Tired of being la Gorda (The Fat one)

Options
Most of my life I had been chubby or obese whathever want to be called. Used to be not skiny but had a better shape from age 11- 14 and I used to feel good.
I want to feel like that again, I don't dream to wear size 2 like I used to then, but I want to be at least what I suppose to be according to my age and height.
My major problem is that nothing seems to motivate me to move, at one point I was almost 300lb. Now I'm 257 but my range runs between 250- 258lb.
I'm a work aholic and don't take time for me, by the time I get home I don't want to do anything and that's scaring me.
I have no friends near by, no dogs (not aloud where I live) , not kids.
Does anyone know of a place to go and exercise mainly to be motivated to do so?
I never taught of saying these but I do need help!!!!

Replies

• fitnessbekhs
    Options
    Not having a family can be helpful in the sense that you may do what you please, fitness-wise, but not helpful in the sense that you have no one to be accountable to. Joining myfitnesspal should help this because you should get on here every day and post your foods, exercise and weight loss. My sister, friends and I are being a huge help to eachother...and we are able to do this from a distance. I recently moved to Colorado from Texas, leaving all of my family and friends far away. I haven't made any new friends so I understand where you're coming from.

My husband is not in the least bit helpful with my weightloss goals. In fact, I've lost 23 lbs and he hasn't made a single encouraging comment or compliment. And he eats McDonalds, donuts and such right in front of me.

I've noticed that coworkers are very helpful with weight loss encouragement. You know that when they all notice a difference, that you've made wonderful progress!!

Keep motivated to become the you that YOU want to be!! Think like the person that you want to be and you will become that person!

My main suggestions are...NO processed foods...and NO Television...NO late night snacks.

Good Luck to you, you soon to be la Flaca!
  • Susan57
    Susan57 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    my neice used 2 call her sisters gorda and gordita think it was. at least it is not the latter, lol!
  • gotstoknow
    Options
    hi there! you have music? feet?--do some dancing in your living room.... eating healthy and moving are the way to go... but
    even when not eating healthy the exercise (no matter what kind) helps. understand --no pets, no kids either... kinda gets
    blah but yes, we are able to work out. it is hard not to have a gym,,, but the fitness t.v. channels, dancing, buying a few pieces
    like a mat, some weights and you will be good to go... and a pair of tennis shoes to walk or jog.. you can do this.
    i love to dance in the living room. you hang in there. if you want to friend for support feel free. we are all here for each other.
    we can do this!!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    this is a good place to start.

alot of it's mental vs. emotional (self talk: I need to but I don't want to.... I really should get up.... I don't want to go through all the trouble of.... ). basically, stop thinking about it, stop engaging in the self talk - it just serves to keep you in place longer and gives you more justification not to do anything - and just do it. Get up, go find a gym somewhere with a beginners class in aerobics or zumba or something - anything. Learn to make friends in places like that. Go to the zoo and speed-walk (as much and as fast as you can), go to parks and when you're taking a water break, keep yourself open to meeting one of the other walkers or runners.

This behavior will solve 3 of your major problems all at once: 1) getting you out there and started 2) making new friends and 3) hleping you stay motivated (meeting friends that are also looking for a healthy lifestyle will be a new support system).

But that initial step is totally on you. Pack some walking shoes and a change of clothes if needed before you leave for work and don't go home after - find a nearby gym, park, something - anything. If you feel like you have to eat before hand, stop at a market and pick up a couple of apples, a box of granola and water.

Good luck!!!
  • jac2lyn
    Options
    When I was little I was the chubby one and my sister would call me fat! It was extremely detremental to me and has caused some issues for me. To be honest it took me a long time to get where I am now and the motivation to do something came from within. I started really working out in college and getting in shape, then I went back to eating and not working out. Finally I met my husband, found some time for me and learned that I need to do this to be healthy - for me and for my future.

Now I am soo in to fitness and health that I am currently going through the steps to become a personal trainer. Im sooo excited about it and cant wait to be certified. This is my ultimate goal and I feel awesome. Once you start to get the mind set you can do anything. I know you can do this, just remember that you are doing it for you. Start slow by walking, look for a boot camp (trust me you can do it) or even a gym that has beginner classes. You are sure to meet people and that will also help motivate you. We have all been in your shoes and you CAN do this...

Good luck, we are all rooting for you!
  • Yolandaweightloss
    Options
    I FEEL YOU ON SO MANY THINGS, BUT ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED IS IF WE REALLY WANT IT, IT WILL HAPPEN FOR US.. IF WE GIVE IT 100%.. I AM 5'2 I USE TO BE 240 POUNDS, & I'M A MOTHER OF 7 CHILDREN & I WORK FROM HOME.. I GOT DOWN TO 140 POUNDS, I GOT SICK, I EAT, & DIDN'T WORK OUT, HAD TO HAVE SURGERY & GOT BACK TO 182.4 POUNDS, THAT WAS ON AUG 18,2010 , I HAVE STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR MYSELF, START KEEPING UP WITH WHAT I EAT, & WORKING OUT AGAIN & NOW I AM @ 173 POUNDS.. MY POINT IS WE ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAVE CONTROL OF WHAT WE WANT.. :0) CHECK ME OUT ON YOUTUBE @ yolandaweightloss

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP :0)
    YOU CAN DO IT :0)
  • Futbol14
    Futbol14 Posts: 5,302 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your comment. Good Luck in your journey
  • Futbol14
    Options
    You all are so awsome. Thanks :happy:
  • Futbol14
    Options
    Hey by any chance any of You lived in Conroe, Texas? Maybe we can meet and go for a walk together as the schedule permits.
  • Futbol14
    Options
    Wao that's great congrats.
  • Futbol14
    Options
    I just went back to read all of your comments Thanks a lot it sure helps a lot. Since that time up to now I had been able to loose quite a bit, still la Gordita, but a Gordita that feels more positive about myself, less shy who keep motivating others, and just like we would say in Spanish Living la Vida Sanamente (gotch you tought I was going to say La Vida Loca, well that 2)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    :hugs: What works for me (and I have gone from 220 to 156, and am still going strong) is to start with the precept that knowledge is power, and that I have choices.

I posit that I have an inner toddler, who used to make my food choices, so I frequently chose poorly, and in excessive quantity. I am pretty familiar with my inner child, so we had a discussion. She doesn't get to choose my diet any more, but she does get to request certain items. The grown up part of me selects the bulk of my day to day food and exercise choices, and is responsible for portion control.

As for workout, what do you like to do? Strolling the mall, if you like to shop, is still "lapping everybody on the couch". I like jump rope, and belly dance (and belly dance you can do at home in front of the television/computer with You Tube or DVDs). I make myself walk the long way as often as practicable. There are three Starbucks within about a block of me; I go to one of the farther ones.

Little steps, and build on your successes.
  • Futbol14
    Options
    Awesome Well I found I like Zumba and as weird as it sounds squats, enjoy walking and love playing with my nephew who is 4 and the one who live closer
  • Futbol14
    Options
    I like Zumba so much that I teach it