Flax and Chia Seeds- what do you eat them with?

Options
msliu7911
msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
And how do you prepare them?

I've heard they're good for you... but just not sure if they "really" work. Any ideas and input will be great!

Replies

• ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I put flaxseed in everything; oatmeal, cookies, muffins, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc.

I drink Chia seeds with water or sprinkle on salad.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I put flaxseed in everything; oatmeal, cookies, muffins, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc.

I drink Chia seeds with water or sprinkle on salad.

Chia seeds. . .in water? Elaborate. :huh:
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Haven't ventured into chia seeds - but flax I'm used to.

My recent venture with flax was mixing it into my daily (some days anyway) tablespoon of PB - made a kind of PB ball - then I rolled it in unsweetened cocoa and cayenne - and YUM.

I used to just make a breakfast cereal with flax in it - but I don't recall all the ingredients right now - maybe ground almonds, flax and something?

Sprinkled it over a cut up baked sweet potato that was cold, tossed it around and fried it using it like a coating. That was pretty good.

Sprinkle it into anything - yogurt, cereal, over fruit, etc.
  • irishcream4u2
    irishcream4u2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Chia Seeds. I add them to green juices or blended fruit slushies, as well as prune juice which I let sit overnight to make a thick pudding consistency. I use about 1 TBSP/8-10 of juice. For prune pudding, I used 2 TBSP/4 ounces of juice. I also sprinkle Chia on cereal, soups, oatmeal, salads, chili, etc. They add a nice crunch.

Ground Flax Seeds I sprinkle on cereals, mix in oatmeal with some fruit, add to cake mixes/brownies (seldom ever make). You can also add flax to chili, soup, meatloaf, pasta sauce, etc.

Enjoy!! :flowerforyou:
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I grind chia and flax seeds in my coffee grinder, or sometimes leave them whole, then soak a teaspoon or two in hot water. When the mixture cools I add it to my morning smoothie with blueberries, pineapple, raspberries, and vanilla protein powder. I also add them whole and soaked to oatmeal. the hot water releases the oils which contain omega fatty acids, which is the good stuff. the seed shells are fiber.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    green smoothies
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I add both to my after-workout protein shake.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try chia seeds but I used flaxseed often.

I put flaxseed in pasta sauces, shakes, baking, oatmeal, seitan, etc. When you use flaxseed ensure you grind it up since whole flaxseed are not really digested by the body. I also use a mixture of whole flaxseed, ground flaxseed and various pureed veggies and spices to make crackers.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use both ground chia and flax seeds in my morning smoothies. ~
  • exponential0potential
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my morning oatmeal while it is cooking. I let it cook half way, then mix in the chia seeds and a bit more water. When the chia expands, it increases the size, but not the calories, so it fills you up more.
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I mix chia seeds with almond milk, agave syrup and vanilla extract and put it in the fridge overnight. It's like pudding
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my morning oatmeal while it is cooking. I let it cook half way, then mix in the chia seeds and a bit more water. When the chia expands, it increases the size, but not the calories, so it fills you up more.

Why would it not increase the calories? Isn't there around 130 calories in 1 ounce of chia seeds?
  • justified111
    justified111 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to my cottage cheese
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in my yogurt, right before I eat it. They thicken whatever you put them in as they swell up when introduced to liquid. They really don't have flavor, so they're a great way to increase fiber. Also put them on peanut butter sandwiches, salads, and really, anything when I want more fiber. Love them.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    And how do you prepare them?

I've heard they're good for you... but just not sure if they "really" work. Any ideas and input will be great!

What do you mean by "not sure if they really work"??? Lol.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    So I am grain free, dairy free, and low carb.
    I use both Chia and flax in green smoothies, but my favorite thing to do with them is Paleo Porridge: 2T flax, 1 T chia, cinnamon to taste, and 1/2 cup of warm almond milk. I grind the seeds in my Nutribullet with the cinnamon. Then I add the almond milk and let it sit for a few minutes until it is the consistency of cream of wheat.

Carbs are offset by the fiber, and they are both excellent sources of Omega 3 fat, which is good for you :)

Breakfast is now calling to me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    You have to eat them ground.

I add them to my smoothies.
    I put them on top of yogurt, cereal, ice cream, fruit, etc.
    You can add them to peanut butter.

I like the bit of crunch they give you.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. . .in water? Elaborate. :huh:
    Google: Chia Fresca

I don't care for it myself, but some people enjoy their Chia Fresca.