Eating food you're allergic to

Options
kamiyu910
kamiyu910 Posts: 16 Member
I'm allergic to fruits, nuts, vegetables and some grains. Sometimes I'll crave something I'm allergic to so bad I end up eating it, or I'll be absentmindedly feeding my toddler and take a bite of what he's eating, or I'll just forget I'm allergic to it (such as a new allergy to cheerios which is actually really bad). The other day I craved a salad so bad it was worth the suffering to eat it.
Does anyone else here love food they can't eat but sometimes eat it anyway despite it?
(I don't eat anything that has been known to give me a severe reaction, just minor ones...)

Replies

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've developed an allergy to almonds in the last year or two. My mouth feels funny and it makes me cough. The allergist said that the next reaction could be mild or life-threatening. He also recommended I stay away from all tree nuts.

I freakin' LOVE almonds. I have been tempted on many occasions to eat them...but I'm too afraid.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to lots of different foods such as Avocado and cucumber. I will still eat sushi that has both of those in it but I pay for it once my throat starts itching.

I see an allergist and he told me that I should absolutely stay away from those foods, even though my reaction is mild, I could go into anaphylaxis and shouldnt take any chances.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested? My daughter has OAS (oral allergy syndrome) to birch pollen. In order to lessen her reaction to food she is taking allergy shots. She can also eat most of the vegetables and fruits that she is allergic to if they are cooked. The nuts and grains however don't seem to work the same way.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware, I am not allergic to any foods, but I am allergic to one specific medicine, I am completely forbidden to take this medicine now as the two times I have taken it in the past, the first time brought the allergy to mine and my GP's attention and the second time, I nearly lost my legs (I took it because I thought I may have grown out of the allergy lol), so a third time would be completely out of the question.

Therefore, if I were allergic to a food, I would not go near it, ever, it is just not worth the risk as to what could happen.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have food intolerances that cause me to be ill if I eat certain items. I save those for special occassions or when I don't care if I'm curled in a ball. Sometimes it is worth it and others not so much.
  • kamiyu910
    Options
    Have you been tested? My daughter has OAS (oral allergy syndrome) to birch pollen. In order to lessen her reaction to food she is taking allergy shots. She can also eat most of the vegetables and fruits that she is allergic to if they are cooked. The nuts and grains however don't seem to work the same way.

Yeah, I was tested and found out I'm allergic to every plant except black walnut. Nature hates me! :/ I got allergy shots for a few years, but they had to stop because every time they upped the dose I got sick. They eventually told me to stop coming.
    I try to stay away from my food allergies, but it's hard. I keep emergency supplies around me just in case. Sometimes people don't believe me and thus ignore my allergies. One guy sprayed apple juice on some BBQ ribs before serving them and I got a reaction from that.
  • Lizzy622
    Options
    Apple juice is one of my daughter's worst foods. Have you tried to see if you can cook some of the foods? My daughter reacts to raw carrots or juice but has no problem with cooked.
  • kamiyu910
    Options
    Apple juice is one of my daughter's worst foods. Have you tried to see if you can cook some of the foods? My daughter reacts to raw carrots or juice but has no problem with cooked.

Some things I can eat cooked, but anything apple is very bad. Same with bananas, corn, carrots and various other things. If it's overly processed from a can, like spaghetti sauce, I can eat that. Or Skippy peanut butter rather than raw organic peanut butter.
    I'm not sure what's in them (like if it's the food coloring or not), but I can't have colored sodas either. I know red food coloring gives me a headache, but something like coke makes me sick. Same with artificial sweeteners.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I have the same issue with carrots! I cannot eat them raw but when they are cooked they dont bother me at all.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am intolerant to wheat, dairy, eggs, yeast, alcohol and caffeine. Yes, you often find that you are addicted to the foods that you are intolerant to. You crave them - it's a bit like any addiction, like nicotine or drugs.

However, if you manage to clear them out of your system and not eat them (takes about 6 weeks) then after that the craving subsides.

I have done without the above foods for almost a decade now. I have occasionally challenged them to see if I still have the same reaction (and I always do), so I now avoid them altogether.

