Hot humid weather = more calories burned?

Options

Replies

• LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Excellent point! I wish I lived somewhere with ht dry weather!:happy:

Same. I think I'm allergic to humidity!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Typically you will burn less in hot weather as you cannot sustain the same level of intensity for as long as you do in cooler weather.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Then why all the hype with bikram yoga?
    Marketing.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hmm.. along the same lines.. do you burn more caloires at higher altitudes?? Since you do have to work harder, with the thinner air, to do the same exercises? I cant' run here.. but I can run forever at sea level..

Just curious..
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Same reason ketones and green coffee bean extracts or popular? People will believe anything?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Because people who aren't well versed in physiology, take the word of someone who purports it burns tons of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i wish
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I seem to be able to lose weight easier in hot humid weather. I feel I burn more calories trying to keep cool. But, I can't prove anything other than my scale moves faster in summer heat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I seem to be able to lose weight easier in hot humid weather. I feel I burn more calories trying to keep cool. But, I can't prove anything other than my scale moves faster in summer heat.

Water weight because you sweat more. It feels harder, but it's not.

You actually burn more calories trying to keep warm. But if you are running in the cold, yor body warms up quickly so it doesn't make much of a difference.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Because people don't know what they are talking about and it's in many people's self-interest to promote inflated calorie burns.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    hmm.. along the same lines.. do you burn more caloires at higher altitudes?? Since you do have to work harder, with the thinner air, to do the same exercises? I cant' run here.. but I can run forever at sea level..

Just curious..

Same thing--it feels harder, but the altitude results in a performance decline which means you are likely burning fewer calories, not more.
  • conciergefit
    Options
    Well, now, hold on a minute. I found this. Seems to support the idea that we burn more calories when exercising in higher temperatures.
    http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/1061/do-i-burn-more-calories-when-it-is-hot/
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Well, now, hold on a minute. I found this. Seems to support the idea that we burn more calories when exercising in higher temperatures.
    http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/healthy-living-article/60/1061/do-i-burn-more-calories-when-it-is-hot/

I didn't look up the actual studies but it seems that article is comparing calorie burns but not keeping intensity consistent. It seems to be saying you can exercise longer or at a higher intensity in moderate to warm temperatures allowing for a higher calorie burn, not that the you burn more calories doing the same intensity.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually the article seems just to compare the differences in calories burned between hot and cold weather. Most were thinking that exercising in cold weather burned more.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Exactly. It is my observation that people in warmer climate countries tend to be slimmer than their counter parts in colder climate countries.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Exactly. It is my observation that people in warmer climate countries tend to be slimmer than their counter parts in colder climate countries.

Correlation does not equal causation.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Could also be that a lot of countries at or below the equator are also poorer.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy highway builder, asphalt, for 37 years. Best work out you can get, ate like a pig all day never gained weight till age 45.

Now I work out every day in the direct sun for 1 hour, 60 push ups, 60 burpees 100 hamstring stretches, 75 jump lunges, 100 squats, full core workout. I love the heat, hotter the better. Sweating keeps the poison cleaned out of me. For me the after burn lasts a lot longer. I still sweat for an hour after my cool down.

Don't know if I burn more cals. or not, but I sure feel good and a heck of a good tan.