almond milk vs. cow's milk

Options
grdaze
grdaze Posts: 195 Member
I've read that milk is better for you than water to repair muscle damage after working out. I'm wondering if anyone knows if almond milk works the same way?

I occasionally will treat myself to 8oz of 1% with a brownie but I generally drink almond milk when I'm craving milk (or with my cereal).

Replies

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've looked at the nutrition facts labels on different brands of almond milk recently, and from what I've seen almond milk is not a significant source of protein. Milk and soy beverages, however, are good sources of protein.

From what I understand, our bodies benefit from fluids (to rehydrate) as well as carbs and protein after a workout. Milk and soy beverages would be ideal for this, since they contain all three. If you don't really like cow's milk, perhaps you could try almond milk mixed with a little protein powder. Or you can put together your own post-workout snack with foods you do like, so long as you're replenishing fluids and getting a little protein and carbs for muscle repair.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is just nut tea.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I put almond milk on my cereal ... but after reading your post about the protein content in soy, maybe I'll switch. I know that having protein in the mornings helps me stay full longer, so that's a plus....
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options

Nice.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Nice.

Really! It is! You crush up some nuts and put them in a sack and let the sack of crushed nuts- or 'nutsack' if you will- soak in water.
  • law1558
    law1558 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/almond-milk-vs-soy-milk-which-is-better-for-you.html

Interesting link that compares the nutritional values of almond and soy milk.
  • NewViolet
    NewViolet Posts: 3
    Options
    I hear Soy is not too great for hormones. I also believe protein from animal sources tend to be more beneficial. What about Goat's milk? Almond milk is okay, just make sure it does not have Carageenan in the added ingredients. Linked to cancer but some companies use it as a preservative.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Lots of people on MFP love it. I bought it just to see what it was about, but to be honest, I don't love any kind of milk. I'd rather eat cheese.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For muscle repair, it's cow's chocolate milk that's really great, because of the ratio sugar:protein.

Almond milk is great if you're watching your cholesterol or saturated fat intake (as there is none), if you really like dairy, but consuming too much, so you want to replace some milk you're having by something else, and other uses. But not a great protein source, hence not great after a work-out.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I believe cow's milk is better than almond milk. I use almond milk only when I want to lower calories in something like a protein shake.

Cow's milk has a lot more protein than almond milk. Protein is amazing to have after a workout.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!