Intolerances are not the same as having an allergic reaction. My intolerances cause IBS, stomach cramps, diarrhoea etc. An allergic reaction is a histaminic reaction and can be life threatening and shouldn't be challenged, as the reactions can tend to becoming increasingly severe and lead to anaphylactic shock.
  • Lizzy622
    Options
    Intolerances are not the same as having an allergic reaction. My intolerances cause IBS, stomach cramps, diarrhoea etc. An allergic reaction is a histaminic reaction and can be life threatening and shouldn't be challenged, as the reactions can tend to becoming increasingly severe and lead to anaphylactic shock.

This is why my daughter is never far from her EpiPen.
  • kamiyu910
    Options

Allergic reactions are an immune system response and can include digestive issues as well (I'm not sure if you're saying they don't, but it can be quite bad), but you're right that they can become life threatening. Reading up on how to "cure" a food allergy, I actually came across an article on Oprah telling people they can sometimes fix their allergy by eating a tiny piece of food that they're allergic to, such as putting a tiny bit of peanut under the tongue. I can't imagine what would happen to anyone who tried following that advice.
    I've been told by various different people that I don't have a true allergy because I've never experienced anaphylaxis, but I'll believe the allergist and my inhaler and other meds. I ended up with a really bad reaction recently because I thought, "One stalk of celery isn't going to hurt..." -_- I ended up wheezing and gasping for air on the floor until I was able to get my meds and inhaler. So I do try to not eat them, but I still crave them, even if I've not tasted it for years. I would almost kill to be able to eat an apple or banana right now.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    yes. i have an intollerace to anything acidic or with caffeine or soy. tomatos, vinegar, citrus fruits, meatless products with soy (i'm a veg), coffee, chocolate, alcohol as well.

i have that **** anyway, and i suffer later on when my bladder is completely tore up, there's blood in my urine and i am in excrutiating pain.

i don't have those things all of the time, maybe once a week so my symptoms are not as severe anymore.

i used to be allergic to nuts when i was younger, and would eat pb and chase it with clear benadryl.
    i still have an allergy to artificial dyes such as red 40, blue 1 etc which cause me to break out in hives from ingesting or from it touching my skin.

as far as the allergy, i really wouldn't chance it. something minor that may cause itchyness can turn into your throat closing the next second. be careful and it really isn't worth it to die over something that tastes good.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't have any food allergies but I'm intolerant to onions, they upset my stomach and make me nauseous. I love love love salsa though and sometimes it's worth the after effects to enjoy a portion :smile:
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to any foods. I am allergic to fluoride though. It causes little red dots all over on my lips. I still use fluoride toothpaste though. Hopefully I don't get a more severe allergic reaction to it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to lots of different foods such as Avocado and cucumber. I will still eat sushi that has both of those in it but I pay for it once my throat starts itching.

I see an allergist and he told me that I should absolutely stay away from those foods, even though my reaction is mild, I could go into anaphylaxis and shouldnt take any chances.

You might want to listen to your allergist and stay away from foods that cause your throat to itch. My throat used to itch from kiwi, but I ate it anyway. One day I ate it and my airway closed... luckily I had an epi pen for a peanut allergy, but my point is that you could "pay" for it one day with more than just an itchy throat...
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not an allergy but me and dairy do not mix well at all! It makes me quite ill, but i freaking LOVE cheese! Today I gave in to my cheese cravings and I regret it. But it was good at the time :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Op, that sucks. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Foodwise, I'm only allergic to shrimp, and only sometimes. I am allergic to sunscreen though, and I love the sun. I guess I'll just die of skin cancer someday. :-(
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Don't be stupid.. allergies that appear in adulthood only get worse, they do not get better. There is no way to know how bad your next reaction will be. I went from a numb face to anaphylaxis... don't mess with allergies..
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to any foods. I am allergic to fluoride though. It causes little red dots all over on my lips. I still use fluoride toothpaste though. Hopefully I don't get a more severe allergic reaction to it.

They actually have some good non flouride toothpastes out nowadays. You can find them in health food stores if you're interested. I never use flouridated toothpaste anymore and I refuse it at the dentist's office. I'm not allergic, it just grosses me out. Dentist says my teeth are in great shape, so don't think flouride matters too much for me.