How to do Urban Ropes workout? Bosu basketball for abs?

Options
At one of the branches of my gym, they have some unusual equipment which I want to try for variety. One of the things they have is a padded ab bench with a bosu ball basketball and/or rebound set up. Looks great for the core. That one, I can figure out... though I would appreciate any tips on how best to use it, techniques, position, etc.

The other piece of equipment is a set of two giant (like 4" thick or thicker?) heavy ropes around a pole. Somehow, you're supposed to be able to work out with them, rippling them or something, to work out your back, arms, and core. Has anyone used them? What is a good routine? What is the proper position? Suggestions or Advice?

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    BTW, I found this video which at least shows you what I'm talking about. But, it only show rippling up and down with two arms and one arm. Is there no other routine to be done with it? Is his position good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91cSiPlzxRQ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    They are called battle ropes and are great for muscular endurance training. YouTube has lots of info on them. I use them in my K box classes along with other weight lifting. TRX and plyometrics

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I can't watch the video right now, but I love those ropes. I use them every week. Some of the moves I do are the vertical wave with squats, horizontal wave with squats, slams (hold the ropes together and slam them both down as hard as you can), circles, uppercuts, and sweeps (hold the ropes together and sweep them back and forth, kind of like a hammock swinging). I hope that makes sense, lol. They are really versatile and will give you a great workout.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the video right now, but I love those ropes. I use them every week. Some of the moves I do are the vertical wave with squats, horizontal wave with squats, slams (hold the ropes together and slam them both down as hard as you can), circles, uppercuts, and sweeps (hold the ropes together and sweep them back and forth, kind of like a hammock swinging). I hope that makes sense, lol. They are really versatile and will give you a great workout.

Great suggestions. I think I can picture all of them, but maybe the uppercuts. Do you basically hold the rope and then swing it as if doing an uppercut punch twisting torso?
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    At one of the branches of my gym, they have some unusual equipment which I want to try for variety. One of the things they have is a padded ab bench with a bosu ball basketball and/or rebound set up. Looks great for the core. That one, I can figure out... though I would appreciate any tips on how best to use it, techniques, position, etc.

The other piece of equipment is a set of two giant (like 4" thick or thicker?) heavy ropes around a pole. Somehow, you're supposed to be able to work out with them, rippling them or something, to work out your back, arms, and core. Has anyone used them? What is a good routine? What is the proper position? Suggestions or Advice?

I suggest asking someone (who works) at your gym to show you how to properly use this equipment. Its a great scenario. For a few minutes, you get someone (who hopefully has been trained) showing you how it should be done, looking at you to see that you are doing it correctly as you are shown, and someone handy to ask questions that come up as you try to figure it out.