Zombies anyone?

Options
Okay so, now that I have your attention. I wanted to share a SUPER awesome running app that isn't quite on this site!
The app is called zombies, run! and it's SO MUCH FUN. Seriously. I always look around for fun and awesome apps to keep me motivated, and this really does it.
This is how it works:
The app can either track your distance by GPS, or for the treadmill runners, it can track by steps, although not as accurate.

The storyline to this app/game is that you are a runner (runner #5) and you have crash landed when your mission fails to drop supplies to nearby camps. No one knows how you got shot down, but you end up in a small base.

The app features over 20 "missions" were you go on a run to gather supplies or some other sort of task that the camp needs from you. After all, you are the super star athlete (;

While you run, you collect items that you can later give to certain parts of the base such as the food supply, recreation, housing, etc. The base will grow the more you run and collect things.

You also have the option to turn on zombie hordes, where they chase after you and you have to run faster to escape. (I'm pretty sure this is only when you use your GPS though).

Anyways, It really is a ball, and I want to say its.. 9.99? SO WORTH IT. I'll post the link below if you want to see (:

If you already have the app, how do you like it?

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Replies

• marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Aw :/
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've totally heard of this and just forgot until I saw this!!!! Thanks for the reminder :drinker:
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    the apple version is 50% off right now - which is even better!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have it, and the 5k training app, and I'm currently working my way through Season 2. I love it. Except that the zombie chases always seem to happen when just came down one hill and I'm about to head up another.

If you're balking at the price, definitely "like" them on Facebook and keep an eye out for sales, which happen regularly. But it really is worth the full price.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Edit: Just checked. It's half price now. Regular app is $3.99, 5k training is $1.99.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just got both Zombie apps for my iPod. I havent tried them out. I am a bit confused though..... you mention GPS to track your running.... how does that work if it is on an iPod where this is no Internet Connection/wif.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There's a ZR Group here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/6504-zombies-run-group

Cheers,
    Runner 5
    Abel Township
  • Evilmuffin666
    Options

Obviously I am not Computer tech savy.....

So should I go out and buy something to Play this game if I want it to work with maps?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    It's really nice having a smartphone with GPS to use apps like this or Runkeeper (ZR tends to overestimate mileage, so I use Runkeeper along with it because it tracks better), but not necessary.

But before I had a smartphone, I'd use the mapping feature on RunKeeper or MapMyRun websites, and just time myself. Then plug in the time with the map on the site to calculate my average pace. The only problem with that is you need to remember exactly where you went, whereas having GPS track it, you can go off road and on trails and zig zag down all kinds of sidestreets (and turn around because the zombies started chasing you as you're going uphill and you know you can't build up the right amount of speed on an incline to escape them!) and not have to remember your exact route.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Options
    It's really nice having a smartphone with GPS to use apps like this or Runkeeper (ZR tends to overestimate mileage, so I use Runkeeper along with it because it tracks better), but not necessary.

But before I had a smartphone, I'd use the mapping feature on RunKeeper or MapMyRun websites, and just time myself. Then plug in the time with the map on the site to calculate my average pace. The only problem with that is you need to remember exactly where you went, whereas having GPS track it, you can go off road and on trails and zig zag down all kinds of sidestreets (and turn around because the zombies started chasing you as you're going uphill and you know you can't build up the right amount of speed on an incline to escape them!) and not have to remember your exact route.

Damn... this is getting very technical. I guess I should ask my 14 yr old to help me out. :laugh:

Thanks for the help.
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have a windows phone, so I automatically have a GPS that just works with it. I've never really been an apple girl so I couldn't tell you about ipods :x sorry
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite app. I use it on my iphone 4s.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    In before the lock......
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This sounds like fun. I am doing the real life Zombie Run 5K this year too! What a perfect training tool for me.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've been running for over a year and just started using this app. I was getting too caught up in my head while running that I thought it would help me escape a little bit. It works! I end up relaxed after my run is over, while before I was ending more stressed than when I started.

I use it on my droid, the samsung galaxy note ii. Half of the time I don't bother with the zombie chases. I do my own speed intervals (mine increase in length) and I like to use it when I'm just out for an easy 3 to 5. I don't use it on my long day.