Exercise routine and weights

Options
I am quite new to exercise. I have lost over 2st just using a calorie deficit. When I noticed the weight had stopped dropping I added some exercise into my routine. I am currently doing 20 mins of Zumba and 20-30 mins strength training. I am using 1kg dumb bells at the moment. I have noticed a real change in my body shape since starting this routine but I am asking for advice on how and when to start increasing the weight I use for my exercises.

Replies

• russbittles
    Options
    Try increasing the number of repetitions by 5 per set, until they become too easy. Then increase the weight, and reduce the number of reps per set back to the original number. Pay attention to how your body feels after you increase the weight. You don't want to injure yourself by trying to do too much, too soon.
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    Thanks for the info. At any point do I stop increasing the weight size or as soon as it feels easy keep increasing?
  • russbittles
    Options
    I'm not so much an expert there, but I would say that at some point, you'll want to be doing maintenance, so instead of increasing weight, you'll likely be at a place where you're happy with the shape and structure of your body. Play with it a little bit. There are plenty of resources on MFP and the rest of the internet that can provide you with good information.
  • LWHershey
    LWHershey Posts: 6
    Options
    At 66 I am 22 months into reconditioning, having lost 25% body weight in fat and added new lean muscle of 3-5%. I keep an exercise log and use group sessions at a good sports club which run 1 hour and give me the techniques and variety that is useful
    for keeping me on track. I do not use a "fixed routine" but insure I exercise -- even a modest 30-45 minute walk -- 6 days per week. Even the off day has light walks. Strengthening is included; occasional yoga; some rigorous cardio. For me, "variety" is essential.
  • russbittles
    Options
    At 66 I am 22 months into reconditioning, having lost 25% body weight in fat and added new lean muscle of 3-5%. I keep an exercise log and use group sessions at a good sports club which run 1 hour and give me the techniques and variety that is useful
    for keeping me on track. I do not use a "fixed routine" but insure I exercise -- even a modest 30-45 minute walk -- 6 days per week. Even the off day has light walks. Strengthening is included; occasional yoga; some rigorous cardio. For me, "variety" is essential.

Good for you! I try to get in a 6.2 mile walk every day, and weight lifting at the gym 3 times per week. I'm mostly trying to lean out my body and tone and strengthen my muscles, so I can eventually look like my profile picture! The abs are going to be the toughest part for me! :laugh:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Check this site out. It will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    Check this site out. It will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/

Thanks for that it was very helpful