Scary Photos That Should Have Been Destroyed

Options
If you are anything like me, you spent much of your life hiding in the background of photos; or perhaps, you made sure to be the person taking the photos. That way, no scary evidence of how you really looked to could ever show up without warning.

Of course, my hubbie Ed would occasionally snap a photo of me with our camera. I could always delete those shots or edit them down to a head and shoulder picture, if they weren't too bad.

Unfortunately, I could not control the accidental snapshot taken my someone I didn't expect. That's how these photos of me at Ed's ordination in 2011 have survived. One of the family had captured me at my top weight of 280+ pounds. If I had seen them before this year, they would have immediately been deleted from every place that I could find them.

I remember a similiar photo taken by my grand daughter, using my camera. Not only did that photo disappear, but I threw away that tan jacket the same day that I saw the photo. Yes, I never wanted to be seen in that jacket which 'made me look fat'. Of course, it couldn't have been my 280+ pound body that was ballooning out the jacket. That would have been too much for me to acknowledge at the time.

11-19-11280poundsstandinginpain_zps716c581e.jpg

11-19-11280poundsandbarelyabletostand_zpsa1e2ae0f.jpg

Today, I got a horrifying jolt. I was just visiting the website of a small church in San Diego that Ed and I had attended for a while, before moving to Apple Valley. While looking through their new website, I opened a photo post from October of last year. To my horror, I found a photo of me that I had never seen before.

There I was, sitting at a table...fat and sassy...and handing out candy to some of the children. I had no idea that someone had taken this photo, until today. This painfully accurate picture was taken just 1 day, before I met with my surgeon and was told that I had to lose 70 pounds to qualify for knee surgery. I know what my weight was on that day. I was exactly 270.9 pounds and quite sure that I would never consider putting myself on a diet again for the rest of my life.

Comparison10-12to04-13_zps58f01871.jpg?t=1374966740

Boy, did I have some surprises ahead of me. The photo on the right was taken 6 months later, after only 4 months on MFP and more than 40 pounds lighter. I am still amazed at the physical changes that only 40 pounds could make.

Today, I am another 20 pounds lighter than even that kinder April photo; and I am glad that I didn't have the opportunity to destroy that horrible snapshot from October or the equally frightening ones from 2011. I need them now to remind me of JUST HOW FAR I HAVE COME.

I also need them to show me what will happen, if I ever decide to go back to my old way of thinking and eating. These surviving, scary photos are my best motivation to just keep going and not give up.

Do have some of those scary photos of yourself; or did you destroy them all, like I wanted to do? Are you glad to have them now?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You look like a confident happy person, before and after, not scary at all. Congratulations on your weight loss. I wouldn't destroy the pictures.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have way too many pictures I'd rather be destroyed rather than let them see the light of day. But just look at the changes you've made! Sometimes it takes looking at a before picture just to see how far we've come.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are such an inspiration!!! Keep up the great work! (And I'm going to stop deleting the horrible pics of me - may they be a reminder of someone who I never want to be again!)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a few but cannot locate at the moment ... I'll post when I can ... Congrats on your weight loss . You look great !
  • dgb26
    dgb26 Posts: 77
    Options
    I am so proud of you, to not only admit by photo of what you had become, but more importantly that you were able to take it head onand make a change. I see you have lost 60+ lbs now...and that is awesome! You can do this and keep going until your own goals. I know how hard it is to deal with old fat photos. I am so embarrassed that I still have not posted any. I am in the hopes that when I reach my goal and I have made the change, that I can post my fat pics and be proud of myself and my accomplishments.
    Good for you!
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    one of the defining moments in me deciding to get my self together and get fit for life was seeing one of those exact same pictures that you describe. Any time i would get accidentally caught on film and later see that pic of myself i would be depressed for days sometimes even weeks after i hated what i saw hated what i had allowed myself to become. i would go thru family photos and rip up pictures of myself and any time anyone pulled out a camera i would sometimes literally run and hide or just try and make myself scarce. of course i have family memebers who know i dont like pictures so they would hurry up and snap when i was not looking. one of my reasons for wanting to reach my weight loss goals is so that i can have some pictures of me with my children so that they can have something to remember me by one day. id never thought i would say that i am grateful that people took these unsuspecting photos of me but today i am because when i finally reach my goal i want to be able to have a before and after to share with the world to hopefully inspire someone like all of the beautiful people such as yourself have inspired me. thank you for being brave enough to share.
  • barefoot_shuffler
    Options
    YOU. ARE. A. ROCK. STAR!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress!! After having two kids 15 months apart I had gotten big and depressed. I avoided the camera as much as possible but my mother-in-law said I'd regret not having pictures of myself taken with my daughters. I was fat, I didn't care about having my picture taken and did NOT want evidence of being that big. Weight loss was slow and two years later (which was just a few months ago) I just kind of gave up. Not long after that my mother-in-law brought over some pictures from a year ago at my oldest daughter's birthday party and there I was, HUGE. I can't find the picture right now but I did end up saving it. That gave me the boost to keep going with the weight loss journey. There's no stopping me now!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You are so beautiful and awesome! CUTE pic with the dog especially. Even heavy you were a lovely lady but now, WOW!

