Pregnant and Staying Fit? Help please!

Options
Oh boy, the happy day is almost here -- the day I go off birth control and start trying to have one of those a baby things. I know you shouldn't try to lose weight while you're pregnant, but I do want to keep working out and staying healthy, both for me and the baby-to-be.

Anyone out there have some experience/knowledge/opinions/advice about this? I'd love to hear it.

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bumping. :)
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Carry on as normal. But listen to your body. By the third trimester slow it down a bit although you probably won't feel up to your normal routine then :)
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me when I was pregnant I could pretty much continue what I did before I was pregnant. Everybody is different however so make sure you check.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just take each day as it comes. I had baby number two 5 weeks ago. Before I got pregnant I was going to the gym 4 times a week, into my fitness and healthy eating. The tiredness you feel in the first trimester is like nothing you've ever felt. I literally didn't have it in me to carry on exercising like I was. Plus with the nausea, jumping up and down at the gym might not be possible. You could be absolutely fine and not have any symptoms and carry on as you were. Or you can be like me and plan to carry on like you were and end up thoroughly disappointed as all you can stomach is carbs (like an entire loaf of bread(and butter)) and barely have the energy to go to the shops! I put on about 50lbs. I didn't eat that badly, but I did eat a lot. I've already lost 30 of those lbs and have been eating healthily since she was born, so if you're dedicated you can bounce back quickly. Just go in to it with an open mind. I suffered with sciatica from 9 weeks, spd from 21 weeks, then my pelvis rotated out of joint, so even if mentally I felt ok to exercise, physically it was impossible!
    Good luck with it all. Don't push yourself. Don't delude yourself. Don't give up. Just take it day by day x
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I was told not to diet while pregnant *like you have said* but you can and should be active unless your doctor says not to be.
    I gained around 25lbs in all and that was because I was not overdoing it. You don't have to eat for two, I think that is just an excuse to go overboard.
  • sweetgal2301
    sweetgal2301 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started following this lady called Kimberly Snyder. She does not have a pregnancy plan. However she has a fantastic plan/food lifestyle that can agree with anyone. It is an organic raw and cooked food lifestyle and I lost 25 pounds on this lifestyle. I was not sure about getting into it because I used to love pizza and chips. But the more I drink her green smoothie, the more I crave vegetables now ..... maybe this could be something to try?? If you need any help I can help/guide of course. You can google her and she has a lot of things available and also two books with fantastic recipes.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    Join our Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant group on MFP! Great support from other ladies staying fit and healthy during our pregnancies!