How much cardio do I do?

Options
Hiya!
I've been working out on and off for about 5 years. Recently I put on weight due to medication I was on and now I need to get serious about the gym. I weight just over 9 stone (130 lbs) but as I'm only 5ft it doesn't sit well on me! (think Snooki pre weight loss!) but that does mean my goal weight is only about 20lbs away. My gym instructor drew up a fitness plan for me. The resistance is working fantastically. I work the whole of my body 3-4 times a week. After two weeks I can feel and see my muscles (especially in my legs) are gaining quickly. I've cut my diet down to low cal high protein. But the only issue I am having is how much cardio to do? I was doing over an hour on the cross trainer for 4 times a week, but I read somewhere this will send my body into starvation mode. Is this true? Can anyone tell me the best way to add cardio to my routine to maximise weightloss?

thanks!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No you won't go into starvation mode, 4 hr a week is fine if you eat to support your workouts.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Yea it's fine for some but more cardio doesn't mean faster/better results. Hard to really say not knowing what is "low cal" for you and what your other workouts consist of.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    4 hours a week is fine. You have only been on the program for 2 weeks, why are you messing with it? If you are getting stronger and dropping weight, you are on the right track.
  • littlecatie
    Options
    my intake is 1000-1400cals
  • littlecatie
    Options
    4 hours a week is fine. You have only been on the program for 2 weeks, why are you messing with it? If you are getting stronger and dropping weight, you are on the right track.

I'm finding that I'm gaining muscle but not dropping any weight, any ideas how long until I see results on my current program? My instructor didn't give me too much guidance on cardio. I've always done cardio because it helps my asthma, so she gave me a fantastic workout to gain lean muscle and basically said 'do what you do on the cross trainer'
  • millerch88
    millerch88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that I'm gaining muscle but not dropping any weight

Muscle is more dense than fat, so you may not see a drop in your overall weight. If you replace the same volume of fat with muscle, you'll actually weigh more on the scale. But the muscle will give you that toned look and boost your metabolism. at least that's my understanding of it.
  • littlecatie
    Options
    that does make sense, thankyou
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are gaini g muscle? If its only been two weeks you probably haven't gained much muscle in that time.
  • littlecatie
    Options
    How do you know you are gaini g muscle? If its only been two weeks you probably haven't gained much muscle in that time.
    because I can see/feel the difference. Although no actual definition as of yet, I was all wobble before and I can feel beneath my fat that there is muscle which was not there. Also, I've been able to increase the weights I lift and my plank time has increased when previously I physically could not handle any more
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I'm finding that I'm gaining muscle but not dropping any weight, any ideas how long until I see results on my current program? My instructor didn't give me too much guidance on cardio. I've always done cardio because it helps my asthma, so she gave me a fantastic workout to gain lean muscle and basically said 'do what you do on the cross trainer'

It is scientifically impossible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit...also, even if you were putting muscle on, it would take a lot longer than two weeks. A male with half way decent genetics, a lot of testosterone and HGH, and really killing it in the weight room might put on 6 Lbs of actual muscle in a whole year. Sorry...that's not what's going on.

More likely...you've just started this...your being obsessive and doing more and more because you're not being patient and giving it time...thus stressing and possibly overtraining...thus your muscles retain more water for repair....thus you don't see anything move on the scale.

Just chill...it's only been a couple weeks...this **** doesn't happen over night. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    because I can see/feel the difference. Although no actual definition as of yet, I was all wobble before and I can feel beneath my fat that there is muscle which was not there. Also, I've been able to increase the weights I lift and my plank time has increased when previously I physically could not handle any more

What you see is 1) "pump" from water retention in the muscle for healing; and 2) maybe some fat loss which reveals the muscle underneath. This is science and you are not a special snowflake. You can't put on muscle in a deficit of calories. Muscle takes a **** load of energy (calories) just to maintain, let alone build new muscle. You cannot be anabolic and catabolic (dieting) at the same time.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    As above, you're not gaining muscle on a calorie deficit. You're probably getting STRONGER, which is great!
    Are you eating a TOTAL of 1000-1400 or NETTING 1000-1400? Because that doesn't sound like very much food.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I thought there was the phenomena known as "newb gains"? Sorry just fanning the flames a bit!!
  • littlecatie
    Options
    ah right, I had no idea of the water retention thing. i never claimed to be special...I'm just incredibly new to this and had no idea. I'm totalling 1000-1400 cals, not netting. Like I said I'm quite short and I've never eaten more than 1800cals a day on average. (except perhaps xmas of course). I've never been a big eater and all I want to do is look the way I did before I gained weight due to medication. I'm not fussed about muscle growth etc I just want to be able to fit in my nice clothes again, which is why I'm here because I dont know what the best thing to do is
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The weight / resistance training is probably challenging and toning the existing muscle structure. More importantly, weight/resistance training can be used to develop muscle through cardio (e.g., less resistance / more reps).

As for cardio and starvation mode, unless your underlying calorie intake is, by itself, below the "traditional" inactive starvation intake, it is probably not a concern. You'll probably run into an energy conversion "wall" (or worse) if you did more cardio than you were physically capable of doing.

In my journey back to a healthy weight, I kept consistent with a calorie deficit but also made sure that I had enough fuel to support my cardio activities. Mine was a 7/day week workout regimen for a total of about 90 minutes over the course of a day. I did mine in reverse in that I started with cardio and did strength/ resistance training after I had dropped a substantial portion of the weight (e.g., my cardio health could support some longer term strength exercise).