One year on MFP.

Options
I began MFP on July 26, 2012. I weighed 478 pounds. At the end of December, 2012, I had dropped 95 pounds to 383. I was knocking at the door of a 100 pound weight loss. Then I let real life interfere with what I was doing here. Over the next 7 months, my weight zoomed back up to 421. Still a 57 pound loss. But not the 120 pound loss that I planned to have at the one year mark.

I am not writing this for kudos, attaboys, "keep your chin ups" or anything of the sort. I am writing this for the one (or several) of you who lost something (or a lot) and gained some or all of it back. I am writing to say that I choose whether to congratulate myself on losing 57 pounds or beat myself up for regaining 38 of my previously lost pounds. I choose the former. I choose to set my sights on being down another 100 pounds by this time next year, for a total MFP loss of 157 pounds. I choose to learn from the mistakes that I've made and to use that wisdom to help me avoid them over the coming year. I am writing to say that so long as we are willing to continue to step into the batter's box and risk striking out, we continue to have the chance to hit a home run. I am writing to say that nothing that we did yesterday, or last week, or last month, or last year, guarantees the success or failure of our today, our next week, our next month, or our next year. The only thing that guarantees that is our own individual effort, determination, drive, motivation, willpower, and fortitude in the face of adversity.

I started today by consuming 1,100 calories worth of barbeque. When I was finished, I thought today would be just another day in the red as many recent days have been. But then I slammed on the brakes. I chose to control food, and not let food control me. I end the day very satisfied, and with hundreds of calories to spare. I can do this. You can do this. We can do this. The only remaining question is whether we will expend the effort that is necessary for us to get where we want to go tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. Personally, I KNOW that we can do it. Join me, won't you?

Humbly submitted,
Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Excellent job putting on the brakes!! It's my first time on MFP & my first time losing any significant amount of weight. I have a long way to go and plan to reach my goal weight by 12/14. I'm with you all the way! We can and will do this!
  • tallutta
    tallutta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello Scott.

Thank you so much for telling us your story. You really inspired me with your thoughts and encouragement. And you know what, when I finished reading your story guess what I saw? The banner at the bottom that said 56 lb. lost and that is what I focused on. So there it is.

I recently watched a few episodes of Extreme Weight Loss on ABC, do not know if you have seen it. But one of the guys reminds me of you, it is worth the watch (about 1.5 hours). I am giving you a link to watch the full episode online. Do not know if it will work or not, if not search around maybe you can get it. HIs name is Mehrbod and he weighed in over 400 lbs. Anyway you go through a few minutes of ads and then it starts up.

http://watchabc.go.com/extreme-weight-loss/SH55124938/VDKA0_fne3n4ea/mehrbod

I know you are going to make it. And I need to make it. For me I start and stop, start and stop and like you said I let the food control me. Today is Saturday as I write this. Usually it was going to the store and getting some stuff to indulge in whilst watching some cooking shows and movies and what have you, just being a couch potato. Well today I said no, not going to do it. I bought a nicely prepared salad and snacked on that through the day, counting my calories in it of course!

Keep up the good work. I think I can speak for all of us when I say thank you for sharing.

God Bless -
    Susie
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You have a great perspective! Thanks for the reminder to hold on to the successes and forgive ourselves our failures. Failures are just lessons in disguise!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You are doing great Scott! I'll pat you on the back if I damn well please! :)
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very much in the same situation but instead of just putting back the weight I had lost, I also gained another 30kgs on top of that.
    I am now starting to work all that off (in fact I am one foot out the door to the gym as we speak). So I will more than happily join you!
    Best of luck.
    Rach
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Great job taking control. Too many times people think " I have already ruined my diet this much today, may as well keep going."
    That is the same thing as saying "well, spilled some Juice on the carpet, burn down the house."

Great job cleaning the carpet and not setting fire to it.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will!

Sign me up, and add me to your "Friends" list!

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I think we have both been having a mid diet crisis!!
    Right back focusing on the next choice with you xx

If you ever decide to quit the wonderful world of law, you would make a great columnist by the way ;)

Hx
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great attitude, Scott. The key message you say is to learn from days when things don't go right, not to be discouraged. We all had years of reinforcing really bad habits, and those take time to eradicate and replace with good habits.. you did so well to put the brakes on after the BBQ, and not write off the whole day, and keep on pigging out!
    I keep hitting plateaux, partly as I won't eliminate trigger foods from the cupboard - as having done that in the past, I get down to a reasonable weight, and then just go straight back on eating them again - I have to learn self-discipline - one biscuit, not two, a few crisps, not a whole bag, etc, etc!! And portion control is one of the keys, too.
    I know it is going to be a long haul, and calculate it will be well over halfway through next year before I get into a healthy BMI, so if you want a friend along the way, send a request.
    :flowerforyou: