Sleep paterns -

Options
So I am wondering how exactly to get all the sleep I need/want and still fit in a full work day and a work out.
I work at 5:30-6:00 everyday, and get home, eat and am read for bed. When I am at work at my project site I stay at a lodge where there is a gym and between 6-9 it is packed. I'm a little (very) self concious and don't like going when there are a bunch of people...

What are some opinions on this little idea ..

get home, eat, go to bed. Sleep for 4 hours, wake up, go to gym, go back to bed for a few more hours, then wake up and go to work, repeat....??

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There are lots of workouts you can do at home, you don't need to go to a gym. Buy some DVD's, take up running, get some free weights to use at home, bike, etc.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Truth be told they are Into their workout and not really thinking of you, but you can always go for a walk or do workout videos in your hotel room.
  • LWHershey
    LWHershey Posts: 6
    Options
    You seem pretty young to be working a tough sleep/work/exercise cycle. It is a TIME MANAGEMENT question, pure and simple.
    You "own" the 24 hours. You divide it the way you can MANAGE it. Takes 3-9 weeks, depending on you, to make a change stick.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You have to find a way to make it work. I work 12 hours a day, six days a week on night shift, so the gym doesn't even open until I need to be asleep. I do insanity on the tennis courts immediately after my 12 hour shift, then go home and eat and get to bed. I am doing some odd looking workouts in full view of the entire complex, and I have social anxiety, so this bothers me. However, being out of shape bothers me more, so I deal with it. Honestly, I might get one look from a person as they walk by, but they are always too wrapped up in their own lives to care what the crazy man on the tennis court is doing. At a gym, this is doubly the case. Everyone is there to do their own workouts, not watch you. You just have to want it more than you fear it.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I think that you would have to make time. Like someone said here, you need not go to the gym. And you do not need a large amount of space for workout.

Maybe you could try with a few push ups/squats/lunges with body first thing when you wake up, and pull ups/core as the first thing when you get home.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd work on the sleep and not bother with working out until you're getting 7-8 hours sleep per night. The sleep is important to our basic functioning and also for fat loss.

You can lose weight without exercising. Add the exercise in once you get the sleep figured out. I do agree you don't need to go to the gym to workout & a home workout sounds like it might work best for you right now.
  • sass0720
    sass0720 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah, Guess i should just suck it up. the 12.5 hour days 21 days straight gets me down sometimes. I feel like a zombie... so let's hope the regular work outs help with some of my zombiesque tendencies.

I booked a friend to gym with me at 3:30am... I'll have to get to bed right after dinner.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why are you working 21 days straight, sounds crazy.... Are you eating right lots of protein, veges.. Etc.
    it's hard I know I work 12 hour days 2 days, 2 nights. But have 4 days off.. Would hate your schedule.
  • sass0720
    sass0720 Posts: 12
    Options
    I work 21 days, then 7 off.
    Then i go to 14 on and 7 off. 21 for the rest of the summer though.

I can eat pretty well, there are lots of veggies at the lodge to pack a lunch and such. Apples, Pears, Peaches, bananas, oanges, grapefruit. Protein is harder - evrything has sauce or gravy on it.