Howdy folks

Options
Just dropping into the forums to say Hi! I'm usually a "on my own" kind of weight loss guy, but I figure if the tool I'm using has a social aspect I should put the social aspect to work.

Here's a little about me: I'm newly married and just about to turn 30 on August 1. I've struggled with my weight on and off since being an obese teenager. Running has kept me from regaining most of the weight I lost in college, but last summer I regained 25 lbs because I was doing a play that left me no time for running. Problem was, I kept eating like I do when training (I burn anywhere from 5000-12000 calories a week from running). Despite the weight gain I've run 3 marathons this year and have plans for at least one more before years end.

Anyway, I'm about to embark on starting a new career as a Personal Trainer/Running Coach and I want to be back in a healthy range before I start taking on my own clients (I'm interning with a trainer currently). I'm happy to be a resource for others interested about running, and I'm excited to share my latest fitness journey with this community.

Geb

Replies

• rinafil
    rinafil Posts: 23
    Options
    I would love to start running, but I have asthma and It's much more difficult to do stuff like that. Advice?
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Rinafil,

Well, the woman who holds the female World Record for the Marathon, Paula Radcliff, has asthma, so it can be done. I don't have any first hand experience working with asthmatic runners, but checking some of my favorite resources (Runners World, Active.com among others) I've got a few suggestions:

1st (and most importantly) discuss it with your doctor, make sure you've got her/his okay to run. The doctor may suggest you use your rescue inhaler right before the run as a preventative measure or that you take your inhaler with you. Come up with a "battle plan" in case you have an attack during a run.

If it's (your) allergy season, take an antihistamine before getting out the door (again check with your doctor) for your run.

Always let someone know you're going out for a run, or run with others.

Go slow, that's a problem I see in almost all beginning runners, they go too fast too soon and wind up short of breath, this is even more risky for someone with asthma.

Perhaps get yourself a RoadID (RoadID.com) or as a cheaper option a dog tag you keep on you, in case something happens

Finally, I'd suggest finding a C25K class in your area to get yourself started, that way you've got a group with you, the conversation will slow you down, and the coach will be there if you need aid.

Geb

P.S. There's a runner with asthma who blogs at: http://www.lifesawheeze.com, she has some first hand experience and a "Running with Asthma 101" post
  • rinafil
    rinafil Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I will try those! I appreciate the help!