Some advice please?

Options
Hello everyone(: So I am 5'6" & 3/4 and I currently weigh 144lbs. I used to be a solid 157 and would sometimes drift up to 160. I have been losing this weight for about 7 months and I haven't gone to the gym once. The most exercise I do is pretty much walking around the mall. I'm very proud of my loss so far. I aim to be around 130 by the end of my journey. I just want to know if there are certain foods that have really speed up your weight loss? I just want to be done with worrying about my weight! Also, I want to know if I should be aiming at a lower weight or if 130 would be just right. Lastly, what are some at home with no equipment needed exercises I can do. Thanks!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone(: So I am 5'6" & 3/4 and I currently weigh 144lbs. I used to be a solid 157 and would sometimes drift up to 160. I have been losing this weight for about 7 months and I haven't gone to the gym once. The most exercise I do is pretty much walking around the mall. I'm very proud of my loss so far. I aim to be around 130 by the end of my journey. I just want to know if there are certain foods that have really speed up your weight loss? I just want to be done with worrying about my weight! Also, I want to know if I should be aiming at a lower weight or if 130 would be just right. Lastly, what are some at home with no equipment needed exercises I can do. Thanks!

There are no magical foods that speed up weight loss.

Weight loss comes purely from a caloric deficit.

How many calories a day are you netting?

You can run outside, you can join a gym, you can purchase dumbbells/weights, exercise dvds, do bodyweight circuits. The options are endless and depend on your goals and what you'll stick with.

Check out the book You Are Your Own Gym or here for ideas: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think 130 sounds perfect for you :)
    And it really is just eating less..or of lower calorie foods!
    So yes, there could be a "magical" food if you substitute for something unhealthy that you eat a lot!
  • Renobiker
    Renobiker Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes that is why losing weight is soo tough for some, its really simple method of going to the gym few times a week not every day. And just eating right you will drop about 2-3 lbs per week. Everyone wants to try the next thing or next trend which might be able to shed 30lbs in 30 days then boom comes right back.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress thus far! And as the one person mentioned you have to have a caloric deficit to loss weight ..there's a ton on books out there on body weight exercises if your not fond of the gym..I avoid it myself in the warmer months and do a much higher outdoor cardio regime. Check out amazon nonlinear or hit your local bookstore for some good reads
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    144 at 5'6" is a reasonable weight. It may just take you some time to work your way down to 130, which is also a reasonable weight.
  • Robertsollady
    Robertsollady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    some people think the more calories you eat not exceeding over 2,000 is fine but i have tried that, if i eat ,1.500 or less i do better
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have found that not only lowering my calorie intake but actually eating "real" food, not processed, packaged stuff has made a huge difference. Not only in weight loss but also I just feel a lot better and feel like exercising. My two cents...:)
  • Iwanttobeahotwife
    Options
    I agree that without exercise you have to eat less to lose weight... or fewer calories. Once upon a time there was a "vinegar" diet in which women increased the acidity in their stomachs -- and decreased appetite? or 'burned up' the food? ... but it is not a healthy or a long-term solution. for nutrient-rich filling food try edamame or sweet potato. for volume and the feeling of fullness with good nutrients and low calories try broccoli, cauliflower, all kinds of green stuff. . .