I Went Clothes Shopping Today...

Options
I went clothes shopping today and I could comfortably wear a size 6 pants and extra small top... I still feel like an elephant though. Can anyone offer support or advice on what I should do? All my friends say I look great but idk, I just can't believe it. I feel like the ground should shake when I walk lol :/

Replies

• teenXidle
    teenXidle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    you have body dysmorphic disorder..
    what you see in the mirror is distorted from reality.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    How do I see what others see? I want to feel thin :/
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at your ticker lately?? You lost 153 lbs .... I think I agree with everyone who says you look great!
    Personal experience, I feel like an elephant the most when it's my TOM or I'm bloated for some other reason. Drink a ton of water and see if that helps. I promise you though, even w/o seeing any pictures, you don't look like an elephant. Your dog's cute, too.
  • clamb176
    clamb176 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Sometimes we still have that bigger version of us stuck in our heads and it's hard to replace with the new version. Weight loss is not just a huge change for your body but for your inner self as well. Seeing a therapist/medical professional can really help address those issues.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 153 lbs! An amazing accomplishment. It takes a while for your mind to catch up with your body...it even works in reverse - look how many people didn't realize how big they'd gotten were until they saw a candid photo and were horrified. Lots of people look in the mirror every day and just don't see what others see. So maybe take some photos of yourself, and practice affirmations to train your brain to accept the reality of your new body? Hopefully some people who have lost 100+ lbs will share their experiences, but I think what you're feeling is very common.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Have you looked at your ticker lately?? You lost 153 lbs .... I think I agree with everyone who says you look great!
    Personal experience, I feel like an elephant the most when it's my TOM or I'm bloated for some other reason. Drink a ton of water and see if that helps. I promise you though, even w/o seeing any pictures, you don't look like an elephant. Your dog's cute, too.

Thanks! My dog's actually been one of my biggest motivators :) I'll try drinking more water and see if that helps :)
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Congrats on losing 153 lbs! An amazing accomplishment. It takes a while for your mind to catch up with your body...it even works in reverse - look how many people didn't realize how big they'd gotten were until they saw a candid photo and were horrified. Lots of people look in the mirror every day and just don't see what others see. So maybe take some photos of yourself, and practice affirmations to train your brain to accept the reality of your new body? Hopefully some people who have lost 100+ lbs will share their experiences, but I think what you're feeling is very common.

Thank you! I never thought of the reverse side.. That makes sense. I'll try taking more pics and see if that helps.... Today for the 1st time I took a full body pic and just couldn't believe it was me! I didn't photoshop tho so it must've been lol

I know how you feel. Sometimes we still have that bigger version of us stuck in our heads and it's hard to replace with the new version. Weight loss is not just a huge change for your body but for your inner self as well. Seeing a therapist/medical professional can really help address those issues.

Thanks.. I see a therapist now.. I'll only brought up the issue end of last session so I'll bring it up again and see what she says :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have/had some of the same issue, and you've lost a lot more than me (congrats by the way!) It will take some time for your brain to catch up. In the meantime, I agree with taking lots of photos, and looking at old ones. Compare your new clothes with old ones if you have any left. Keep trying on new things. And definitely talk to your therapist about it. It will likely improve with time as you get used to your new self though.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I have/had some of the same issue, and you've lost a lot more than me (congrats by the way!) It will take some time for your brain to catch up. In the meantime, I agree with taking lots of photos, and looking at old ones. Compare your new clothes with old ones if you have any left. Keep trying on new things. And definitely talk to your therapist about it. It will likely improve with time as you get used to your new self though.

Thanks!! I still have some old clothes I stored away so I'll get them out and look at them in comparison. I'm not sure if I have old pics(use to avoid the camera at all costs!).. I'll try the other things too and see if they help.

Thank you everyone for the supportive comments, I feel encouraged and more relieved :) I'll try all the suggestions and see if it helps!