Protein Shakes vs. Meal Replacements

Options
NeilATL
NeilATL Posts: 38 Member
I noticed after I started cutting carbs and increasing my protein, I finally broke through a six-week plateau that I was dealing with. I don't know very much about these protein shakes, other than the obvious (they have protein). The Special K shakes that I have are 190 calories each.

Is there any difference between a protein shake and a meal replacement shake? If so, please educate me and offer recommendations. Thanks!

Replies

• cevans8065
    Options
    I make this for breakfast instead of having a high calorie cereal:
    Cinnamon roll protein shake
    1 cup skim milk
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

It tastes exactly like cinnamon rolls!
    There is nothing wrong with have a shake instead of a meal because you still get your nutrients. If you go to the gym in the morning try having the shake before you go.
  • NeilATL
    NeilATL Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Cinnamon Roll recipe! I will certainly give it a try.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am 66 years old and I do not work out because of health issues.

Can you get too much protein, I have read that you can and your kidney cannot dispel it.
    I have tried the Special K shakes.

Would like to try the protein powder but don't know if it would be good for me, since I do not exercise much.
    I walk 30 mins a day.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    QUEST BARS!!! OMG i can not even tell you how much i love them! They have 20g of protein, 17g of fiber and only 2g net carbs for the strawberry cheesecake flavor. I also love muscle milk :drinker: .
    I think the difference is that a meal replacement shake is going to have the average meal sized portion of carbs in it. That is why i stick to protein bars and shakes instead!

Edit: You can buy them at any GNC of vitamin shop and they are worth it!
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the protein shake recipe. I usually stick with protein bars for breakfast (I'm so not a breakfast person). Will definitely give that a try. :)

OMG!! YES!! Quest bars are the BEST!! My favorite is the Apple Pie. But I like the others too. Even the chocolate chip (those have 21g protein)
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    In my view, a meal replacement shake will have a greater number of calories and potentially will cover other nutrients, especially micronutrients. A protein shake may not have enough calories to replace a meal, as its ingredients are focused on delivering protein. For example, I make a protein shake that is basically just almond milk, whey protein powder, and ice, but to bump it up to a meal replacement, I might chuck in 1/4 cup dry oatmeal, peanut butter, half a frozen banana and flax or something to add carbs, fiber and fat.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    I am 66 years old and I do not work out because of health issues.

Can you get too much protein, I have read that you can and your kidney cannot dispel it.
    I have tried the Special K shakes.

Would like to try the protein powder but don't know if it would be good for me, since I do not exercise much.
    I walk 30 mins a day.

To get too much protein you would need to eat over 1g of protein per pound of body weight model. So say i way 115lbs then a healthy protein range would be between 105-125g a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes usually just deal in protein (whey, soy). Meal replacements usually have more fiber and carbs in them and consequently usually higher calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sav3175
    sav3175 Posts: 47
    Options
    I drink shakeology as a meal replacement and it has helped me with my weight loss it depends on if u were using the protein shakes to replace meals cuz then u weren't getting enough nutrients. meal replacement shakes have more to it cuz its designed to replace a meal. Also i would be careful with special K because of the sugar content and the added chemicals
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate for me,, I use ON Gold Standard
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake as all or part of my breakfast every day. I'm pretty small so if I'm not running super-long distances, it can be enough for the start of the day. I use Alive Pea Protein -- it's not only got the protein, but all sorts of vitamins, minerals, and other awesome stuff in it. All I have to add to my daily routine is some collagen powder for my joints I like and a calcium. When I get up to longer runs and am burning too many calories, I can add other foods to the shake or just have something along with it.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, don't exercise much and I drink a protein shake at least a couple times a day. I use the whey isolate protein powder, either chocolate or vanilla. The isolate is better for you and has less calories, fat, ect. I mix it with Silk almond milk (35 calorie Silk) and you can't tell the difference. It's delicious. It helps put something on my stomach so I don't eat as much. Thanks for the cinnamon recipe, that sounds fantastic. I will certainly try it!!
  • rainavsfood
    rainavsfood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology daily & I think it enhanced my results & gives me MUCH added energy! I swear by the drink! Plus it's the only one on the market that is non-GMO, has no chemicals, no artificial sweeteners, & isn't pumped with synthetic vitamins!