Stepped on the scale and panicked - 286 pounds...

Options
I stepped on a scale at someone's house recently, and I was freaked out when it read 286. I'm in my 20s, a 5'2" female, married, and would like to have kids in the near future.....but not at this weight. I'm scared for my health and I need to do something. Even losing 130 pounds would still put me in the overweight category, but I've never been a healthy weight so I need to start somewhere.

I'm looking for some friends that have a lot to lose or people that can help motivate me. It's going to be a tough journey, but I don't want to fail. I'm thinking of this as 13 10-pound goals (not thinking that 130 pounds is an average woman....oops....just thought about it...).

Good luck to everyone!!! And if anyone has lost some weight and had any tips, I would love to hear them...no, I NEED to hear them. Thanks in advance for all the support :)

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    5'3 female single 22y/o
  • CharleneG_Barnes
    CharleneG_Barnes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    5'4" lost 127# so far, biggest tip? log every single thing you put in your mouth. be honest with yourself if you "cheat" by not logging it, your only cheating yourself.....that being said, do not be afraid to treat yourself this is a marathon not a sprint and you want to change your habits not DIET and then return to old habits.
    good luck
  • eonni
    eonni Posts: 7
    Options
    Haha! My highest weight when I started was 300. :)
    And my weight loss might not be alot to some people, but it's progress!
    During the journey it's important to keep staying positive and not to think about how far you have to go, but think about how far you have come!
  • amrw85
    amrw85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @ skybella27 - Same thing happened to me yesterday!! I realized I weigh more now then at any point in my pregnancy.. My son is now almost 10 months old and I am quickly losing my "I just had a baby" excuse :( My goal is about 60lbs...
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was celebrating each little pound or piece of a pound as I lost it. I didn't look at how much I had to lose because it was overwhelming. I went from 314 to 185 back up to 210 and now down to 189.
  • randicooper1989
    Options
    Hun, I know the feeling. I weigh 239 and I'm 5'4". My ultimate goal is to lose about 100lbs. I am having the bariatric surgery done in a couple of months, but I have to lose 10 lbs first. I am finding if difficult. Add me if you want to work together to get a start!
  • randicooper1989
    Options
    Awesome work!!!!!!!!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" married 48 y o - starting weight 213. Current weight 200.

Like you, I have a number of smaller mini-goals -

1) Get outta the 200's! :-D I am real close!
    2) Next goal: 192 - which would represent having lost 10% of my starting weight
    3) Get outta the Obese category on the BMI Scale - somewhere around 168 for me
    4) Get to the top weight for Normal on BMI around 140.

If I look at - OMG I've got to lose 73 lbs - I wanna just collapse in frustration. I gotta do it one day at a time, one meal at a time :-) Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well, you took the first step ,good for you .

every step will be closer to your goal .
    They will be hard , this will hurt sometimes .
    But boy will you feel great. I swear exercise will get fun later .
    make your self do it every day .
    when I started I could only walk 10 minutes on the treadmill . I walk and hour every morning and sometimes in the evening for fun ...what? I can't believe it.

Good luck !
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and encouragement everyone -- and congrats on the weight loss for those who've lost any amount, it's really awesome to read successes!
  • relentlessjoy
    Options
    I just started here as well recently but you can do it!! Your motivation -- your own health and the ability to be a healthy mother in the future -- will carry you through.
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    33yr old, I told myself I'd never let myself get over 200....well I started 226.4 currently 212. Took me 60 days to lose 14 pounds. Sometimes i get impatient and just want it all gone already, but I keep reminding myself I'm not "dieting" to get a quick fix, I'm changing my life. Each pound is a victory...I can't wait to be under 200. I log everyday honestly no matter how ugly it might be.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    21 year old female and have very similar goals!

