Fitbit or Jawbone Up?

Options
ajdhut9
ajdhut9 Posts: 19 Member
I've got some friends that have both used the Jawbone Up and Fitbit and have received great reviews about both. Just wanted to know what the general consensus was. Are they worth their money?

The app for the Jawbone seems much more progressive and gives you a lot more information about your sleeping habits etc.

Any opinions?

Replies

• nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone UP and love it. There are things they need to work on to make the design better but whatever.

the fitbit - I would get the bracelet version - my friend has the plain fitbit and she pretty much never uses it because she forgets to attach it on her bra in the morning... so it's kind of worthless.

Withings has a new one out called Pulse - it looks fabulous but again not in bracelet form... which for me just doesn't work - it will end up in the washing machine... haha I sure hope they get a bracelet version because I would get one in an instant - it also has HRM on it.

There are 3 members of my family and we each have a jawbone UP.
  • ajdhut9
    ajdhut9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The bracelet version sounds much better. Like something you're not going to forget to wear. And if three people wear them in your household, they must be good.

• Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've got the Fitbit Flex and my buddy has the Up. He's thinking of getting the Fitbit because of how convenient bluetooth is when connecting to your phone. And the little LED progress lights are nice. I would say that the UI on the UP app might be slightly better but not by much. Everything you need is still in the Flex app. If you have friends that have one or the other, go with what they have. It's fun to get a little competitive with step counts.
  • do101
    do101 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am totally new here (MFP) ...and just ordered a Jawbone-UP...excited to get it and start moving.
    Any advice - re the J-UP?
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP. I orignally purchased the Fitbit Flex and my step count was way higher than my actual steps taken, plus, I always have my phone on me so if I'd leave the bluetooth turned on on my phone the flex was draining my battery. I love that the up vibrates when I've been inactive for 30 minutes, great reminder to get up and move, even if just a little bit.
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One of my friends gave me Up by Jawbone in May for my bday and ive started to loose weight it ever since I got it I was on WW for about a year and hit a platoo and stop loosing weight .I never take off the Jawbone I love it alot check out the review on it is a investment but, well worth it :wink:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Bodymedia Core 2, which is due out this fall. It's hard to wait, but I'm using it as some motivation for sticking with my food tracking. (I feel like I wouldn't really be able to justify buying one in a few months if I haven't managed to keep up with the food tracking--my logic anyway!) It's supposed to be able to sync by blue tooth. It's also supposed to have greater than 90% accuracy for calorie burn. There will be an optional (for a fee, of course) heart rate strap so everything can be integrated.

This decision is mostly based on online research of the options. So if anyone has reason to NOT get this one, I'm listening!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have the older fitbit Ultra. I have used it for 18 months and yes you can forget it but you wont. I use it 24hrs a day. If i upgraded I am not sure what i would go for, the Jawbone looks better than the flex. I think the flex looks feminine even in black. There are so many coming out right now that it is a good time to just watch i think and see where they go from here. I would love for Polar to come out with one that would sync with my HRM, now that would be worth it.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We are a Fitbit family (me, my 14-year old, my parents) all have the Fitbit One. I started with the Ultra and had it for over three years before upgrading to the One. I could not imagine a day without my Fitbit feedback.

My 17-year expressed interest in the Flex, but it was hard to locate (sold out everywhere and on backorder) and impatient as he was, he ended up getting the Jawbone Up. He liked it, but I always wished it was a Fitbit (as then I could see his steps as "Fitbit Friends" rather than having to ask him about it). He actually lost his Up after just a couple weeks. He does now have the Flex. I like it better, he says they are quite similar.

I have heard many people not quite happy with the Flex, switching to the One for accuracy and visibility (just look at it for your numbers). My 14-year old plays basketball and he can wear the One in games, where he would not be allowed to wear the Flex. Of course the One is easier to lose. I'm really surprised we haven't lost one yet!

I rarely take mine off - I just switch it from my bra to my nightshirt. Wear it night and day ...
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just got a Fitbit Zip so have done some research on all brands (Fitbit, Jawbone, Nike) and styles (wrist, clips).

Jawbone is out for me because you need to physically plug it in to sync - no wireless. For me, that's a big turn off. Also, I want to see numbers and jawbone (and Fitbit Flex) only shows your progress. You need to refer to your mobile/PC/Mac apps to see the actual numbers.

I have opted for Zip because I want to create a family of HRM/cals (Polar) + Daily activities tracking (Zip) + able to see real time data + NO NEED to track sleep (Flex and One).

So, depend on what you need.

Hope this helps