Burritos to stash in your freezer!

banana_butterfly
banana_butterfly Posts: 29 Member
Hey everyone. I love having some burritos frozen and tucked away in my freezer for quick and filling snacking/meals. Each burrito will have 313 cal, 52 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein, 2 grams of sugar and 184 mg of sodium.
Ingredients:
8 medium tortillas
400 grams of beans(kidney or the like)
50 grams of mozzarella or swiss, shredded
Half a can of diced tomatoes in juice(200 grams)
Half a can of drained, washed corn(70 grams)
Half an onion and green pepper(medium)
50 grams of cooked rice
5 or so dashes of salt
Spices to taste(I use red hot chili peppers, black pepper, garlic powder and a dash of cumin)

Chop the onion and pepper, add to rice along with the corn, spices and salt. Add water and boil the rice. Set aside. Boil the beans until they are soft. Drain and mix with tomatoes and cheese. Mash the mixture. Add the rice mixture and mix well. Microwave the tortillas for about 40 seconds on low. Divide up the mixture into the tortillas. Roll em up and wait for them to cool completely. Put in freezer bags(you can put them all in the same bag, they won't stick) and freeze.

Microwave for about 1 minute on each side(high) when you would like to eat one. Enjoy!

Replies

• jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Bump for later..sounds good!
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Bump
  • altaroxy
    altaroxy Posts: 56 Member
    Bump
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    YUM. :heart:
  • jusa1011
    jusa1011 Posts: 21
    Your recipe sounds really good. I actually just made some beans, so I could use them for this. I like the low sodium content.
  • banana_butterfly
    Your recipe sounds really good. I actually just made some beans, so I could use them for this. I like the low sodium content.

That is exactly why I make these! I used to buy frozen bean burritos because they satisfied me without ruining my calorie budget, but the sodium content was off the charts! Now, whenever I have the urge to grab some soft, flavorful bean burritos, I just microwave one of these and it's ready pretty fast! :)
  • reneeb816
    reneeb816 Posts: 60 Member
    Are you using brown or white rice and is instant ok? What about canned beans that have been rinsed well (to get the sodium down.)

I love these kinds of recipes! Thank you for sharing!!:happy:
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    bump
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    bump
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    bump
  • banana_butterfly
    Are you using brown or white rice and is instant ok? What about canned beans that have been rinsed well (to get the sodium down.)

I love these kinds of recipes! Thank you for sharing!!:happy:

I used white rice, simply because it's cheaper and we have a lot of it. I put in rice, just to give a bit of texture, so any rice should be fine. I guess canned beans would work too if you rinse very well, as a matter of fact, they would probably be ready to get mushed a lot faster. I just don't use them, like you said, for the sodium content. You can use frozen as well.
  • lyssad2003
    lyssad2003 Posts: 39 Member
    BUMP
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Bump! I always spent a lot of money buying EVOL burritos. While they are extremely delicious, I believe I could save some cash by making these!
  • banana_butterfly
    bump
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    bump
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    bump!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Thanks, sounds great!

I want to bump the protein content up by adding some meat. What kind of meat should I add that will freeze and re-heat well in the burrito? I am new to freezing my meals :)
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    bump. Great idea!
  • craschi
    craschi Posts: 5 Member
    I've made a similar burrito in the past. You could add cooked ground beef, turkey, or chicken - they all freeze very well.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    bump