Seeing something different in the mirror vs. pictures?

Options
So I'm getting close to my goal weight which I'm super happy about. It's weird though, when I look in the mirror,I'm not really satisfied with where I am ( I still like the way I look though if that makes sense, like I don't think i have any weird body image issues). But when I see full body pictures of me at some of the 5k's I've been running, I look at myself in the pictures and I look much thinner than I thought. This is weird to me because I used to hate how I looked in pictures and liked the mirror better. It's switched. Does anyone else experience this? Am I crazy? Maybe my bathroom lighting is really bad ? I dunno... What do you think?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Mirrors can deceive. Lots of people think they look thinner in a mirror, then get pictures and gasp.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • juliamamann
    Options
    That's very true. So when evaluating whether or not I should lose more weight or stay where I am, do you think I should go with my reaction to the pictures? Because based on the pictures I don't think I should lose anymore weight, but going by the mirror I think maybe I should lose a couple more.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Having been up and down more than once in my life, I have a theory. We develop a mental image of what we look like, and it doesn't always adjust with the gains and losses, at least not quickly. In the mirror, you see that brain image. The picture reflects what other people see. Last time I was at my lowest weight, I used to constantly be surprised when I realized that a random reflection on store front glass was me.. My brain is just stuck on what Imlook like. If I am heavier, it is a powerful tool of denial until I see a photograph.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    That's a good point! Never thought of it that way!
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, look in the mirror and think "lookin good girl!" then get my picture taken and think "what happened?!"
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too, very weird! oh, and go with the pictures, they are usually the cold, hard truth.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Having been up and down more than once in my life, I have a theory. We develop a mental image of what we look like, and it doesn't always adjust with the gains and losses, at least not quickly. In the mirror, you see that brain image. The picture reflects what other people see. Last time I was at my lowest weight, I used to constantly be surprised when I realized that a random reflection on store front glass was me.. My brain is just stuck on what Imlook like. If I am heavier, it is a powerful tool of denial until I see a photograph.

I agree 100% even now after losing more than 100 pounds I see myself heavier than i am. But when I was really Fat I never seen it until someone posted a pic of me on FB. The mind can trick you good.
  • irunoveru
    irunoveru Posts: 38
    Options
    I felt like that just the other day. So...I took some photos of me. I compared them to the ones I took in April of this year, there was a big difference. I look in the mirror and get disappointed too but like the other lady said...its all mental. We do create this supposedly image of what we think we should look like. But the pictures do not lie. Keep up the great progress! You can look at my profile its open to see for yourself just how far I have come. That's why I take pictures every month or two.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, look in the mirror and think "lookin good girl!" then get my picture taken and think "what happened?!"

Ha ha! Me too, totally.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I think what we see in the mirror is a combination of the reflection and what we *expect* to see... our preconceived notion of what we look like. And when we see photos, that very slight difference of not seeing our backwards mirror image is enough to get us to look at ourselves with a fresh perspective. And when we look at ourselves in a mirror, it's usually up close. Even if it's a full length mirror, we often look at ourselves as separate parts - hair, face, chest, waist, legs, etc. - not as the whole person. Since a photo isn't life-size, we don't zero in on each individual part.

I'm an artist, and it's the same way when I'm working on a painting. I see a combination of what I've actually painted, and how I want the finished product to look, so it's hard for me to judge when it's actually done. Before digital cameras, I'd have to walk away from a painting for a while, or look at it in a mirror, or even turn it sideways or upside down on the easel to get a fresh look at it. Now, I just snap a picture with my phone or camera and I'm able to see it with "fresh" eyes. And see what else needs to be done, if anything.

I just had a related NSV today... I was going through my photobucket account and saw a thumbnail of a pic of myself where I think I looked great. I'd gained some weight over the last few months (thanks, Depo!), and have been trying to get rid of it. I looked at that photo, sighed and though, "Damn. I can't wait until I can look that good again." Then I clicked the thumbnail, and saw that it was a photo from last MONTH, not last year. :laugh: It *was* how I look now... and I look good now. I'm just unnecessarily critical of myself.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    When I look in a mirror there is movement so I see all the jiggle. When I see a picture I see one still frame that has no jiggle. I want to be happy with the mirror.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I feel photos are more critical to me than reflections
    in mirrors and glass. I walked up to the store doors
    today (glass) they used to make me look wide but now
    I see a narrow person look back in my reflection. That
    was nice but still when posing for my camera, I never
    catch the way I actually appear when looking in home
    mirrors. For that matter store mirrors I used to look
    horrid in, not so now. But I've heard photos add pounds?
  • juliamamann
    Options
    When I look in a mirror there is movement so I see all the jiggle. When I see a picture I see one still frame that has no jiggle. I want to be happy with the mirror.

haha I don't mind a little jiggle and neither does my husband. But I get your point.
  • DomVitagliano
    Options
    I also feel exactly the same, I also thought I was the only one for a while too. I've lost almost 88 pounds in total. I even still pick up the larger clothing sizes and only realise when I'm trying them on I should have picked up the smaller size. Definitely go by your photo's even grab an old photo to help you confirm it in your mind, sometimes this helps me. Well done on your achievements and good luck :)
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is why I switched my goal from "weight loss" to "body recomposition". I clearly didn't need to lose weight, but just needed to shed some fat, then put on some muscle.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is the angle. I know when I look at myself in the mirror, I'm looking eye-to-eye with my 5'2" self. But when my husband take a photo of me, he's looking at me from his 6'2" self. So it's a different angle (and actually more flattering, often). But then again, when I look at my butt in my mirror, turning and trying to look over my shoulder, I think it's adorable. When my husband takes a pic of me from behind (like if we're hiking) I think my butt looks enormous.

So, I'm no help at all!