As for my "holy crap" photos...they are all on the server at my former job, they took tons of employee photos 24/7 and that was at my highest weight (I'm 5'8" and was between 280-307 over a 4 yr period) and now (at 232) I would almost like to have some of those photos just to show you all on MFP but otherwise no...lol
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are such a good storyteller. I think you look GREAT!!!! Bells, whistles and a crowded room cheering you on! :drinker: :drinker: :happy: :wink: :drinker:

As for me, keep those old photos of the truth smacking me in the face? No way! Destroyed them all!!!!! No regrets! :laugh:
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Way to go!
  • iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have done a fantastic job of avoiding the cameras. There are none of me at my heaviest. I still stay out of the viewfinder. I know that My clothes are getting much bigger so I'm happy. Right now I'm weeding out clothes as I try to wear them.

You have done an amazing job.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Just about every photo with me neck down in, im unhappy with. Itll be interesting now when I see candid photos whether I like them or not. I had a lovely moment of walking out of a restaurants toilets and looking straight into a full length mirror.....first time iveever been happy with my figure!
    You're doing so well, how much longer til the doctors appointment to show him your achievement?
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Do have some of those scary photos of yourself; or did you destroy them all, like I wanted to do? Are you glad to have them now?

I actually started taking progress pics from day one on purpose, but AFTER I lost 100 lbs, I found one that I would have never suffered to live if I had realized its existence. I'm PROUD of that picture now though because it really does show just how far I've come.

Worst. Photo. Ever. http://actionfiguremini.tumblr.com/post/52708145353/dudes-i-am-going-to-be-real-with-you-i-am-going
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have to say that you have a beautiful smile in both your pictures. If it weren't for the smile, I wouldn't know they were the same person!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    I am so proud of you, to not only admit by photo of what you had become, but more importantly that you were able to take it head onand make a change. I see you have lost 60+ lbs now...and that is awesome! You can do this and keep going until your own goals. I know how hard it is to deal with old fat photos. I am so embarrassed that I still have not posted any. I am in the hopes that when I reach my goal and I have made the change, that I can post my fat pics and be proud of myself and my accomplishments.
    Good for you!

well said and I agree with everything he said!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You're doing so well, how much longer til the doctors appointment to show him your achievement?

I have completed all my lab work, x-rays, ekg and even my dental clearance. I met with the ortho health educator on Thursday and will be check out by an Internal Medicine doctor on Monday. That is all I need, before I am given a surgery date for my first knee replacement. It could take up to 6 months; but I could also be moved up, if there is a cancellation.

My surgeon saw me a couple of week ago and was thrilled with my progress. My labs are all terrific, according to the ortho educator. So, I am right on track.

After finally getting on the preop list, I changed my weight goal to 145 pounds. Now, I realize that this isn't just about getting to my surgeon's goal. I needed to set a realistic, healthy goal for myself...not anyone else.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful and amazing I am so happy for you.
  • bluejade11
    bluejade11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful!

I haven't been in any full-body photos in YEARS. It's terribly hard, with everyone having cameras on their phones. Today I was brave enough to take some pictures of myself to use as motivation to lose the weight. I hope to be able to look back on my pictures (which have been destoryed everywhere except for mfp!) and have had as much success as you have. You're very motivating! Keep up the hard work!