Lets all calm down now....

Options
2»

Replies

• baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Very true :) Focus on what you are eating, not everyone else, and you will find happiness!
    if everyone followed what u said there would be no forums, no mfp. where is the joy in that? lol
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I do what I think works for me. Others do what works for them. I quit eating meat for personal reasons. My husband loves meat. Do I try to change him? No. Does he try to change me? No. We accept each other for who we are, individuals, and carry on.

I cant agree more:flowerforyou:
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    Very true :) Focus on what you are eating, not everyone else, and you will find happiness!
    if everyone followed what u said there would be no forums, no mfp. where is the joy in that? lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think the debates (fights) are funny. Occasionally I will find a little nugget of information in them, that works for my goals and objectives.

Carry on people, mud slinging optional, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The only time anyone really cares...

1) when someone says they're "eating clean" or veggie or vegan or whatever and claiming they're not losing any weight People will chime in and tell the poster that clean/dirty/whatever has nothing to do with it. There's no magic to "eating clean"...it's sill the laws of thermodynamics. But it gets pretty heated because often the poster ignores good, sound advice and just insists they're doing everything right because they're simply eating a certain way

2) when someone asks for advice in RE to "should I eat ______way?" Again, you're going to have a lot of different opinions and a whole lot of people essentially saying that it doesn't matter....again, laws of thermodynamics.

3) when people are being so restrictive with their diets that trying to conform to "clean eating" or whatever it may be that they're miserable. You're again going to get a lot of IIFYM folks and others saying, "it doesn't matter"...stay within your calorie goal and hit your macros.

4) self righteous proclamations.

It's stuff like this that gets the debates going...otherwise nobody cares.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    This would all be resolved if everyone just listened to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not really a proponent of either clean eating or IFFYM ...but I probably do more IFFYM but that is just how it works out..

However, I believe what some are taking issue with is when the clean eating types say that is the ONLY way to lose weight, be shredded, get to your goals, etc....

On the flip side, the clean eaters take issue with some who say you can pretty much eat pop tarts and ice cream all day and still get to your goals..but then the IFFYM folks come in and say that is not IFFYM....

thus, the never ending circular firing squad perpetuates itself...

I say do what works for you ..

but the threads are for debating, so why does it bother you that they debate it?????

If I may ask a noob question I guess, what is IFFYM please?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

ok just in to say i LOVE your profile pic!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I am not really a proponent of either clean eating or IFFYM ...but I probably do more IFFYM but that is just how it works out..

However, I believe what some are taking issue with is when the clean eating types say that is the ONLY way to lose weight, be shredded, get to your goals, etc....

On the flip side, the clean eaters take issue with some who say you can pretty much eat pop tarts and ice cream all day and still get to your goals..but then the IFFYM folks come in and say that is not IFFYM....

but the threads are for debating, so why does it bother you that they debate it?????
    Also, I find these differing opinions to be very educational. When I first started on MFP, I thought "clean" eating was the only way I could successfully lose weight. Learning that weight loss is pretty much ALL about calorie deficit, was a revelation and it saved me from falling off the diet wagon from deprivation. It's all a learning process and the more debating... the better!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i have no idea with IFFYM is...

...however IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

i have no idea with IFFYM is...

...however IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros.

whoops I added an extra F..i guess I changed to If It Ffits your Macros..sorry stuttered...LOL
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I think the debates (fights) are funny. Occasionally I will find a little nugget of information in them, that works for my goals and objectives.

Carry on people, mud slinging optional, lol.

lol heart this

Kayla-GIF-LAST_zps1822a1b8.gif
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    943328_116401735196734_748864864_n_zps4ac10a10.jpg

So. Much. This.

On a thread last week, I took the time to send a message to an OP who seemed genuine. The response I got back was that he was just kidding, and wanted to start a ruckus. So now I keep food specific discussions to groups or private conversations, because there really is no point other than that of amusing the people who are amused by such things to responding on the general forum.

Do what works for you. As another poster pointed out, if it's cray-cray, I'll call you on it. IIFYM, moderation, low carb, Paleo/Primal, whatever works, and whatever you can sustain. Like the OP here, I follow a fairly strict food plan for health reasons. It's working for me. But not everyone has my health issues. Carry on with moderation, then :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    To the op, very well put and thank you for your post.

:noway:

Herein lies the problem. Some of us DO NOT think these threads are for debating. Rather, that they are for SUPPORT. Thus, they are a support forum, and not a debate forum. People are looking to receive support for what they need. And what is right and works for one person, may not be right for another. Doesn't make either way right or wrong as long as it's working for the individual.

If someone is actually looking for a debate forum, I suggest they go back to college. Or in some cases, elementary school.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Herein lies the problem. Some of us DO NOT think these threads are for debating. Rather, that they are for SUPPORT. Thus, they are a support forum, and not a debate forum. People are looking to receive support for what they need. And what is right and works for one person, may not be right for another. Doesn't make either way right or wrong as long as it's working for the individual.

If someone is actually looking for a debate forum, I suggest they go back to college. Or in some cases, elementary school.

thanks for offering your opinion, but that did some seem very supportive...

So college is the only place where we should ever debate anything, really?

And if someone offers "support" that is dead wrong..we should all just nod our head and say "great advice, good luck with your journey" ...

I just saw a thread today where someone took advice from a thread poster and gained 5 pounds....maybe if someone had called BS on that advice they would not have one it and gained 5 pounds...hmmmmmm
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

thanks for offering your opinion, but that did some seem very supportive...

So college is the only place where we should ever debate anything, really?

And if someone offers "support" that is dead wrong..we should all just nod our head and say "great advice, good luck with your journey" ...

I just saw a thread today where someone took advice from a thread poster and gained 5 pounds....maybe if someone had called BS on that advice they would not have one it and gained 5 pounds...hmmmmmm

No, it's the way it is done that makes the difference. Someone can say, "I've found this works for me...". Without adding, "and the person above me is an idiot that doesn't know what they are talking about".

Edit: or at least simply politely say, "I do disagree with this poster for the following reason..."
  • daubbermom
    daubbermom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and can't eat simple carbs, but I don't expect anyone else to follow my plan. I love, love, love cheese and that is my weakness. I eat at least 3g of cheese a day but a lot of people harp on this. I just ignore them. Oh well I must be doing something right I've lost 92 lbs in 5.5 months.
  • colorshy
    colorshy Posts: 4
    Options
    I do eat what I want to eat but I try to do the very best in my power to eat better than what I used to.
    Everything has a balance. Everything needs moderation. And variety, too.
    Certain foods really ought to be avoided entirely though. Fast food for example. I mean, if you really HAVE to have it, go for it but ... nothing about fast food is good for your body. Respect your body because it's the only one you've got.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Both the food snobs and the people that tell others they are stupid for cutting out certain foods drive me mad.

People find results on every part of the spectrum. Don't just strut into a thread and tell someone to do what you do (or to not do what you don't do) just because it works for you so it must work for everyone else.

Read what they have to say, try and understand the problems they are having and then, if you have something relevant to say, give advice.