Ignoring BMI

Options
13»

Replies

• chesao
    chesao Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know that this thread is ten days old, but rather than starting a new one specifically for my needs, I just want to throw my issue with BMI into here. Roughly 6% of my weight can be accounted for by my breasts. On top of that, I don't really tend to lose much breast weight, as I simply have a lot of breast tissue (I mean, there's obviously fat there, but my breasts are quite dense). If I calculate my BMI without including my breast weight (which I calculate through water displacement, for those curious), it drops almost two points. I don't necessarily hate BMI or think that it's a crock, I just think that it's not only athletes, who are more than two standard deviations away from the norm. Whether I'm correct in that assumption, I don't know, but obsessing over BMI just doesn't work for me.

PS - boobies. :flowerforyou:
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    And when you have all finished with BMI... what about skinfold calipers?

I was told something by a Professor and have never been able to ascertain just how much of his story was true and how much was to make a point about such measures.

Does anyone have any proper info on how they came about? Info that does not originate with the manufacturers?
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    <
    I'm "BMI Overweight" and apparently need to lose 8 pounds to get to normal. :) Take nothing as an absolute in fitness. When in doubt, workout more and eat cleaner.