Strength training newbie

I recently joined the gym and have been focusing mostly on the cardio initially. I'm now wanting to start on the strength training machines, but I'm a little clueless. How much weight? How many reps? The order to do them in?? I really have no clue....any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Fellow newbie, hi :smile: I asked a Q similar to this a couple of hours ago but no-one repled yet, so hope someone replies to yours.
    Just ordered 35kg barbell & dumbells online, can't wait to start. Hope I bought heavy enough, absolutely no idea!
    Sorry I can't help, hope someone else can.
  • Yeah, I hope so as well!! Good luck!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    The first thing I did was read a book, New Rules of Lifting for Women. While I was reading it, I did play around on the machines, not really doing anything specific, but to try to gauge how much weight I could move. It is different for everyone. The best advice is to just go and see what you can do.

Within a month, I got the courage to go over to the free weights section of the gym and to try my hand at the 4 major compound lifts: overhead press, bench press, squat, and dead lift. I used the 45 pound bar for everything but the overhead press. I used the 25, 30, and 35 pound straight bars.

The biggest thing to overcome is your own fear. Reading the book will help with that. I don't do the program recommended in the book (I liked a different program more), but it is a good program.

Best of luck.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    I absolutely LOVE weight liftng! Start off with what is heavy for YOU. Don't start with weight that is too heavy or you will injure yourself.

Form is very important. Google/youtube proper form for exercises like bench press, squats, over head press, barbell rows, and any other exercise that you find you are curious about when you begin lifting weights.

Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are fantastic reads for any woman wanting to start weight lifting. NROLFW is really comprehensive-- it talks about the benefits of strength training, explains the myths, talks about the importance of nutrition and how proper nutrients affect our bodies, gives recipes, TONS of advice, has workouts, etc. Great for somebody with little to no knowledge of weight lifting.

Research everything you are curious about. Don't get intimidated and remember that we all have to start somewhere. Good luck! :)
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    The first thing I did was read a book, New Rules of Lifting for Women. While I was reading it, I did play around on the machines, not really doing anything specific, but to try to gauge how much weight I could move. It is different for everyone. The best advice is to just go and see what you can do.

Within a month, I got the courage to go over to the free weights section of the gym and to try my hand at the 4 major compound lifts: overhead press, bench press, squat, and dead lift. I used the 45 pound bar for everything but the overhead press. I used the 25, 30, and 35 pound straight bars.

The biggest thing to overcome is your own fear. Reading the book will help with that. I don't do the program recommended in the book (I liked a different program more), but it is a good program.

Best of luck.

I agree. Loved NROLFW, but did not like the workouts at all. Just not for me.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Hi,

I think among the first things to consider would be your favourable weight (one that works for you). Preferable is to start light and work your way up.

Mi two cents' worth of thought...

First be sure you do not have any existing injury or a potential to (it is true what they say that afore adventuring into workout to be cleared by the doctor :) ).

Form is also very important to avoid injury, and to make sure you are exercising the right muscle (e.g., if working on legs, working your glutes vs, working your quadriceps). I have seen most newbies start with as little as 3 lb. weights, or even starting with body weight (no weight at all). See what works for you. Depending on the repetitions, the last three should be a wee bit difficult.

Also remember to breathe and not hold your breath. Inhale when bracing to start the lifting and exhale on the finish). There are many tutorials out there for proper form and breathing. Remember to stretch (there is debate on pre-workout stretching, but I think post-workout stretching is important), and remember to hydrate). Also proper gym attire that is comfortable for you does make a difference.

Remember to change up your workout every fortnight or so. This will make your muscles not get used to one type of exercise. You will still be working the same body parts, but with different exercises (e.g, if weeks 1 and 2 you did triceps pushdowns, for weeks 3 and 4 you may want to do chair dips or lying triceps, or triceps kickbacks and so forth). If working on the chest and back, for weeks 1 and 2 you may elect to do the chest press, and on weeks 3 and 4 you may opt for push ups. This also comes in conjunction with working your weights up, to challenge the muscles, rather than sticking with one weight for a long time.

I do strength training thrice a week. On the alternate days, I do some form of cardio. I used to do three sets, but now I have gone up to four. The reps depend on the kind of exercise I am doing, say for instance, my chest (incline chest press) exercise would look like: 65/10; 75/6; 70/8; 70/8///50/75 (where the first number is the weight, the second is the reps. and the /// indicates a split set).

I tend to favour free weights, as they force one's core to work to stabilize the body during the exercise, but I do use the machines on occasion.

I hope this helps, if only a little.
    Good luck! :)

"Do your best and forget the rest" - Tony Horton (P90X)
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Good luck to you too, mystiquefrog!

I'm going looking for those books right now.
    Here's to 2 more ripped bods on MFP :happy:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Maybe one of the gym staff can help you with a few basic moves? Or hire a personal trainer just for a couple of sessions to get you started with the proper weight and form? (I'm just at the point of thinking about incorporating real lifting, so these are ideass that have occurred to me.) Or be shameless. Look at which people in the weight room look like they know what they're doing and ask for a couple of pointers if they can spare a minute. Most people love to share their knowledge! Or you can just say, "If you see me doing this all wrong with bad form, would you please scold me?" Most people in gym cringe when they see others make a mitake but won't ay anything because they might be intruding on someone who really doesn't want to hear about it.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Check out the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women."

Weight lifted is going to be very specific to each individual, and rep/set count is also individualized based on what you want to accomplish: endurance 15 reps/set, build 8 reps/set, ranging from 3 to 10 sets, AND a large mixed variety for other plans and goals.

I'd recommend bodyweight only to learn proper form, and then focus on dumbbell and barbell lifts ... the machines lock you into a narrow range of motion (ROM) rather than allowing you to move through your natural range.

Good luck, go get strong.
  • Thanks for all the great info guys!!