Proteins and Fats

Options
Scaluni
Scaluni Posts: 16 Member
Hi all! I'm trying to up my proteins and fats while lowering my carbs. My questions are:

(1) What's a good proportion of carbs, fats, and protein? I generally eat 45%ish carbs...
(2) What foods are good to increase fats and proteins?
(3) What foods should I remove to lower my carbs (please check my diary for the past week or two)?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    1. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Nuts, nut butters, avocados, full fat cheese, etc. are all good ways to increase dietary fat.

3. I'd remove the carb-heavy snacks. Cheez-its, cookies, pringles, lots of bread. You don't have to cut them out, but I would cut back if you are trying to hit a lower carb macro.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I thought this said protein and farts and I had a whole bunch of things to say.

But the first reply you got seems reasonable.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Protein - 0.82g per pound of body weight

Fat - 0.4g per pound of body weight

Carbs - Remaining calories
  • Scaluni
    Scaluni Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I'm getting 198g of protein, 96.4g of fat to put me at 1563 calories, so that leaves me with 427 calories of carbs. Isn't that a bit steep? That does put me at ~40% protein, 39% fats, and 21% carbs. How is that sustainable?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

I'm getting 198g of protein, 96.4g of fat to put me at 1563 calories, so that leaves me with 427 calories of carbs. Isn't that a bit steep? That does put me at ~40% protein, 39% fats, and 21% carbs. How is that sustainable?

Use your lean body mass, not total body weight for the calculations. For example, I am 195 lbs with 20% body fat, so my lean body mass is 195 x (1-0.2) = 156 lbs. 156 x 0.82 = 128 g, and I actually shoot for about 150 g. It breaks down into roughly 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat for me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This is sort of a hot topic but protein intake recommendations vary slightly and leanness, state of energy balance, age, training experience all play a role.

Regarding your above numbers, the unsustainable part is not the protein/carb balance as much as it's the energy intake you're sitting at.

If I were in your position and assuming you are using a food scale to accurately track intake (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think) I would set your intake as follows for a couple of weeks and monitor progress from there:

Calories: 2000
    Protein: 180g
    Fat: 70g
    Carbs: 160g

Please note a few things:

1) This was a quick estimate on my part.
    2) However, where you START isn't nearly as important as how accurately you track intake and how you adjust to the results. You are trying to narrow it down to a reasonable intake range, you are not trying to hit a bullseye right from the beginning.
    3) Do not neglect the bold above. If you are not currently using a food scale and tracking meticulously my above suggestion could be horrendous as those 2000 calories could really be 3000 calories.
  • natwallace94
    natwallace94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The best percentages I've found!

The 60/35/5 rule

60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.

I am low carbing and I have Beef probably 3 times a week for dinner, chicken and sometimes tacos with tomateos, cheese, lettuce and plain cooked mince :)

When I have tomateos and cucumbers though, I have VERY little. Meaning under 50grams.
    And for breakfast I have scrambled eggs with bacon OR one slice of WHOLEMEAL toast with one serving of 50% less sugar strawberry jam.