I'm so sore after lifting

Options
I've gotten some weights, and I've started going to the gym on top of my 30 mins cycling per day. Should I not lift much? I'm so sore, started trying to do squats, can barely do them. I can lift overhead and bicep curls, and do all the fixed weight machines at the gym. Point is, should I leave a day, I'm not lifting much, but I'm so sore :(

Replies

• saraedens
    saraedens Posts: 54
    Options
    You should lift every other day no back to backs. The muscles need time to rebuild. :)

EDIT~ I've been lifting for a month now and I do around an hour of lifting and I'm sore every time after lifting! But how sore are you? Are you stretching?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It'll suck for about a week after your first lifting session, it's normal. Some light cardio will help a lot. After the first 1-3 sessions you'll be fine. You should always have rest days between lifting regardless.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Do some light cardio. Getting the blood into your muscles will make a world of difference. Maybe get a few training sessions to check your form so your not doing things wrong and potentially hurting yourself. Good luck!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    It'll suck for about a week after your first lifting session, it's normal. Some light cardio will help a lot. After the first 1-3 sessions you'll be fine. You should always have rest days between lifting regardless.

Yup, this. I hit every muscle group once a week right now, looking to up that frequency to twice right now. Walking is amazing at working out the stiffness before it really sets in - I can tell a major difference between leg days where I just sit for a couple hours after, and leg days where I walk afterwards.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It won't be that bad forever, promise :) It is bad for the first week or two, and then it goes away for the most part. I've been lifting heavy for about 11 weeks now, and I am rarely sore, and never get "feel like I can't move" sore. Also, don't worry once feeling sore does go away, it isn't a good indicator of whether or not you got a good workout. I make strength gains just about weekly with my lifts.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    do the same exercises = but with light weight and low sets - objective is to warm up the muscles and get blood flowing. remember- easy.

some soreness is normal and means you are working with good intensity.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You're sore?

Isn't it wonderful?

I couldn't walk for three days after my first intense leg workout. It goes away but you if you just wait for it to stop hurting then you'll be putting too many rest days in there. Try every other or every three days if it's really bothering you.

And no hurting yourself.