SW 245
    CW 220.6
    GW 160

Feel free to add me if you would like
  • Darla4K
    Darla4K Posts: 1
    Options
    Good luck SkyeBella27 - literally just joined myself. Looking at trying the weight loss thing AGAIN. I should know by now that I need to adopt the lifestyle, but apparently I'm a slow learner. ;-) Aiming to lose 60 pounds. Add me if you like and good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am 36 5'3" and 173lbs. Right where I have been stuck for the past like 2 months. I think it's great that you are setting smaller goals instead what seems an impossible number! Right now for me that 160 seems so far away because I can't seem to get to 165 and stay there or climb right back up. I just take it one day at a time and I have to remind myself that it is 90% diet.
    But you started and that is the important part you got this! And don't forget to reward yourself at those goal points. get your hair done buy a smaller size in clothes get your nails done. Just something to make remember what you have accomplished. Yes there will be hard times, times when the numbers aren't what you want to see. You may have times that you gain but that is when you have to try harder and remember what you already done! just remember one day at a time one step at a time, one pound at a time. here is a smaller goal that may help to me personally I have another 43 lbs that is 172 sticks of butter but I have already lost 132 sticks of butter! Remember to have fun with this!
  • sav3175
    sav3175 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi I'm savannah I dont have alot to lose because i lost it already but if you would like to add me for support please do :)
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello! I started using mfp 6/19 and hit my first 10 pound goal this week. You can do it!

I have been following mfp's calorie recommendations and by no means starving myself. The first few weeks there was a learning curve, but I am far over that hump now. There were days that I exceeded my calorie goals, but I was still eating less than before and headed in the right direction. Now pretty much any day I exercise I have extra calories I don't know what to do with. A few nights a week I have dessert. I find eating what I want, but only a third or a half, makes it feel like I'm not sacrificing.

I was lightly active before (evening walks and bike rides with my 3 kids, occasional mountain hikes, on again off again Jazzercise membership, etc) but really stepped it up when i started logging and i feel that without that i wouldn't have had nearly the same level as success. At first any night i didn't exercise I went over on food, but even a short, brisk walk (usually with my dorky ankle weights) was enough to get me back where I wanted to be. Just do what you love, even if it feels small, and add from there. As I get healthier and stronger it makes me want to do so much more, things that have always been out of my comfort zone. I did end up buying a treadmill because the weather or cranky kids was keeping me from my goals. Some days I am less motivated than others to get my body moving, but if I can push past that first 30 mins to where I am warmed up it gets fun. There have been days where I've even stopped at 15-20 minutes, given myself a break, and then go back and find I'm past the hump. I love Jazzercise, but don't live close enough to one anymore, but recommend it to all my girlfriends. Groupon has great deals on exercise in m area, an easy way to try something new out at a discount without the commitment.

I find watching Extreme Weight Loss (ABC) really motivates me. Watching someone who weighs 400+ lbs exercise reminds me I have no excuse. We all start somewhere!

Best of luck to you!
  • ThinnerTimesAhead
    ThinnerTimesAhead Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started this lifestyle change about (2) weeks ago - believe it or not around the same weight you did! 288lbs. It was an eye opener for SURE. You are welcome to add me if you want! I have been updating daily. I would love to help cheer you on reach your goals! I like your idea of "13" 10lb goals! What a great way to look at it!
  • Dollfun1
    Dollfun1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I started on Wednesday. I understand the frustration as I am also at my heaviest ever.

SW: 244
    GW: 150

My goal weight will still put me about seven pounds over my ideal, but I know that at 150 I am going to feel GREAT!

I really enjoyed reading the other comments, great advice and wonderful inspiration.

I'm always up for new friends.

Take care and best of luck!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi Sky,

It's so tempting to say Sky, hi. Oh where was I. Oh yeah if you want to not think about how much you have to lose you can turn this around and think of it as meeting health goals. This is how I started well this is where I still am.

So maybe for the first couple of weeks you log food and don't do anything else so you can see how much you are eating and weigh yourself first oh already done at the end of two weeks weigh again if you lost weight well then logging got you to change something. But, if you stay the same then you will know what your maintenance calories are. Cut your calories by 250 or so and exercise about another 250 away you will lose a pound a week fairly easily.

You can change things bit by bit first maybe add more fiber. Maybe then up your protein later on. Your diary will be a big help showing you where you can make these changes.

Just ask yourself what you can do today to make tomorrow better. There is always something and if you do at least one thing a day well two log and meet your calorie goal, you will lose weight. I wish I could say how fast but everyone is different. But, you will lose and at the end of the year you will be considerably lighter.