Hard time figuring out amount of calories to eat

Options
I work out for an hour or so about 6 days a week. Each day I do 30 mins of cardio and 30 strength training (sometimes I do an all cardio day here and there) my main strength training routine is switched up every 4 weeks (I do this routine 3-4 days a week) then my other one changes each time (I do this one 2 days a week). I change my cardio machine each time as well.

I did TDEE -20% for 7 weeks and gained at first then went to normal. I have not lost weight on the scale at all over the past 4 months but lost inches. I'd say overall I have about 3 inches to go until I am happy. (Flat stomach and revealing abs, thigh gap, and very little fat on arms)

Right now I average of 1500-1600 calories a day and burn around 300-400 calories on days I workout.
I have a protein bar after working out and try and drink tons of water throughout the day. Overall I eat clean (some days there's some things that aren't....like yesterday my husband really wanted hot dogs.) but in general we cook every meal and eat clean.

What can I do to keep losing that last bit of fat? I eat 6 or 7 times a day even.
I think I have hit the hard part to lose!!

I weigh about 147 and am 5 feet 1.75 inches tall.
Thigh measurement: 24 inches
Waist: 31.5 inches
Hips: 37 inches

Replies

• jimithegreek
    Options
    Sounds like your TDEE is around 2275 so taking 20% from that, calories would be around 1820. If you are eating 1600, that would be fine. Are you sure of what you are eating (weighing the food) or are you guessing? You'd be suprised somethimes how off you can be when not weighing the food.
  • melissadsims
    melissadsims Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I measure my food, and since I cook all the time I can also visually see exactly the measurement. (Trust me, I'm in the kitchen all the time and know my measurements) but I don't have a food scale.

I occasionally can go up to around 1800 but that's only if I've had a beer or its a special occasion. Actually 4th of July weekend I had a lot to drink and didn't eat the best, and lost 3 lbs. but I gained it back the next week and stayed e same since.

I just am dying to get these last few inches off!
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd keep doing what you are doing and be patient. Try to eat high protein, which I noticed you do most of the time, and when you do your cardio, maybe incorporate some HIIT, which is good for burning fat. Best of luck and congrats on your success thus far.
  • melissadsims
    melissadsims Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been very pleased with the results so far!
    When you say HIIT, what would that look like if I do things like ellipticals, stair climbers, etc? Short bursts of fast and then some slower?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing everything right... BUT I'd get a food scale. Sometimes even 2/3 of a cup is more than a 2/3 cup serving. It's a $20 investment that is totally worth it.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Yes....google it and get some ideas. Maybe do 20 min HIIT, for example, on the elliptical where you go hard as you can for 30 sec, then normal for a minute, then hard as you can for 30 sec, then normal for a min.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    melissadsims, I'm in the exact same predicament you are! 5'4" 150 weight, won't budge but pants sizes go down. lots of muscle, but still flab in upper things/stomach area. i eat 1600 also. cardio and strength training a few times a week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food, but I measure my food, and since I cook all the time I can also visually see exactly the measurement. (Trust me, I'm in the kitchen all the time and know my measurements) but I don't have a food scale.

I occasionally can go up to around 1800 but that's only if I've had a beer or its a special occasion. Actually 4th of July weekend I had a lot to drink and didn't eat the best, and lost 3 lbs. but I gained it back the next week and stayed e same since.

I just am dying to get these last few inches off!

get a food scale ..you would be surprised how wrong eyeballing food portions can be....