PLEASE HELP me upping calories

Options
sopha20
sopha20 Posts: 6 Member
So basically I've been eating wayyyy few calories --approximately 400per day for 3months--- anyway i know that it was bad for me and i am wanting to increase my daily intake to 1200, BUT i really dont want to undo all the work ive done. I know i have to expect to put weight back on but how can i keep this to a minimum and how ca i ensure I'm putting muscle on not fat.
PLEASE HELP
thanks in advance

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    you have damaged your metabolism, start eating a reasobable amt of calories. You will gain, your body has become more efficient running on starvation calories. You need to repair your metabolism or continue eatinng 400 calories a day to not gain. AFter you gain some, hopefully your body will adjust, you are young, so it may not be that bad.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Add a 100 calories every couple days as to not shock your body. You need the correct information as to figure out your actual BMR and TDEE to know what you should be eatting per day. Here is a link with good info that can help you figure this all out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    you can start by eating an extra 100 or 200 cals per day for a week. Then up it again another 100 or 200 for the next week. Do this till you've hit your goal calories Start lifting weights or do body weight exercises so as to keep whatever muscle you may have left. Drink your 8 glasses of water or whatever you can do every day. When you up your cals...be sure to focus on getting more protein in your diet. This should help, for starters. Great job on realizing you need to eat more :flowerforyou:
  • angiep098
    angiep098 Posts: 33
    Options
    A couple of months ago I was restricting to <500kcal. What I did: I upped my intake by 200kcal every week until I got to 2000kcal, and made sure to workout on a regular basis (cardio + weights), and eating back my exercise calories. I seriously damaged my metabolism, but now I'm the fittest, healthiest I've ever been and now I'm losing on 1400kcal a day. You WILL gain weight at first but please don't let that scare you, I PROMISE it'll be worth it later. Just focus right now on giving your body the proper nutrition it needs (focus on the quality of food you're eating rather than how many calories) then later think about losing inches. Good luck!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    was simply speaking from my experience. I upped my cals from under 800 to 2000. I started out eating 800 per day so I upped them to 900 per day for a week, then 1000 per day for a week and on up to 2000. It worked for me and I must say that i'm much better and healthier for doing it. Good luck and happy eating!!
  • sopha20
    sopha20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help, i also find that i eat alot healthier around other people than when i am alone, does anyone else get this? agh