diet soda when really hungry

Options
Today is one of those days when ur tummy feels like a hollow pit and no matter what u eat, u still are hungry...( am hoping some of u might relate to the feeling). and since it was not even after lunch, to curb my endless appetite, i had a diet coke. Now, i know, it is not healthy but thot at least it did not have calories :tongue: .
I have almost given up soda, and limit ,myself to one soda a week...( altho , love it anytime, anyplace...but tht is my weekly 'indulgence'). anyways, i know i did not do the right thing...but was it really really BAD!!! Any ideas what i should do next time....

Replies

• Crysiira
    Crysiira Posts: 7
    Options
    Water.

No really, if I'm really quite hungry and I know I shouldn't have any more calories I will drink an entire glass/bottle of water and I find it quite filling. It only works for me if I down it all in under 5 minutes though. If I just sip at it, then it's just a normal drink.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda to curb my appetite too, except I have no qualms about it, lol. I chew gum too to help.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Water, coffee, & diet soda
  • jsmiel01
    jsmiel01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that diet sodas trigger cravings for junk food. A handful of almonds and a glass of iced tea accomplish the same thing. If you like carbonated beverages, try a sparkling water like La Croix or something. I lived on diet Coke for 20 years, but eliminated all pop in February. So glad I did!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Drink the diet pop. Nothing wrong with it! Diet pop helps me when I want something sweet or I want to snack. It fills me up.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I use diet soda to curb hunger, works for me. I know some say they get sweet cravings from it, but I guess we're all different, it certainly satisfies my hunger/cravings for a while. :)
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I find that diet sodas trigger cravings for junk food. A handful of almonds and a glass of iced tea accomplish the same thing. If you like carbonated beverages, try a sparkling water like La Croix or something. I lived on diet Coke for 20 years, but eliminated all pop in February. So glad I did!

Except a 'handful of Almonds' could have 200 + calories, and presumably the OP is looking for something other than a 200 calorie snack to curb hunger pangs.
  • towens00
    Options

Except a 'handful of Almonds' could have 200 + calories, and presumably the OP is looking for something other than a 200 calorie snack to curb hunger pangs.

Yep
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Why not? If it's working for you why change?
  • towens00
    Options
    I use diet soda to curb hunger, works for me. I know some say they get sweet cravings from it, but I guess we're all different, it certainly satisfies my hunger/cravings for a while. :)

^^^^^this for me too
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why not? If it's working for you why change?

^^^ That.

If diet soda doesn't cause you cravings or issues, why do away with it?

I drink 1 or 2 a day. It keeps me from eating other sweets.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda to curb my appetite too, except I have no qualms about it, lol. I chew gum too to help.

Me, too. It works. Water only works for me if I am not very hungry. If I pound a bottle of water when I'm ravenous but know I've got a ways to go till I can eat (in the car or something), it really upsets my stomach.
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    thank u all for boosting it up for me......at least i will not hv a guilt trip anytime i have a diet soda!!!
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I also find that one diet soda helps get me through the day - no calories - and tastes AMAZING!!! I don't have a prob. with it causing sugar cravings (usually when I have a yearning, it's salty - chips, etc.) You will find people who are adamant on both sides - diet pop will kill you or diet pop is fine. Drink it if it helps.
  • DavieC82
    DavieC82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have one can of diet coke (the citrus one) with my lunch when out working. I keep reading different sites saying it's fine, or it'll rot your insides! I reckon common sense should apply here, all fine in moderation. If you're limiting yourself to one a week, then I'd imagine it's absolutely fine.

Personally, I compare it to what I'd drink beforehand at lunchtime, most likely a half-litre can of Rockstar/Monster/Relentless (whatever's cheapest in the shop), if I've swapped that for a 330ml diet drink, it's a helluva step in the right direction :)

I reckon I'm now ingesting less sugar in an entire day, than I'd find in one of those 'energy' drink cans.
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I was a diet soda addict for years but I found out that diet sodas actually causes obesity and cardiovascular problems. I haven't had a diet coke since (going on 1 year now) . For other negatives regarding diet soda, see links below.

http://www.faboverfifty.com/health/archives/181

http://www.leahkiefer.com/6-reasons-to-put-that-diet-soda-down-right-now/

To curb my appetite, I drink water or coconut water or sparkling water (no artificial sweeteners) I also chew gum or brush my teeth... If I'm really hungry though, I won't deprive myself of food. But I just try to make good choices.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I was a diet soda addict for years but I found out that diet sodas actually causes obesity and cardiovascular problems. I haven't had a diet coke since (going on 1 year now) . For other negatives regarding diet soda, see links below.

To curb my appetite, I drink water or coconut water or sparkling water (no artificial sweeteners) I also chew gum or brush my teeth... If I'm really hungry though, I won't deprive myself of food. But I just try to make good choices.

Both of those articles have no actual proof within them... which will be tough to find since there is no real evidence of the claims people make.

A diet drink that contains ZERO CALORIES will not make you gain weight and do not cause obesity. There is no way a zero calorie thing can make you gain fat weight.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I drink diet A&W root beer like it's water... Burn more than you consume, be aggressive about it. Work out harder. Don't over complicate things. Diet soda is not the problem.
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet soda is not a good way to curb hunger, while it may not make you hungry it can make you want the wrong foods and cause your body to not be able to process natural sugars correctly. Here is an article on the subject.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/377500-do-diet-sodas-make-you-hungry/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Diet soda DOESN'T cause obesity. Think sensibly here for a minute: How does drinking a diet drink with 0 calories add up to surplus?
    Look for better sources to research such as peer reviewed clinical studies. Studies that correlate obesity with diet sodas are just that.............correlation. It's like saying when the moon is full, people act crazier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition