Banana Bread

Options
Does anybody have any ideas for a "healthy" banana bread?

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I just follow a regular recipe but substitute whole wheat flour in place of white and splenda instead of sugar. Sometimes I use plantains instead of bananas but bananas are pretty healthy.
  • kix123
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about finding a healthy banana bread recipe when I saw this topic!

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/whole-grains/healthified-banana-nut-bread.aspx
    44% less fat • 50% more fiber • 26% fewer calories than the original recipe—see the comparison. By peeling away the less healthy ingredients and making smart substitutions (such as egg whites for a whole egg), we know you’ll go bananas for this healthified bread! From eatbetteramerica.
    Prep Time:20 min, Start to Finish:2 hr 25 min, makes:1 loaf (16 slices)

1 1/2 cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 egg whites
    1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 large)
    1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted*
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of 8x4-inch or 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening, or spray with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
    2. In large bowl, beat sugar, oil, egg whites, bananas, milk and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts. Spoon into pan.
    3. Bake 8-inch loaf 55 to 62 minutes, 9-inch loaf 45 to 52 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour, before slicing.
    1 Slice: Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 150mg; Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 11g); Protein 2g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 4% Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
  • bathori
    Options
    I use 50% quinoa flour wiht 50% ground almonds instead of regular flour, agave nectar instead of sugar and coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. I also cut the sugar by half.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    bump....great ideas and receipes!
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump:bigsmile:
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • akaDumbo
    Options
    bump for later
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Funny, my co-worker and I were just talking about banana bread too. I made some a few days ago and used my regular recipe but substituted apple sauce for the shortening. You could use less whole eggs and substitute whites also to cut down on the fat and I'm sure you could use some kind of sugar substitute but I haven't found one that I can stand especially to cook with so I don't.
  • Capucine7
    Options
    bump
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another variation is to substitute the nuts for dried cranberries, add 1/4 cup orange juice, 1tsp grated orange zest and 1/4 more flour (to compensate for the additional liquid). Makes it fruitier and sweeter, very nice.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You can use apple sauce, pumkin, black beans or yogurt to sub out the oil.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • Wtbyerdoc
    Options
    eating well mag has a great website as does oxygen magazine with recipes. Be careful though I love banana breads/zucchini breads... and as healthy as i've made them with flax and whole wheat... they are still very high in calories per slice!! 200 for one slice and if you are like me it is hard to stick with one slice and it is not filling so need to add protein to your serving.
  • dzdame
    Options
    It is SO hard to just have one piece! Sometimes I will freeze individual slices, after baking, so less apt to eat all in one day! Then, I can have a slice with a cup of tea on the weekends, when I have a "cheat" or two...Or I make sure my family and friends eat it all up in one day...baked goods are my weakness...especially at this time of year, when the whole "nesting thing" happens to me...:happy:
  • bathori
    Options
    Chestnut flour is remarkably low in fat and works amazingly well in baking treats, crepes and waffles and stuff like that.