Help

Options
I am currently deployed. I thought that I would instantly lose weight just by being here. That is not the case. I am watching what I am eating. Mainly salads for lunch and dinner. With cereal for breakfast. I work out for an hour a day and go to the pool for an hour. Where I lay around and sweat. My question is why am I not losing any weight at all? I will go up and down on the scale. Down 5 pounds up three. Down one up 4. Has anyone else had this happen? If so how do I get past it? I am starting to tone but I want to lose as I tone.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary it's hard to tell. Losing weight is a lot about diet. When you go to the pool do you just lay around or do you actually get in and swim? Sweating doesn't mean you are burning calories or losing weight. Sweating simply means that your body is trying to cool itself off.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that's causing this (extremely rare), then it's simple...you're taking in more calories than you burn. Log in your food, log in your exercise, and lose. Usually being deployed makes it a little easier, because you don't have all the stuff at your home that's always demanding attention. Add in a walk, or extra pool time, but if you take in less than you burn, then you should lose.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just being deployed does not mean you will lose weight. If you are deployed to a large base, the food options are pretty much the same. I was deployed to camp leatherneck in Afghanistan and unless you are very active, it was very possible to not lose weight being that much of the food was high calorie. Where are you at and what your job is will dictate what food is available and how much you burn. Remember MREs contain lots of calories. Losing weight will come down to calories in versus calories out.

Also, are you overweight? Usually people are not deployed if they are overweight and over the body fat %.
  • sweettx81
    sweettx81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not over weight just bigger than I have been in my life besides when I was pregnant. I usually run for 30 minutes. First 15 at 7.0 and the last 15 from 5 to 6 on the treadmil then I do 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30. With the pool sometimes I will do a few laps but I usually use it as a time to recover from the workout. I am currently working in an office environment. I am eating salads (iceburg lettuce, carrots, broccoli, peppers, eggs, tomatoes, and cumcumbers with a light dressing). I eat one bowl of cereal with skim milk before I start my workout.