Went on an extreme binge

Options
-600 calories of club crackers (A whole stack of crackers from the box)
-600 calories of captain crunch cereal(Probably around 6 cups of cereal)
-180 calories of BBQ cornuts

IS WHAT I JUST BINGED ON JUST NOW.....

Plus I ate 1569 calories before I ate all of this.... With a total of about almost 3,000 calories.... I had a mini binge yesterday going about a little over 400-500 calories from my calorie limit... Today was just TERRIBLE and MUCH WORSE.... I have this bad habit of having 1-3 binges a week... I am terrified to check my weight tomorrow. I check everyday which is a bad habit... I'm planning on not checking for 2-3 days so that my weight can go back to normal... How can I stop this???

Replies

• jaina08
    jaina08 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Btw, I am 5'1, 122 lbs and so close to reaching my goal weight of 120 lbs. This is scaring me because I am not sure if I will be able to reach my goal as fast.... This will really slow down the weight loss.... :(
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should think about what you are doing before you binge is there a common factor? If there is maybe you can work on that. Like is it only on days where you try to be extra low on calories or when u eat a lot less fats and so forth.. are you limiting yourself so much that you binge all at once? Take baby steps to reduce your calories if you think you're eating too much. And a little bit goes a long way you may not need to drastically reduce your calories to achieve the goal you desire. Again evaluate the situations and find the common factor
  • jaina08
    Options
    Maybe you should think about what you are doing before you binge is there a common factor? If there is maybe you can work on that. Like is it only on days where you try to be extra low on calories or when u eat a lot less fats and so forth.. are you limiting yourself so much that you binge all at once? Take baby steps to reduce your calories if you think you're eating too much. And a little bit goes a long way you may not need to drastically reduce your calories to achieve the goal you desire. Again evaluate the situations and find the common factor

I think it might be because I try to eat as clean as possible everyday without even adding in a little bit of "junk" into my diary. I noticed that when I get a loss like a 1 lb loss for example I keep it up for 3 days and once I realize that my loss is stable I end up eating more which leads to binging assuming that it's okay because of a pound lost. Then I end up regretting it when I notice my weight going up again. After it goes up I go back to eating extremely clean making my weight go down again and then the same process happens again. Once it drops I go back to binging. It's on and off... I dont know why I do this...
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Welcome to being human. :laugh: You're ok. Just log it all, and remember that tomorrow is a new day. As far as suggestions, can you keep that stuff out of your house for a while? And, can you do some exercising in the evenings? Nothing extreme, like a stroll through the neighborhood. It shifts your focus away from food, and you can use the time to reflect on your success in your weight loss journey.

Most of all, learn to forgive yourself. It takes time and practice, but that will help you lose the guilt. Congrats for reaching out. You did good!

BTW, how does it feel to be shop close to your goal? I'm so excited for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • Schann7
    Schann7 Posts: 218
    Options
    I'm guessing you have had some sort of self control over binging before to be able to lose the weight your ticker says you have lost? Anyway, Do you know why you binge? Boredom? Hunger?

If you are hungry you may need to change the foods you are eating to reach your calorie goal for the day so you aren't hungry, but my guess is that you just like the food you are binging on!
    You could make allowances in your calories for the day for small amounts of the foods you binge on so that you don't feel deprived and will want to over induldge.
    You could try to find something lower in calories to snack on, to take the calories down and lessen the blow.
    You could throw out any trigger foods.

Forget today, go do some exercise and start a fresh tomorrow, and don't stress.. 2lbs from goal is pretty much already there!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    So you binge on foods you consider off limits? Have you tried allowing yourself to add some of those things to your everyday diet? If something isn't forbidden it can be easier to take or leave, at least for me.
  • RabbiBeth
    RabbiBeth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. Been there, done that.....oh so many times. The good thing is that you are HERE. You are putting it behind you and taking the reigns again. Instead of going on and on and on with the binge, you are coming clean and ready to move forward. You are in control. It's over - time to eat clean tomorrow, drink a lot of water and move forward. You can do it!!! It's okay! Forgive yourself and move on!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't see that you've logged any exercise or water the past few days. Are you exercising and therefore earning extra calories? Are you drinking enough water? Are you cutting out the foods you love and then binging on occasion? Is the powder your drinking enough for you? And make sure you log everything you eat so you can see it. See every bit of what you eat and exactly how many calories you consume, even the binges.

You can try to drink a huge glass of water and wait 5-10 minutes before you eat/before you allow yourself to binge. You can also try to go for a walk when you feel a craving coming on. Or phone a friend. Or log on to MFP and read all the success stories.

I always try to leave room in my daily calories to eat something I want. Whether its a cookie, or ice cream or whatever. For me personally, it makes sense for me to learn how to make a permanent lifestyle change, which means allowing myself some treats along with eating good foods I do try to eat a cup of fruit before I eat a cookie. I'm not an expert, but its working for me. Good luck!
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would also check my emotions Why am I eating all this? What is happening in my life? Does it have to do with your hormones? I would go Crazy for chocolate and salty things before I hit menopause.. Still have a problem with salty things. You are good to come here and talk about it,
  • Hlasweet
    Hlasweet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You cannot beat yourself up. It solves nothing. We all have off days but it's a matter of getting back on track. I would suggest you look at what you are doing when you start to binge. There might be a trigger for you that is sending into this eating.

Don't be consumed by the numbers. Be happy and make sure you are gentle on yourself and the binging will stop!
  • jaina08
    Options
    I NEVER log the foods I binge on.... It just makes me feel terrible seeing how much calories that I've ate and went over on.... I think I should be more honest with my diary anyways...
  • 1dce
    1dce Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yeah so maybe it would work for you to add 1 small cheat everyday and it won't throw you off but will help you be more satisfied :) Try it see if it works
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Eat regular meals with good food so you aren't hungry.
    Fill up on leafy greens like kale, broccoli, and collard greens, which will keep you full for hours.
    Plan to have food in the fridge ready so you can put together meals and snacks in 5 minutes.
    Get all of your binge foods out of the house.
    Drink a lot of water, Buy a beautiful water bottle and keep it with you. Do what it takes, add lemon slices or fruit, so you will drink it -- water will curb your appetite.
    Leave yourself notes of encouragement.
    Set up other treats and rewards for yourself, something other than food.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been there many times...forgive yourself and move forward. You journal your food...Maybe you need an emotional journal too. A safe place to jot down those thoughts that cause you to want to "stuff" them down with food. Maybe if you got those thoughts down on paper it might help. You are almost at your goal...you CAN do this.