Running NSV

Options
bobf279
bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
I have been losing weight at around 2 lbs per month for the last couple of months and was close to my initial target. I have reset that now so still have 9 lbs to go. 8 weeks ago I started to take part in a free organised parkrun, a 5k run (not race) every Saturday morning. Of my 7 runs I have achieved 5 personal best times and have gone from 28:08 down to 26:28 this week. That is steady progress which anyone could achieve so what makes this my NSV. Well back in January I could barely manage 12 minute miles and my target was to get below 10:30 per miles. My normal training pace is now below 9:30 and my run pace this week 8:30 all of this is much faster than I could have dreamed of a year ago I would never have set a target that low but wow, here I am.

Replies

• thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Nice!

The fact that you're still running after a year is a nice victory as well. Keep it up!
  • andertonarms
    andertonarms Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sub 6 mins / km, is great, keep it up.
    I started controlling my diet and running 12 weeks ago. Weight down 9.5kg, PB 7.5km in 47mins. Entered a 10k at end of Sept, determined to finish and hoping to be below 60mins. Fingers crossed.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's great progress! Keep up the good work! :)
  • LillyWillow
    Options
    That is awesome! I think that just doing a 5k every week is an awesome goal.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's always great to watch your pace go down and down... and it's certainly helped by dropping those pesky pounds! Best of luck to you as you continue your training.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's an awesome NSV! Congratulations!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    WTG OP!!!

Yay for parkruns too, I run those sometimes, when I get the chance, they are great events!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    That's fantastic! It's such a great feeling!! Good for you for participating in park runs too; I wish I had the courage to do that, but my anxiety holds me back.
  • bobf279
    Options
    That's fantastic! It's such a great feeling!! Good for you for participating in park runs too; I wish I had the courage to do that, but my anxiety holds me back.

No need to be concerned parkruns are very friendly training events for people of all abilities, all you have to do is register and turn up before 9 am on a Saturday...............give it a go you'll enjoy it
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Those are great improvements. It's always nice to see your times drop. You definitely have put in some hard work and miles to see those results. Don't have anything like the park runs in my area (actually doesn't seem to be too many runners in my town), tend to do all my miles solo except for races I sign up for. Great work though and keep up the training, I see even better numbers in your future.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I've been doing a lot of running myself and know exactly how you feel about starting out at the 12 min pace initially. I just clock over 75 miles this month by running a 5k I mapped out around the neighborhood and I hit it about 3-5 times a week now.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I've been picking up running as of about 3 weeks ago. I still can't continuously run, but I'm down to 14 minute miles. Super slow, I know, but definitely improving. Keep it up!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not dared do one, but they do park runs on a Saturday morning on the common where I live in Hampshire.
    Sounds fun.
  • bobf279
    Options
    Not dared do one, but they do park runs on a Saturday morning on the common where I live in Hampshire.
    Sounds fun.

They are fun don't be shy just register online, print your barcode and turn up, most groups seem to be friendly talking to the visiting runners at my local parkrun
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! How did you increase your speed? Just more experience?
  • bobf279
    Options
    I just got quicker as my fitness improved and the sort of "competitive" weekly 5k run helps because you do tend to try and beat your previous time. I mix short and long runs routinely and add in a session of circuits and one of resistance training each week
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ecellent progress!

Another parkrun fan here - I would definitely encourage anyone interested to go along, they're a very freindly and welcoming bunch in my experience.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You are my inspiration. Just finished week 3 of C25K and am starting to enjoy the run and the feeling after the run. Can't wait until I can casually walk out the door, run 3.1 miles and jaunt back in the door feeling awesome !
  • bobf279
    Options
    That's awesome! I've been picking up running as of about 3 weeks ago. I still can't continuously run, but I'm down to 14 minute miles. Super slow, I know, but definitely improving. Keep it up!

That's brilliant well done, I started slow and steady and gradually built up the distance I could run/walk in 30 mins until eventually I could run the whole way. Don't push too hard and the improvements will come without discomfort.