Horsey people - help!

Options
I need help from fellow horsey people! How on earth do you all fit in gym time?! I have a 4yo sports horse that i am currently backing, hence riding every day. Amongst having a full time job, going to yard, working him, mucking out not only am i exhausted but it is also about 9:30 pm! How do you all do it!

Replies

• GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Options
    I am not a horsey person, but I was under the impression that working with horses was an intense workout in itself, hence all the ripped cowboys that eat whatever they want.
  • Briony14
    Briony14 Posts: 52
    Options
    I guess, I don't really have any weight to lose now, just a matter of toning up. Maybe it's because I have been doing it for so many years but I just don't seem to improve! If I didn't ride I would prob be the size of a house by now!
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That IS la full time job! its also valid exercise. Sport riding, mucking, and other chores all burn calls. Definitely count your horse related activity as exercise. Wear aHRM if you need to. Do your gym time when you can fi it in.

Just track your cals accurately an it will all be fine. Enjoy your beast!
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Options
    If you feel like you can do it, wearing weighted clothing (Weight vest, ankle weights, wrist weights, etc.) while performing your passion could be productive in that regard if you feel like you don't have time to hit the gym.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't own a horse but I did occasionally help my trainer (full time teacher, part-time college student, 50+ y/old mom of two) with horse chores. She teaches lessons after school three to four days a week.

I would guess a schedule could be:

5:30 - 7:00 - Wake, breakfast for you and horse (pre-make breakfast when you prepare dinner, pack in tupperware when you head to barn)
    7:00 - 7:45 - Workout
    7:45 - 8:30 - Shower and leave
    5:30 - 6:30 - Come home, change to ride, cook and pack dinner (and other meals)
    6:30 - 9:30 - Riding, care and maintenance checks
    9:30 - 10:30 - Shower, pack breakfast and lunch, go to bed

I'm just estimating you need 7 hours of sleep, and your work hours. I'm assuming working from home is not an option for you, nor is paying someone to feed and muck your horse, either.

If you're not embarrassed too much, I've made great exercise out of running and jumping over fences at the barn. I'd run a few laps around the ring (sand adds resistance) and then do a jumping or barrel run as if I were on a horse.

My trainer sleeps from 1:00AM - about 6:30AM... I know not everyone can handle that.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Also, since riding is pretty repetitive, you're not going to continue to tone forever... your body will adapt soon enough.

I forgot to mention that many people with your schedule cook all their meals on one day during the weekend and then pack it in tupperware.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was a groom for alot of years. And I rode alot too and colt started. I found I did alot of lifting and upper body work. But I was lacking most in cardio. Unless I was running back to the barn to grab something my rider forgot lol So going for a good 30 min walk in the AM will do a world of good. If you need any horsey tips, feel free to message me. I miss the biz!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I was in the best shape of my life back when I was working full time as a groom in a dressage barn. I worked 6am-2pm 6 days a week, plus 5pm and 10pm feeding and stall pick 2-3 nights). I generally cleaned 3-4 stalls per day, plus 2-3 "pick outs" throughout the day, tacked up and bathed 3 horses, swept aisles, and moved bagged shavings from the trailer to the barn. I also hand walked one horse for an hour twice a day.

If you feel like the workout you're getting at the barn isn't enough, look for ways to get a little more in while you're there. Fill and carry water buckets, stack hay and hand walk your horse for cool down rather than staying in the saddle.
  • Briony14
    Briony14 Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi guys, thank you! Some really helpful tips here :) I don't really have any weight to lose, just a case of finding the time to do some toning exercises! I leave the house for work at 7:30 am and don't get back til 6:30 pm, quick turnaround before heading up to the yard, get back at 9:30, then start cooking dinner! By the time that's all done around 10:30 pm I'm pretty much ready to collapse, but there's still laundry and housework to do!