is everything. the faster you run (for extended periods) the more calories burned. I've done 20mi at 8 min miles and burned about 2500 calories. tonight ran just under an hour at 7:41 and burned almost 1100. running sucks, but with patience determination and punishment you can get the big calorie burns your looking for!

I don't think the replies are missing the point at all. Yes, you can get big burns running, but as you said, only if you run an hour or more straight and you get good at it. Plus, being a man makes your burn higher than the OP's. And you have to get good at it to run an hour or more. But even if you are super good at running - as you claim to be - you will still burn fewer calories biking for the same amount of time no matter how hard you go. The mechanics of a bike are such that the workload is reduced... that's why bikes were invented.

So the OP can get big burns cycling because she can go longer. But if she could run for even half the time as she can cycle, she could probably get the same burn. So, yes, she has to get better at it, but many of us were questioning a 1500 calorie burn with 90 minutes of cycling is all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

How are you measuring calorie burns? 1100 cals in 55ish minutes is 20cals/minute. It's exceptionally rare to be able to sustain that for any length of time.
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Last, my bet is that your calorie burns aren't correct. 90 minutes of cycling likely doesn't result in 1500 calories burned.

I tool along at an easy 17 mph for 90 minutes, that is 1400ish calories. (I say -ish because no measurement will be totally accurate unless done under laboratory conditions.) If I ramp it up just a bit on the speed, say 19 mph, the burn goes up to a little over 1500.

1500 is doable in 90 minutes depending on speed, rider's weight and whether the ride is on flats or hills.

Beyond that, yes, running is far more intense than cycling since you have no mechanical assistance in propelling your body forward and working against gravity. The calorie burn for running is almost 2-2.5 times that for cycling, given all other conditions are equal. Of course, we are talking 5-7 mph rather than 16-20 mph :wink:
  • 55in13
    Options

Last, my bet is that your calorie burns aren't correct. 90 minutes of cycling likely doesn't result in 1500 calories burned.

I tool along at an easy 17 mph for 90 minutes, that is 1400ish calories. (I say -ish because no measurement will be totally accurate unless done under laboratory conditions.) If I ramp it up just a bit on the speed, say 19 mph, the burn goes up to a little over 1500.

1500 is doable in 90 minutes depending on speed, rider's weight and whether the ride is on flats or hills.

Beyond that, yes, running is far more intense than cycling since you have no mechanical assistance in propelling your body forward and working against gravity. The calorie burn for running is almost 2-2.5 times that for cycling, given all other conditions are equal. Of course, we are talking 5-7 mph rather than 16-20 mph :wink:
    What are you using to measure burn?
    Here is a chart for different kinds of biking:
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm
  • elfpearl
    elfpearl Posts: 191
    Options
    IT WILL GET EASIER. I promise....seriously, keep at at, don't get discouraged, and if in 2-3 months it isn't easier, you can hunt me down and kill me. Seriously.
  • 55in13
    Options
    For me, the burn has stayed close to the same because I lost a lot of weight (a little over 50 pounds so far, and less than 10 to go :smile: ) as I progressed. I burned more calories per mile when I was heavier; that was about the only benefit...