Lost 4lbs overnight... What happended?

Options
I've been easing into mfp and an increase in exercise over the past 2 weeks. So far the scale hasn't budged at all.

But I woke up this morning and got on the scale and I dropped 4lbs overnight! I weighed myself on the same scale at the same time yesterday. Im happy but confused at the same time. What could have caused something like this to happen?

Replies

• hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    hi there - I had a similar-ish thing happen. Weighed myself on the monday evening and then weighed myself on the Wed evening - same scale - and I'd lost 3kg....?! Another time it happened, my trainer couldn't believe it and asked everyone who was at the studio if they'd weighed themselves that day and if their weights accurate (which they were)
    I just assumed it was a water/food thing so I look forward to hearing people's theory on this one too :smile:
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Someone told me before that we weigh our lightest in the morning...which is why we should weigh in at the same time of day each time we do it. So if you weigh yourself later today you'll probably be up a little bit, just because of food/water intake.

*edit - just noticed that you said you weighed yourself at the same time yesterday. There goes that theory then - looks like your efforts have paid off so!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I find NO pleasure or success when I weigh myself everyday. I weigh myself every two weeks. Fluctuation is a B!%^H and can be very discouraging.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go a week or two with no change and then drop 3 pounds at once. I have no idea why. Also could be related to your hormones and where you've been in your cycle.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Actually had a similar experience this week. I always weigh myself in the morning after I've emptied the processed food and liquid from the previous day (hope that's putting it delicately enough). On Wed morning I saw a difference of almost two pounds. I figure sometimes things process more quickly than other times and you'll see what seems like large bounds rather than small steps. I've been at this for almost three months and the most I lost in one week was 6 pounds.

I don't know what kind of scale you're using, but I know that my digital one will take different measurements depending on how I stand on it. It's kind of dumb, especially when the number seems particularly low. But I'll step on a few times over the course of the morning before I eat or drink anything and then average out the differences in the weight.

Four pounds in 2 weeks is right on the 2 pounds/week loss range that you want to be in, so that's perfection. Sometimes it takes a while for the scale to become convinced something has changed. Anywho, those are my guesses.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Have you been drinking a lot more water - sometimes it takes time for me to see an increase in water consumption on the scale - but it's then a big drop.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, the body can fluctuate up to 5 lbs above and 5 lbs below your "real" weight every day (even within a day) due to sodium levels, waste, muscle hydration levels, and food in your stomach and intestines. As cool as this sounds, I wouldn't put to much stock in it, it's just as likely tomorrow that it'll all be back. NOW if you checked your weight once a week for a month and still had this 4 lb loss, then I'd be more inclined to see it as real loss.

I know this sounds pessimistic, but I'm a realist, and I wouldn't feel right if I didn't give you the honest truth.
  • littleprole
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I realize now that I can't count is as a victory until I see it stick! I plan on staying off the scale for at least a week.

Interestingly enough I did drink a TON of water yesterday. Probably close to 12 cups. This is just motivation to keep at it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I realize now that I can't count is as a victory until I see it stick! I plan on staying off the scale for at least a week.

Interestingly enough I did drink a TON of water yesterday. Probably close to 12 cups. This is just motivation to keep at it.

the water probably flushed out some sodium from your system, which would in turn cause you to actually dehydrate a little. That's a guess, but quite possible.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend yesterday at the gym that started counting calories in January. He said one month he dropped no weight and the next month was FIFTEEN POUNDS ... in a month. Then the next month it was 2lbs. So it fluctuates and yeah, 4lbs overnight is possible based on many factors. I agree though, don't count it unless it stays consistent (and don't obsess over it LOL)
  • wendimarlow
    wendimarlow Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Good job with the water consumption! Keep it up and I believe you will see some great changes on that fickle scale! I think water is one of our greatest weapons in this battle!