Comparison Photos After One And Half Months Of Swimming Laps

Options
Some of you saw this comparison photo of me after just a month and 10 days of swimming laps in my recent blog.

ComparingJune13toJuly23_zpsad12f132.jpg

Honestly, I still have trouble seeing much change in these 2 photos above. So, I had my hubbie to take a couple of other shots to compare to 'the flip side' of my body.

Here is the back view of my body...

ComparingJune13toJuly26Back_zpsb5c8b09f.jpg?t=1374876467

...and here is the side view of my body.

ComparingJune13toJuly26SideView2_zpsb0d8d3d7.jpg?t=1374883808

In these photos, I truly see why my swim pants are fitting better. I thought that I was losing weight in my abdomen and legs; but in these shots, I can really see the changes in my stomach, legs and arms more clearly.

There is no doubt in my mind, SWIMMING ROCKS! I didn't change my calorie goal at all during this time, but I went from no swimming to anywhere from 90 to 180 minutes of laps every day. That is the reason for the remarkable changes that I am feeling in my body. Plus...I got a decent tan. :D

After less than months, the remarkable changes in my body far exceed the actual weight loss from June 16 to July 26, which was only 9.8 pounds. That almost 10 pounds does not begin to reflect the physical changes in my body.

Footnote: Lots of people like to look at the before and after photos of folks who have lost a whole bunch of weight and finally attained a more normal size. I am far from what any medical professional or trainer would call a 'normal weight'. My pictures are never going to show some slim cutie in a bikini; but there are so many of us on MFP that are severely overweight, no longer young and may never have a bikini body.

I think that it is important to look at our bodies in a REALISTIC WAY. I just want to see improvements in my very old and abused body. I am not looking to turn back the clock and undo all the stretch marks and miraculously have the body of a young woman. I just want to see a healthier, thinner, old lady. That will be good enough for me.

Replies

• QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I would so love to find a place to swim these day. You truly are an inspiration to keep going.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Very noticeable change! Good work!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Rose, you are really an inspiration! With all of the physical issues you have going on with your mobility, you are daily increasing your activity level and kicking butt in the pool. Kudos to you and to your Coach, Ed.

I can see much progress. Your skin is smoother, your body is changing for the better. Plus, your eating is outstanding.

Soon you will be getting that surgery and then, after your recovery, you will be the one that everyone is asking for tips on how to get in shape and lose weight, if that hasn't happened already.

I am so excited for you!!!

Jan
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I am now on the preop list for my first knee replacement surgery. All my blood work, x-rays, ekg and consult with the ortho educator are done. I even got clearance from my dentist who had to pull a molar to sign off on my dental clearance form. I have a meeting with an Internal Medicine doctor on Monday; and then, a date will be set for sometime in the next 6 months.

I could be moved up, if someone's surgery is cancelled or postponed. I cannot believe how easy it would be to get postponed for that surgery. The rules are so strict. You cannot shave your legs, cut your toe nails or do anything that might give you a cut, scrap or even a small nick in the skin. A bug bite will mean postponement of surgery. Infection is the big issue, and all patients are put on a blood thinner like Coumadin (Warfarin) for 6 to 8 weeks to reduce the risk of blood clots. Any infection would be a nightmare. That is why Kaiser is so strict and careful in their evaluation process.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can see ALL the changes! Your legs are changing really fast. I see some nice skirts in your future!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    wow this really gives me hope!! I noticed that swimming burns a ton of cals, but I was worried it may be figuring too high. now that I see your progress, it might be more accurate than what I thought!! :-)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am amazed that you could go from 0 to 2 hours of daily swimming without injury! You are one lucky lady!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am amazed that you could go from 0 to 2 hours of daily swimming without injury! You are one lucky lady!

Oh, no. I put the WRONG NUMBERS for the minutes that I am swimming. 180 minutes!!! That's 3 hours!!! No Way! :noway:

Sorry for my error in the original post. I am not up to 2 hours yet. I only swim laps for ONE HOUR 5 days per week. Then, I swim laps for 90 MINUTES on Tuesday and Saturday. I may start doing a 3rd day of 90 minutes in a few weeks, but my hubbie (Coach Ed) does not want me (Mama) to overdo it. He keeps reminding me that I am 68 year old.

As for...injury...What's to injure? I am swimming not walking in the pool. I cannot walk in the pool, because that would put weight back on my knees; but swimming puts no weight on my knees and is almost effortless to me.
  • barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    I think you are absolutely beautiful!! I can totally see the difference, especially in your thighs! Keep rockin' those laps!!! You are such an inspiration to so many of us!! :flowerforyou:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Awesome change! You are looking fit and strong! Keep going!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!!! :drinker: :laugh: :happy: :smile: WELL DONE!!
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and you are an inspiration. Keep it up my lady!!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!
  • aaronmccall
    Options
    Awesome change, Rose! There are many important changes to our bodies that a scale cannot reflect.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are amazing, inspiring and empowering! Thanks for sharing. I needed it!
  • Exodus109
    Exodus109 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say how remarkable you look!!! I think the changes are amazing, but verify thoughts I had yesterday. I was in a water aerobics class bouncing around while my "excess" bounced around seconds after me LOL and I thought, you know, I bet this is better than a massage for loosening up those cellulite areas that make us look like cream cheese!! AND that makes it easier for our body to use up those "storage sites"...... Well, looking at you is proof. Thanks for the pictures and bless you on your upcoming surgery :)
  • Momily56
    Momily56 Posts: 9
    Options
    The change is remarkable. And your tan really is fabulous. I had arthritis in my hips and have had both replaced. The year after I had the second hip replaced I concentrated on water exercise and lost over 60 pounds. I was thrilled with my progress and took up jogging as well. My knees hated that idea and now I am struggling with arthritic knees and awaiting surgery. Water exercise is really the best for us old arthritic women. Keep up the good work!
  • jojogirlonthegogo
    Options
    Obvious tone and weight loss all over but especially in the mid-section! Great job - keep it up. Your healing time and recovery will be quick with all this healthy work you are doing.
  • MelissaBoydston82
    Options
    You are glowing in your after photos! :) I can definitely see big differences in your arms, legs and waist!! WAY TO GO!!