Going out for DRINKS tonight

Options
Alright! So here's the thing...

Once upon a time, I used to go out for a drink or twelve and eat deliciously bad for me foods and do nothing the next day. I am hoping not to do that tonight. But you see, since I started on this journey (of health and fitness), I have not really drank alcohol, if at all.

Tonight, though, my friend wants to go out "like old times". I have pretty strong willpower, and when I do have ONE drink or so, I tend to now stick to Vodka Soda (with an orange :drinker: ). Tonight, however, I have a feeling it will be more than one drink kind of night. :ohwell: I mean, it will be fun and we might go dancing (EXERCISE!?) and stuff.

So what I'm getting at is (sorry its so long)... what do you suggest I eat today? Should I try to keep my calorie/carb intake low today since I don't know what tonight might bring? Any thoughts on better for you drink ideas?

I'm honestly kind of nervous about leaving my comfort zone of "health". :frown: Ya know?

Replies

• tarashley13
    tarashley13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, not drinking for a while plus not much to eat all day means the alcohol hits me hard and fast. I'd say eat high protein, low carb today, enjoy tonight, and get back to normal tomorrow. It's a lifestyle change and we have to have some fun.
  • johncorbin581
    johncorbin581 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have no advice about the food size, i would suggest shots. correct me if i am wrong but i believe that they have less calories and much less carbs.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hiya...definitely don't scrimp on the meals or you'll be out for the count lol....Have a night off and if you feel bad about it then do a couple of extra sessions at the gym in the week..... Don't be so hard on yourself... You could always drink the odd bottle of water in between (will help with the hang over tomorrow ;) ) x
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am going out to dinner and a concert tonight too. I will eat/drink out of my ordinary. I had steel cut oats for breakfast and a bar for lunch and a veggie/cheese/fruit snack. I also logged some quality exercise. I am going into the night in a good place with a 1200 calorie deficit still. I checked out the menu of the dinner place and will made a half way decent choice and I'll keep my drinks reasonable. I think it's all about planning and doing the best you can while enjoying life! Have fun on your night out.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't cut your calories too low for today. It's not the best thing to do when you are drinking. Can you squeeze in a workout before you go? That would give you some extra calories for the evening.

Eat before you go. Order a drink like a white wine spritzer, rum and diet coke, vodka and diet coke, etc. If you do have more than one drink have water in between.. not only will it keep you hydrated and help you not have a hangover tomorrow but it will help you avoid more calories by order drink after drink... or drink diet coke in between drinks as you will still look like you are drinking but you won't have those extra calories. Drink your drinks slowly. If you are going dancing that's a great way to burn off some calories as well.

If you are going to eat while out make sure you don't do it later in the night when you may of had more than you should of drinks. Split a meal with a friend... order the starter size... etc. If you do go a bit over your calories fit in an extra workout tomorrow to burn it off and keep the deficit.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    They also have "Skinny Girl" drinks which I think are 100 calories now -- althought I think the margarita is much lower.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Don't cut back on calories if you are going to be drinking a lot youll be sick. Just have fun and enjoy it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hiya...definitely don't scrimp on the meals or you'll be out for the count lol....Have a night off and if you feel bad about it then do a couple of extra sessions at the gym in the week..... Don't be so hard on yourself... You could always drink the odd bottle of water in between (will help with the hang over tomorrow ;) ) x

Oh yeah stay hydrated
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com

a glass of water between drinks won't hurt either.

...and like the others have suggested, just eat like you normally would.. log it, enjoy it, and move on.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I would eat lowISH today but not too low. Lots of meat and veggies, without any junk, and get as much exercise as you can while drinking lots of water. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go to cardio exercise, and see how many cals you burn dancing in an hour. It's quite a bit. Dance the night away, and it will really add up! Also, if you haven't been drinking very much, you will need less alcohol to get to the same buzz. Drink water in between drinks, and stick with your vodka soda if you can. This way you won't go over much (or at all depending on what you eat), will have a blast dancing, and not be hung over! WIN!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ahh my favorite.. alcohol :) I try to eat a small breakfast and then a larger meal before I go out... I stick to a lower calorie day just because I know the damage I'm going to do and yes water between drinks :)

To curb the guilt I try to remember that 10 beers did not make me fat and a splurge every once and a while is ok.. or every weekend... but what evs..

Also - HIDE your trigger foods for when you get home. My problem is not always the alcohol calories its the after alcohol sitting on my couch - I'm going to eat through my pantry mentality. Dominated those Doritos though. :)

PS - Dancing burns lots of calories :)
  • tarashley13
    Options
    Thank you all for all the insight and suggestions.

I know this sounds silly, but I hadn't even thought about making sure to drink water.

I did workout this morning and I think I will squeeze in taking my dogs for a walk to have a little more "room to play with".
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    Hmm I'm not sure this would fit into your situation, but if I want the alcohol to hit me pretty hard without drinking away half my calories, I usually go on an empty stomach. And stick with shots. If I keep drinking TONS of water throughout the night, my morning after isn't bad at all. I usually also pack a pre-portioned healthy snack in my purse (nuts are my favorite!) cause I always seem to get the munchies when I'm tipsy...
  • tarashley13
    Options
    Thanks.