Snacks, what to eat?

Options
Hi

I'm new to eating healthy and checking content of food I eat. I've always eaten whatever I want when I want without worrying about my weight but the past year I have been putting weight on so it's time for a change.

What snacks can I eat that are low in sugar and salt? I don't like nuts and I'd prefer not to eat protein bars.

Today I've had 50g of cottage cheese and chives with a couple of 7inch carrots. But little did I know carrots have quite high sugar and cottage cheese has high salt.

Thanks
Ryan

Replies

• natwallace94
    natwallace94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Before I started low carbing and was eating relatively healthy and maintaining the same weight, my snacks would usually consist of -
    Wholemeal saladas
    Wholemeal toast with marg. or 50% less sugar strawberry jam
    Cheddar cheese cubes with salami
    Garden salads with cheese (Lettuce, tomato, carrot, cheese)
    Orrr my favorite, bananas!
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    im sure you've already heard of this but cut up nice big chunks of apples, and spread some peanut butter on them, it taste great and its very healthy! Of corse buy some good peanut butter, like organic and only use about 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter(which equals one serving).... also have you ever heard of veggie straws? AND dont worry about the sugar from fruits and veggies, its all natural so your body knows how to get rid of it EAT AS MANY FRUITS AND VEGGIES AS YOU CAN!! <3
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I have recently fallen head over heals for sliced cucumbers with hummus spread on them.

Yum Yum.
  • lorimodly
    lorimodly Posts: 1
    Options
    I love the Wasa flat bread (like a cracker but full of fiber and goodness) spread with Laughing Cow Cheese (the lowfat variety). That stuff is awesome and comes in a large variety of flavors (I like original and Chipotle the best). It's also good with veggies :) Another way I love to eat it is: Wasa bread, top with wedge of light swiss laughing cow, fresh salsa on top. Yummm!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love eating yoghurt, cheese and crackers, salads are always a nice choice. :) I eat a lot of fruit as snacks. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm new to eating healthy and checking content of food I eat. I've always eaten whatever I want when I want without worrying about my weight but the past year I have been putting weight on so it's time for a change.

What snacks can I eat that are low in sugar and salt? I don't like nuts and I'd prefer not to eat protein bars.

Today I've had 50g of cottage cheese and chives with a couple of 7inch carrots. But little did I know carrots have quite high sugar and cottage cheese has high salt.

Thanks
    Ryan

Do you have some kind of medical condition for which you need to be watching sugar...especially naturally occuring sugars in fruits and vegetables? Unless you have some kind of medical condition that warrants this, you're really doing yourself a disservice and I can guarantee a tough go of this.

Fruit has sugar too...and all kinds of vitamins and minerals and fiber and antioxidants, etc. Sugar isn't the devil. Hit your macros (carbs/protein/fat)...hit those numbers and your calorie goal. Get your nutrition on and your fitness on and enjoy your success.

My snacks are generally some kind of fruit...I have about 3 servings of fruit per day. Usually some berries for AM, cherries for lunch desert, and a nectarine/peach/apple for afternoon. It's too bad you don't like nuts...they are little nutrition power houses...
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have recently fallen head over heals for sliced cucumbers with hummus spread on them.

Yum Yum.

That sounds amazing

ETA: I forgot to put my healthy snacks. I eat fruits (the sugars in fruit don't matter a ton, unless as someone stated, you have a medical condition), veggies, hummus, greek yogurt (this took me a few tries before I didn't hate the texture), and peanut or almond butter. I also eat oatmeal with less sugar dried cranberries, almonds and walnuts mixed in, as I'm not a super fan of eating nuts raw.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I love munching on veggies, nuts, smoked fish, eggs, bananas, nectarines, melon, apple, and basically all clean healthy foods that you don't have to cook. Those are the healthiest. Whenever I fall off the wagon and eat a lot of processed foods, jumping back on the wagon always involves cutting out all the processed stuff and eating only the types of foods I just mentioned.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I generally snack on fruit or dried fruit. Generally good for five or six pieces a day; apples, pears, oranges, berries. I usually carry dried fruit in my briefcase for mid afternoon, either mixed berries, figs, apricot, prunes or dates.

They're all quite calorie rich so fill the gap quite nicely, and as they're full of fibre they help digestive health.
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fruit, raw veggies, rice cakes, greek yogurt like Fage, string cheese are some ideas. If you decide to go the nut route, Raw Walnuts and Raw Almonds are good choices (no sodium or additives). check out www.hungry-girl.com for some ideas