Oats For Supper?

Options
_EndGame_
_EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
Would you eat oats before bed? I usually eat them for breakfast, with fruit, but I skipped breakfast today - was in a rush!

The reason I ask is I usually eat them in the morning, given that oats (porridge) is a slow release, filling food. I was wondering though, would eating them before bed keep me awake?

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would and I have, eaten oats before bed.
    They don't keep me awake. :)
  • bonnielyntwenty
    Options
    go for it...if u play with your metabolism the better or so I have read...if you do the same old same old..your system expects if...just saying because I have read it in several books...
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've ate oats for dinner once. It wasn't bad persay, but I just prefer lunch or dinner. "Breakfast" foods aren't just eaten at breakfast for me lol. I've had omelettes for dinner. :P But I LOVE oats. I eat it with almond milk, banana slices, and cinnamon. Sometimes everyday of the week!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I've ate oats for dinner once. It wasn't bad persay, but I just prefer lunch or dinner. "Breakfast" foods aren't just eaten at breakfast for me lol. I've had omelettes for dinner. :P But I LOVE oats. I eat it with almond milk, banana slices, and cinnamon. Sometimes everyday of the week!

Almond milk, I'm going to try that! Had it once before, but I only used it in coffee, never tried it with oats! But yah, think I'll have some, throw some berries and a banana in there!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've always read that oatmeal raises your insulin and makes you feel sleepy. But I've also read that your metabolism slows at night and that's not true, so I may not be a reliable source. :/
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    My absolute favorite evening snack is 1/4 cup minute oats (uncooked), 1/4 cup greek yogurt, and 1 tablespoon fruit preserves (favorite is raspberry). Mix it all together and let it sit for a few minutes for the oatmeal to soften. It is filling, has protein and calcium, super easy, and tastes great. In fact, I may have some tonight.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. I've had oats for dinner before. I cook them with a little salt, then add some cheese to them hot so that it melts. I don't like mine sweet or with milk. If I had a slice or two of bacon I would crumble that up in there with the cheese, too. Yummmmmmm!!!
  • andresconejo
    andresconejo Posts: 264
    Options
    anytime, any day, oats are glory <3
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    my day is not complete until I have had my proats for supper.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yep. I mix them with my whey protein and peanut butter.

Delicious.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued by trying savory oats - I've seen recipes that use them like a risotto... maybe I'll try it this weekend!

I don't like to eat too close to bedtime as I don't sleep well on a full stomach, and sometimes get heartburn.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have my oats at lunch everyday, but when I was restricting I had them for dinner frequently. They're just so satisfying, all creamy and stomach-kind for those with IBS/IBD issues :)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Well, I guess that's my question answered!

I usually have apple and sultana Ready Break Oats, then throw different fruits in, I've never really tried having them with Greek yogurt and dried fruits, I'll deffo have to try that!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I tend to have two suppers, my actual supper followed by my "hit my macros" oats. Yum!