Kicking the Plateau?

Options
HI there everyone.

I normally don't post on the board. But I have been dealing with a plateau for a while.

Yes, I had a week where watching what I eating was less than par. But past that, I've been at the same weight for the last month. I've tried kicking up my activity. Nothing happens. I've been watching my food like a hawk. I see nothing there either.

I am trying to be positive about losing weight and am trying to focus on inches, but it's getting to be a real bummer.

In good news though, I am also going to bring this up to my personal trainer (which I am going to my second session this week.)

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• carollynch09
    carollynch09 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I just can't get rid of that 1 pound to put me in the 140's. I've kicked up my cardio. Im under my calories. augh! We'll get through this!!!
  • duckgirlpdx
    Options
    I hear you. I've been at the same weight, plus or minus a couple pounds, for weeks now. Starting to get frustrated. Trying to focus on the big picture, and the fact that I fit into a skirt I haven't worn in a year yesterday. Hang in there, we'll get through it somehow...
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I just recieved this link in my mailbox. Maybe any use?

http://goodfoodeating.com/2798/
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    A plateau is defined as 6 weeks or more of no weight change when CONSISTENT with diet. Anything less than that would be a stall.
    Stalls happen. The key is to stay consistent. Don't start changing a bunch of stuff around. Maybe a little higher intensity, but once you do that, you have to keep it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    A plateau is defined as 6 weeks or more of no weight change when CONSISTENT with diet. Anything less than that would be a stall.
    Stalls happen. The key is to stay consistent. Don't start changing a bunch of stuff around. Maybe a little higher intensity, but once you do that, you have to keep it up.

IDEA Fitness member

So what would you do different after 6 weeks?
  • MGwasp
    MGwasp Posts: 16
    Options
    I ended my plateau after realizing that I had kicked up exercise and I wasn't eating enough calories or carbs. I made sure to eat all of my calories and added healthy carbs after a workout. Everyone is different but that worked for me.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, ive been stuck for the past 10 weeks. Frustrating. Last week i raised my calories a bit, maybe something will give.
  • BiddyKay
    BiddyKay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been at the same weight (with a pound or two difference in either direction) for the last ~5 weeks.
    I ended my plateau after realizing that I had kicked up exercise and I wasn't eating enough calories or carbs. I made sure to eat all of my calories and added healthy carbs after a workout. Everyone is different but that worked for me.

I might look into this, because I burn at least ~400 calories in a work out. (on top of the 500-1000 calories I am already cutting, depending on the day) I think it doesn't help that I am also not feeling as hungry as I used to be, which might be keeping my calroies too low, even though I don't feel hungry at all. :( Thank you mentioning this though. :)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    How much calories do you eat a day? When this is too low it will stall your weight loss as well. The body gets in the saving mode and shuts down functions.
  • BiddyKay
    BiddyKay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How much calories do you eat a day? When this is too low it will stall your weight loss as well. The body gets in the saving mode and shuts down functions.

I eat around 1600-1800 on most days. (1600 being for 2lbs lost per week). This is even on work out days too.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^This was incredibly helpful to me. I was feeling like with a lot to lose I should be losing faster. The point is I'm losing, and I should be happy about it! Not beating myself up...Thanks...:flowerforyou:
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    When this (a stall) happens to me, I take a big dose of F*^k it.. I just keep plugging along, add some more strength training and it eventually comes off.... a journey of a thousand miles starts with 1 step Good Luck!!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    these are somethings ive read on fitness mag this month on this topic:

-You dont drink enough water, we should drink at least half our body weight and a bit more if you eat a lot of fiber.
    -You skimp on protein,depends on weight but most women should get 40-80g.
    -Your numbers are off, check your BMR
    -You sit at a desk all day?, need to get up more often
    -You work out regularly, makes you retain water (super hydration) here they advice to just keep doing your thing and staying off scale.
    -Your a stress case, cortisol problems causing slow metabolism

weigh in monthly or longer to see a change. good luck!
  • norcaligirl72
    norcaligirl72 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When this (a stall) happens to me, I take a big dose of F*^k it.. I just keep plugging along, add some more strength training and it eventually comes off.... a journey of a thousand miles starts with 1 step Good Luck!!

Yep... I love this attitude... You just have to keep plugging away and remember this is a life long process. It's about finding a healthy balance.
  • src75
    src75 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ive just moved into the plateau stage after 2 months of no loss. I cant really say Im frustrated yet because I still seem to be getting results with whats in the mirror. My major problem is that most of what I've lost so far has come from eating well and not exercising regularly other than what I do at work every day (a lot of stairs, carrying around heavy equipment. etc). I think Im ready to bite the bullet and start running. =O