Kombucha or Water kefir.

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
both are fermented probiotic drinks.

Do probiotics speed up the metabolism as suggested on the interweb? looking for the science,

Has anyone had good results using either in weight loss?

Replies

• margebouvierx2
    Options
    I Don't like water kefir and not got into kombucha but I have been making my own milk kefir for a couple of years and got my mum into it too, she had high cholesterol, she started drinking a glass of her own home made milk kefir daily and her cholesterol went right down to a normal range and every cholesterol test since has been way down in normal range. The taking of the kefir is the only thing she did differently so we are pretty confident its the kefir working its charm!
    Sorry doesn't answer your question but I think the health benefits of milk kefir are many and something I will always drink daily, plus it tastes delicious.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a pretty big controversy online regarding the health benefits of these fermented beverages. Science has yet to prove one way or the other about the benefits or lack thereof. With milk products such as kefir, yogurt, filmjolk, health benefits are pretty well recorded. They contain the protein and calcium of milk, and the milk sugars that give many people stomach problems are already pre-digested by the culture.

I make/drink kombucha. When I'm drinking it regularly, i do seem to have higher energy (and I can't blame the caffiene in the tea: i drink regular tea and coffee all day long). I have friends that swear by it as a hangover cure. I enjoy it, and seem to be in decent health so it probably isn't bad for me.

It doesn't seem to be helping me lose this last few pounds at all.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I culture my own milk kefir, yogurt, and buttermilk.
    I started losing weight consistently when I started consuming them daily. Which is also when I started eating lower carbs and began exercising.
    So, was the weight loss attributed to the probiotics or the healthy lifestyle changes... :blushing: