Recognizing others weight loss, but not your own

Options
I always seem to find myself looking at others, and being so impressed by any weight loss that I say things like, "WOW... your weight loss is awesome!" or, "you look great" BUT when I lose weight I'm always thinking things like, "you could have lost more" or "That didn't make much of a difference"

Is anyone else in the same boat? Loosing but not being proud of yourself for it?

:)

Replies

• MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time recognizing that I've lost weight just by looking at myself. However, I can notice the physical changes by feeling them. For some reason, I always tend to notice my fingers getting smaller. Probably because I fold my hands a lot. Or when I put on pants or shirts that I haven't been able to wear for a while. Or when I touch a certain part of my body, like my stomach, and it feels smaller. I tend to notice those changes a lot more than visible changes. I know I'm a very haptic and experiential kind of person, though, so that's why I think I'm like that.

It might help for you to take pictures of yourself as you hit certain milestones (like every 10th or 20th pound.) This will help you to compare and see how far you've come. Since you live with yourself everyday, and the changes happen gradually, they can be difficult to notice. However, if you capture a moment in time, you can always look back to it. If you already do this, sorry for the pointless suggestion :\
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time recognizing that I've lost weight just by looking at myself. However, I can notice the physical changes by feeling them. ...when I touch a certain part of my body, like my stomach, and it feels smaller. I tend to notice those changes a lot more than visible changes. I know I'm a very haptic and experiential kind of person, though, so that's why I think I'm like that.
    I've noticed the same thing! I'm a very visual person though, so I think it's just easier to feel the difference than see it.
  • MGwasp
    MGwasp Posts: 16
    Options
    Whenever I get discouraged, because the mirror is not yet showing what the scale does, I grab weights of similar amounts to what I have lost and climb stairs with them. That's all it really takes for me to congratulate myself on not having all that weight to carry around daily. It feels so good to just set that weight down.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Definitely. People will say things about how my loss is impressive and I'll just think, "Yeah, but I've got at least 40 more to go."
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I totally get that. I don't have that same dialog like I could have done better. Sometimes I think it didn't make much difference visually, but I really feel the difference and that's very important to me. Being able to turn in bed is a good thing, not struggling to get up a flight of stairs is another good thing, being able(even if it is just barely) to fit into clothes in regular stores is a good thing. It's just that it is really hard for me to impress myself. I tend to be more impressed by other people's efforts.
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time recognizing that I've lost weight just by looking at myself. However, I can notice the physical changes by feeling them. ...when I touch a certain part of my body, like my stomach, and it feels smaller. I tend to notice those changes a lot more than visible changes. I know I'm a very haptic and experiential kind of person, though, so that's why I think I'm like that.
    I've noticed the same thing! I'm a very visual person though, so I think it's just easier to feel the difference than see it.

That could be very true. Like I said, since you see yourself every day and your body only changes a little bit day by day, minor visual changes might be hard to catch. However, you can remember a lot better not being able to fit into a pair of pants from the last time you tried and removed them, defeated. So, yeah, you're probably right. It's probably just easier to feel the difference than it is to see it.