Eloping?

Options
aamberrr
aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
Sooo totally random, but I'm not really ready to announce my idea to my personal world and I'm wanting some opinions...

Has anyone here ever eloped? Or even considered it?

My fiance and I have been engaged for several years, and we are sooo ready to just go ahead and get married. I started the whole planning process... and found it completely overwhelming and super expensive.

I'm starting to toy with the idea of an elopement. I found a beeeauutiful hotel in a very scenic area, where we could get married and enjoy a very romantic/intimate suite for 3-4 days for about $1000.

I'm starting to think I just want the fun parts of the day: pretty dress, hair/makeup, marrying the man I love and getting some nice photos and cake. And then just enjoying our time together until we go back to the real world. Rather than scouring venues, trying to stay within a budget, looking for a caterer, worrying about who sits with whom and what my bridal party will wear, getting flowers that won't bankrupt us, etc., etc.

My drawback is, what if I do this and then feel like I regret not doing the "traditional" wedding? Anybody have personal insight? Did you elope or decide to go traditional? Pros/cons? Regrets? Anything? Thanks :)

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eloped, because her relatives did not approve of me at the time. Got a married at a courthouse in a nearby state. We've never had a traditional wedding, and it wouldn't have been financially feasible for some time afterwards.

We talked a few times about possibly doing a traditional wedding, but after 23 years of marriage it is rather low on our priority list. The biggest issue may be how other relatives handle the news.

Personally, I like the idea of just getting away for several days.
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My husband and I said that if we had it to do over again, we would get some great pics and go do some fun or cheesy elopement. My friend said eloping was the best thing she ever did.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If I get married again, I will elope. You can always have a party to celebrate with friends and family, afterwards.
  • Healthytobex2
    Options
    I eloped i supposed although i don't like the sound of that word. I am from Canada and my husband is British and we both live here in the U.K....I wanted a wedding at first in Canada but basically important relatives couldn't come, relatives do not like eachother and then it hit me it was our wedding not there's. The other option was the U.K. we looked and looked and a fairly basic decent wedding here was 10 grand alone. Also you can never rely on the weather here, we knew we wanted to go to the Bahamas for our honeymoon so we looked at Sandals and went off and got married in March of this year. We did not tell anyone till after and rung them to let them know that we had gotten married they were shocked and a little upset at first but we knew we had done the best thing for us. Afterall a wedding is about the two people getting married and I think people forget that. I am not an overly showy person but it was the most amazing day, no stress at all was treated like a goddess and was just so happy to be officially be married. If you have any questions for me you can ask me most of my friends became quite jealous after they heard all about our wedding and saw our pictures saying how their wedding ended up all about their families and not what they wanted. Here is my wedding day album on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/alexandra.eldridge1/media_set?set=a.10151465080823280.1073741825.511298279&type=3
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would love to elope. I'm strongly inclined to do that for my wedding because I can't be bothered with all the extra additional hassle.
    We are thinking of the Caribbean. We might invite very close friends and immediate family and if they can't attend, we may just go ahead anyways.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eloped. My husband asked me and we ran off that night :) We did tell our immediate families first with a phone call from Vegas the morning of. Then just sent everyone else a wedding announcement after.

For us it worked out perfectly. I have never been the girl to dream of a wedding day, to me it always seemed pointless and like way too much work and money for one day. I will say though, if you were the girl dreaming of the wedding all your life, you will probably regret eloping.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I didn't elope. I almost did, but I ended up doing a courthouse marriage. After being in 10 weddings, I had absolutely no desire to plan and go through another one. I totally recommend a no muss no fuss marriage. It's totally true that you barely remember it. Besides, in my situation, it wasn't about having a wedding, it was about being married. Being together. All the fuss just wasn't us. We spent the money we saved on a beautiful honeymoon in Mackinac Island. THAT was all about us. For us, it was the right way to do it.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I eloped. Went to Fiji for three days. I had a great dress, hair, make-up, flowers, cake, champagne, etc, just no guests, no presents, no stress and very little expense. Our families were disappointed to miss out but I certainly enjoyed my day and haven't regretted it. Saving $30-40,000 is a major bonus too!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to toy with the idea of an elopement. I found a beeeauutiful hotel in a very scenic area, where we could get married and enjoy a very romantic/intimate suite for 3-4 days for about $1000.

I'm starting to think I just want the fun parts of the day: pretty dress, hair/makeup, marrying the man I love and getting some nice photos and cake. And then just enjoying our time together until we go back to the real world. Rather than scouring venues, trying to stay within a budget, looking for a caterer, worrying about who sits with whom and what my bridal party will wear, getting flowers that won't bankrupt us, etc., etc.

i'm not a big proponent of marriage in general, but if it were me what you describe in what i quoted sounds much better than a traditional wedding. seems like it would be a much more pleasant experience.

