Lunch at college?

kriegs86
kriegs86 Posts: 41
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hey fellow students! I need help coming up with a healthy option to carry into class. I’m in back to back classes from 8:00am to 2:00pm. I’ve tried planning ahead and bringing bars in my laptop case but I’m tired of them. I love nuts so I often just buy a bag of peanuts for lunch but the fat content is pretty high. The school sells salads but the lettuce is brown and the quality is horrible. I’d like to carry in fruit but apples are too bulky and bananas squish… Anyone have a great option I’m not thinking about or am I just too picky? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'd recommend finding a hard-cased lunchbox you can bring with you to help protect squishy things. :laugh: Things like fresh-cut veggies are quick and easy to pack (baby carrots, celery, cucumber slices) - and they're not too messy. I'd recommend cooking a protein at the beginning of the week and pre-portioning it so you can grab and go. My favorite is chicken breasts. I also will make home-made veggie burgers or seitan (a vegetarian protein). They're not too messy either, and easy to eat on the go. With a hard-cased lunchbox you could bring fruit like bananas. Nuts are good, but you definitely want a more well-rounded lunch!

Most of all - keep experimenting, and don't be afriad to try different things.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I ADORE the gladware containers. I have some smaller ones that are the perfect size for a sandwich. Just make it the night before, throw it in the container to keep it fresh, and toss it in your bag. It won't get squished and you have a healthy lunch. I buy multigrain sandwich thins so it's only 100 calories of bread. And they're round so they fit in the container perfectly... lol. You can throw anything in the containers, some sliced apples or strawberries. I also love the Kashi TLC bars. They are 140 calories, good source of protein and fiber, and quite delicious. I keep those in my desk.
  • Hi there! As a fellow college student over the last year, I feel your burden..my classes go from 10:00am - 3:30pm each day next quarter so i'll have to pack small things to eat/snack in.

If you want something solid for a lunch, chicken wraps made with small low-fat wheat tortillas (La Tortilla Factory makes some good ones) and chopped-up chicken breast are always great. You can chop up different veggies to put in them (along with a little sauce) and it generally fills you up pretty good without taking up a lot of room in your bag.

Also, I see that you like fruit too. Chop up a few different kinds and make a small fruit salad that you can fit into a tiny container instead of bringing an entire fruit that might get squished in your books. :)

Instead of peanuts too, try almonds. They are a better snacking nut and they'll fill you up pretty fast.

Hope these suggestions help you!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    If you are eating in class you want to avoid anything crunchy...because everyone looks at you lol...at least that is what happens to me!

I tend to pack yogurt, applesauce (in one serving containers), bananas (i have a banana container-not too expensive to buy and very useful), and bagels with creamcheese. Crackers and cheese also transport very well and don't take up alot of space.
  • Wow, this brings me back! :bigsmile:

I agree, you dont want to by muching and disturbing everyone, so those Kashi bars sound great! Also, if you can add protein, such as almond butter as a dip for the fruit, it packs a punch and you dont need much. If you can possibly go to Costco, it is super cheap and almond butter is amazing for you!

sandwiches are great too, and you can add lots of good stuff, but I know $$$ are an issue for students, :sad: so shop at farmers markets/independent veggie stores when you can as the supermarkets GOUGE you for their produce. :noway:

All in all, it boils down to planning, which I think everyone on this site has to do to be successful, you just have more on your plate (figuratively, of course) than most of us :bigsmile:

What you are doing is amazing, so...hang in and when you are stuck, we are here to help out:flowerforyou:

1545205.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
This discussion has been closed.