elliptical

Options
I started on the elliptical a little over a month ago and I could go about 10 minutes until I had to stop. I am now up to 35 minutes. I was wondering if I should do 35 minutes in the morning and then go again in the evening... I have also started strength training - plus crunches and push ups. I exercise 6 days a week. Elliptical all 6 days and should I do the others all 6 days too?

Replies

• sbransley1
    sbransley1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My trainers always told me that cardio can be done everyday but your strength exercises should be every other day. It gives your muscles a day to repair themselves.
  • gin672
    gin672 Posts: 10
    Options
    ok. thanks
  • DanielSinagraq
    DanielSinagraq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    The when doing cardio, try to vary the machines for best results, because your body gets adapted to certain exercises over long periods of time, so your body finds it easier to do them, therfore you burn less calories. The thing with the elliptical machine is that it can put some stress on your knee joints and that it could be an irregular movement. The stationery bike is a great cardio machine as it is some kind of natural movement.

I personally like to do cardio every day in the morning on an empty stomach.

If you are doing strength training which requires a lot of effort try to add more recovery days, so that your muscles can be healed again and rebuilt.

My training split is like this:
    Day 1(Monday)- Chest and Triceps
    Day 2(Tuesday)- Legs, Calves and Abs
    Day 3(Wednesday)-Off (Rest)
    Day 4(Thursday)-Back, Shoulders and Biceps
    Day 5(Friday)- I start again with Chest and Triceps
    Day 6 (Saturday)- I do Legs,Calves and Abs again
    Day 7 (Sunday)- Off (Rest)

I hope this helps feel free to ask me any questions!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I mix up my cardio, to avoid repetitive motion injuries.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I started on the elliptical a little over a month ago and I could go about 10 minutes until I had to stop. I am now up to 35 minutes. I was wondering if I should do 35 minutes in the morning and then go again in the evening... I have also started strength training - plus crunches and push ups. I exercise 6 days a week. Elliptical all 6 days and should I do the others all 6 days too?

Congrats on the progress you've made so far! I used to do all cardio, but now I lift 3 days per week (I'm doing All Pro) and do cardio 3 days per week. I just started a couple of weeks ago, but this is allowing me to eat a lot more than I had been and I'm losing better than I was before. I would try to mix up your cardio a little bit though, instead of just using the elliptical all the time.
  • gin672
    Options
    I need some direction for strength training. I work out at home. I have a 5 lb kettlebell. I do push ups, squats, crunches - but really have no clue. I am losing weight and inches... any help would be great. I am joining a gym to do circuit with the machines in a couple weeks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I need some direction for strength training. I work out at home. I have a 5 lb kettlebell. I do push ups, squats, crunches - but really have no clue. I am losing weight and inches... any help would be great. I am joining a gym to do circuit with the machines in a couple weeks.

Get one or both of these books. New Rules of Lifting or Starting Strength. They will help you understand both strength training and the role of cardio in weight loss
  • gin672
    Options
    thanks. I will look into those.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I miss my elliptical. Once I get it moved down to my place, I plan on doing it 30 min. a day, and then some Insanity or T25!