in any case, good luck and congrats!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm in no position to get married right now but as I get older the idea of eloping definitely becomes increasingly appealing. I would probably still want a family bash to celebrate upon return but I think it would be nice to be able to have a relaxed party without all the formalities, stress and expense.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I hate a ton of attention on me especially while wearing a dress because I can't stand them usually, so my husband and I just went to the courthouse, called up immediate family and went for it!!! A lot of friends and family were upset, but you know what? They are not the ones paying for it, so I don't feel bad, but we do just plan on having a "reception" for our 1 year anniversary, but we aren't doing a wedding, just a reception so everyone can have fun and get together.
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In 1971, my second husband and I eloped. From Washington state, we drove to Las Vegas and did the wedding chapel thing. My first wedding was all the bells and whistles and I was never that kind of girl. My future mother-in-law insisted we have a big wedding. I hated every minute. I had a small family and they had a huge family, so there I was under the scrutiny of a hoard of strangers.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Well, you only get one wedding (unless, of course, you divorce or something), so do it the way you want. If eloping feels right for you and you have an awesome place in mind that is meaningful to you and fiancé, then go for it!

You could have a BBQ to celebrate when you return. Check out The Knot wedding boards for tips for planning a smooth and easy elopement. I love that website. I'm planning my own wedding for next summer too!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I eloped--my husband and I got married at San Francisco's City Hall, which is an absolutely stunning building. We each had a few friends there at the wedding, and then had a little party at a restaurant after. We stayed in SF for another couple months (yes, months) for our honeymoon. It was glorious--we ate amazing food, had a beautiful view of the city and GG bridge from our apartment, rode the street cars and walked everywhere. Very lovely!

I'm not into the big fussy traditional wedding thing--too much of a headache, and I'd rather spend all the dough doing fun stuff.
  • CraigIs4Me
    CraigIs4Me Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm engaged right now and getting married to my best friend in October. We have been in and out of each other's life since we were sixteen...I turned 50 this year. We toyed with the idea of eloping, but felt it might hurt his mom and dad. They only live 6 block s from us. We also didn't want the huge wedding expense...so we have having a small back yard wedding...simple elegant and fun. Less than 20 people...and then a small honeymoon for a week. We are still discussing where we are going. We had many set backs this year...with the money pit. We purchased a home a little over a year ago. Truthfully even if we could afford the huge wedding anymore I'm not sure it is our thing. As for eloping...I did that with my first wedding over 30 years ago....if its to somewhere like Vegas...I wouldn't ...it took less than 5 minutes from the license to "I do". You and the one you love may get lost in the masses. But there are so many small charming venues if you look that you can have what is truly important....you and the person you love...after all everything else is window dressing....and window dressing is very expensive. Good luck on making your decision.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Having had a traditional wedding the first time and eloping to the courthouse the second time, I have to say I so enjoyed the second so much more! No fuss or stress! Just celebrating and enjoying what's really important. Good luck and congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • alexie97
    alexie97 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    although the experience isn't so personal, my uncle and his wife (who i am really good friends with) decided to elope. They also counted it as their honeymoon since the took a cruise to the carribean, got married in Key West by the captain before departure and then enjoyed a week of vacation. They both say that if they had to they would do it again because wedding planning was causing her lots of stress especially since members of are family live all over the world and basically their wedding needed to be about them.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Having had two weddings (don't judge!), I would elope. My first wedding was the big show. It was expensive and obnoxious and I vowed not to do it again with my current husband. But my current husband was never married before so I let him decide what we were going to do. He wanted a wedding. He wanted his family and friends to be there so I said ok. However, we had a tight budget and already had a kid (and mine from marriage #1) so we were not going the traditional route. We pulled a Joey Tribiani and ordained my aunt online; she married us; it was free. We got married in an old castle in a public park; it was free. I got my dress on eBay for $180, custom made from China and it was beautiful. My husband is in the military and wore his dress uniform; again, free. We had a catered dinner for our close family and friends; not free, but not nearly what we would've paid at a hall. We had a great time and 8 years later, I wouldn't change a thing.

Whatever you decide, make sure it's for you and no one else! At the end of the day the end result is the same: you're married!
  • c_flygirl
    c_flygirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My sister got married in Tobago with parents and siblings and both her and her husband took their 2 closest friends. It was beautiful and relaxed and everything that a traditional stressy wedding isnt. My brother eloped and he and his wife took one friend each with them, no family. None of us minded at all. Weddings are and should be about the couple getting married and neither my sister or brother regret eloping. In fact, when it comes my time I will definately be following suit! Good luck x
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Elope, then maybe have something for friends and family in someone's backyard?

We have friends who went to the courthouse one afternoon and got married. That was about a month or two ago. Yesterday, they had a "ceremony" officiated by a friend (technically, my friends were already married at this point) so that everyone else could be a part of their "big day."

It was very casual, in someone's backyard. They rented a tent and chairs and served simple foods, like chips and dip, a crudite tray, and a fruit and cheese platter. I think they got a keg and some soda from the supermarket. If I had to guess, the food and beverages probably came to less than $300. They had a friend take pictures and I think another friend might've made the cake. (Although some supermarkets do an AMAZING job with buttercream frosting...)

It was nice, because it gave everyone a chance to come together and celebrate. It also gave people the chance to give gifts to the couple, if that kind of thing matters to you. :)