Singles over 50

Options
Hi All,
Single mom, 59 years old, living alone (with my dog - my best buddy).

I grew up slim and never had to worry about weight until after my second child was born. Didn't really lose that weight, then my husband passed away. After his death I lost a ton of weight, but it all came back with a new stressful job, then teenagers, menopause, and before I knew it I was 200 pounds.

Now my daughters are grown and (relatively) happy and I have a new job about to start in a few weeks. Will finally be making enough money to take a vacation by myself - for the first time ever. I booked tickets and a hotel room in February. Would like to lose 60 pounds between now and then, so I can wear a swimsuit in public.

Some of my trouble spots: eating alone (usually in front of computer), eating in the car (a bad one -- I've been commuting 75 mins each way -- that will end next month), and binging on the weekends (bakery products are like heroin to me).

I joined a gym, got my bike fixed, and joined some "meetup" groups to get out and hike around the area. I really want to turn my life around and go into my 60s with a new healthy profile.

Would love to meet and exchange motivation with any of you in similar circumstances.

Thanks,
Suzalyn

Replies

• martineymoeykens
    Options
    Hi Suzalyn,
    Nice to meet someone with similar circumstances and goals for the last lap of life.
    I am 59 for another few days, and have decided that I need to be healthy as slim as I was only 11 years ago. I found the app and started to eat sensibly and I haven't so far not craved for biscuits or bread with homemade jam! That is a real improvement.
    I am walking every day on the way to work, have bought dumbbells and started to tone my arms.
    I hope to buy a new bicycle and exercise around the Wicklow hills.
    I am looking forward to meet friends here.
    Martine
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    Hi Suzalyn,

I am single and over 50. I'm so over the 50's that I'm in the 60's.:laugh:

I too grew up thin, very thin! With the years came the weight. It sneaked up on me because I was used to eating anything whenever I wanted to and it never affected my weight. In 2008 I lost 30 pounds and was able to maintain. In the last year I've put some back on. It's really been hard to lose this time, but I set a weekly goal of 1 pound. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not, but I keep trying.

You may add me if you like, I need the support too.

Lois